The Student Room Group

Any British people care about Israel-Palestine?

Do any British people not of Arab or Jewish lineage care about Palestine or Israel? If so why? Also don't you care about Ulster at all?

As it seems to me loads of people in Britain care about Israel-Palestine, but very few people care about Ulster? I find this very annoying and sort of wonder why people care about something which has nothing to do with them. But care so little about something which matters to our nation.

It's like Britain caring about Syria, I mean I don't care about Syria it just doesn't matter to me or Britain. But you see people supporting Assad or the FSA and Kurdish fighters. I mean why?

I mean I know things about these conflicts because its geopolitics, but I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't care what the outcome is like I do with Ulster. I just feel people waste time, energy and resources caring about things which shouldn't matter.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because the case of 'Ulster' (known to normal people as 'Northern Ireland') was largely put to bed by the Good Friday agreement. Despite what you may say, Syria does matter, and quite a lot more than 'Ulster' at the moment.

I think you're being rather conservative with what you define as 'something which matters to our nation.' People cared about the conflict in NI a lot when it was still a thing; it isn't anymore, so people get on with their lives and worry about things that matter right now.
I don't really care too much, but I believe the Jews deserve the land, they had a tough time after WW2 and are struggling to live in western cultures today with the threat from islamist extremists etc.
I care because I'm generally interested in the ME and the conflict is one of the longest and most complex modern-day conflicts, hence most interesting.
I care as much as I would for any people who have had their land and homes stolen from them.
I don't really understand the conflict at all, leading to me to have no real strong emotions.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
I care because I'm generally interested in the ME and the conflict is one of the longest and most complex modern-day conflicts, hence most interesting.

It isn't complex or interesting. It is just the Jewish invaded after WW2, won a war, created their state. Then set about winning more wars and that's it really.

The actually interesting thing about it isn't Israel-Palestine, but why the other Arab states went to war with Israel.
A large number of British Pakistanis care more about the Israel-Palestinian conflict whilst being completely oblivious as to the atrocities happening in Pakistan itself against minorities such as Ahmedis.
Reply 8
Original post by william walker
It isn't complex or interesting. It is just the Jewish invaded after WW2, won a war, created their state. Then set about winning more wars and that's it really.

The actually interesting thing about it isn't Israel-Palestine, but why the other Arab states went to war with Israel.

"Why the other Arab states went to war with Israel" - it's simple really: a nation that took land (fairly or otherwise) from a Muslim state, is propped up on Judaism, and is funded heavily by the west. This is basically a fundamentalist Muslim's trifecta of wet-dream hatred.
Reply 9
everything matters and everything is connected
Original post by Hydeman
Because the case of 'Ulster' (known to normal people as 'Northern Ireland':wink: was largely put to bed by the Good Friday agreement. Despite what you may say, Syria does matter, and quite a lot more than 'Ulster' at the moment.

I think you're being rather conservative with what you define as 'something which matters to our nation.' People cared about the conflict in NI a lot when it was still a thing; it isn't anymore, so people get on with their lives and worry about things that matter right now.

Syria doesn't matter. The people leaving Syria and coming into Europe matter, but Syria doesn't matter enough for me to take an active side and support it. That's what I am saying. People support Israel or Palestine, they support Assad or the FSA. Where I people just don't care about Ulster. They basically just say both sides are as bad as each other and they were stupid to have the troubles.
Original post by BlindingLight
A large number of British Pakistanis care more about the Israel-Palestinian conflict whilst being completely oblivious as to the atrocities happening in Pakistan itself against minorities such as Ahmedis.

I agree with that.
Syria doesn't matter. The people leaving Syria and coming into Europe matter, but Syria doesn't matter enough for me to take an active side and support it. That's what I am saying. People support Israel or Palestine, they support Assad or the FSA. Where I people just don't care about Ulster. They basically just say both sides are as bad as each other and they were stupid to have the troubles.

Again with your stupid matter-of-fact assertions. :facepalm: The people leaving Syria are leaving for a reason. What you are saying effectively amounts to saying, 'let's worry about the symptom and leave the cause to fester uninterfered with.'

People are free to care about what they like; the Troubles were stupid, as most conflicts over little bits of territory and a sectarian dimension are. The case of Syria is simply one of principle. You are either opposed to democidal dictators, or you aren't. You're clearly in the latter camp and favour isolationism, but let the rest of us be humanitarians, please.
(edited 8 years ago)
Do any British people not of Arab or Jewish lineage care about Palestine or Israel? If so why? Also don't you care about Ulster at all?

As it seems to me loads of people in Britain care about Israel-Palestine, but very few people care about Ulster? I find this very annoying and sort of wonder why people care about something which has nothing to do with them. But care so little about something which matters to our nation.

It's like Britain caring about Syria, I mean I don't care about Syria it just doesn't matter to me or Britain. But you see people supporting Assad or the FSA and Kurdish fighters. I mean why?

I mean I know things about these conflicts because its geopolitics, but I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't care what the outcome is like I do with Ulster. I just feel people waste time, energy and resources caring about things which shouldn't matter.

I care about any humanitarian cause regardless of the geopolitics surrounding it, but the concerns of the Palestinians fall upon the deaf ears of Israel, the rest of the world owes it to the Palestinian civilians to raise their concerns for them in a similar vein to the Syrian voices.

Original post by balanced
I don't really care too much, but I believe the Jews deserve the land, they had a tough time after WW2 and are struggling to live in western cultures today with the threat from islamist extremists etc.

A skewed narrative, in what way do they "deserve" whole ownership of that particular land, the land was handed due to the partition by western nations, Jews had lived in Palestine before the annexation, the issues largely stem from Israel's desire to continually take land from Palestinians and build illegal settlements on to it.

Along with that, they exacerbate the hostility by placing restrictions on land, sea, and air borders of the Gaza strip and have consistently committed atrocities against civilians (no, civilian casualties are not inevitable in an invasion where one side hold superior armaments/munitions which are somewhat accurate).. now that does not mean I hold support for those who choose to physically fight against the "state" of Israel, but their current policy towards Palestinians and their lands gives me no reason to support them, nor should it.

Until they make great strides to negotiate with the Palestinians, who hold a greater right over the land, I feel they should not be surprised by the support many nations give to the Palestinians.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Terry Tibbs
I care as much as I would for any people who have had their land and homes stolen from them.

So do you care about the East Prussians who had their land and homes stolen from them by the Russians? Does anyone even care about that? I don't see any protesting or campaigning to get the Prussians their land and homes back.
Absolutely.

Anything that causes suffering/lives to be lost is a huge concern for me :frown:
A skewed narrative, in what way do they "deserve" whole ownership of that particular land

.They could've just lived alongside the Muslims, but the Muslims wouldn't have that so one side ended up winning. They didn't accept the refugees.

, the land was handed due to the partition by western nations

.The UN proposed to split the country into two, again, the Muslims wouldn't have that.

, Jews had lived in Palestine before the annexation, the issues largely stem from Israel's desire to continually take land from Palestinians and build illegal settlements on to it.

.Not to do with a large influx of refugees? The Muslims wouldn't accept the refugees, and so the conflict starts.

Along with that, they exacerbate the hostility by placing restrictions on land, sea, and air borders of the Gaza strip and have consistently committed atrocities against civilians (no civilian casualties are not inevitable in an invasion where one side hold superior armaments/munitions which are somewhat accurate)..

.With the attitude of the Palestinians, from attacking refugees, to what they do now, it's understandable.

now that does mean I hold support for those who to fight against the "state" of Israel,

.Quite an extremist view, supporting terrorists, but you're entitled to hold it.

but their current policy towards Palestinians and their lands gives me no reason to support them, nor should it. Until they make great strides to negotiate with the Palestinians, who hold a greater right over the land

.The Jews were happy to go live there alongside them, they accepted the Un's deal and wanted to just, well, live there. But the Muslims didn't want to accept the refugees.

, I feel they should not be surprised by the support many nations give to the Palestinians.

.Keep on thinking that :u:
Make some rockets for your friends who "fight against the 'state' of Israel" whilst you're at it.
Original post by Hydeman
Again with your stupid matter-of-fact assertions. :facepalm: The people leaving Syria are leaving for a reason. What you are saying effectively amounts to saying, 'let's worry about the symptom and leave the cause to fester uninterfered with.'

People are free to care about what they like; the Troubles were stupid, as most conflicts over little bits of territory and a sectarian dimension are. The case of Syria is simply one of principle. You are either opposed to democidal dictators, or you aren't. You're clearly in the latter camp and favour isolationism, but let the rest of us be humanitarians, please.

Well what is the cause of the war in Syria? Can Britain have any impact upon it?

You can make the same point about the Iraq war. If you oppose it you must be a supporter of Saddam. What a great argument that is.
Original post by getfunky!
I care about any humanitarian cause regardless of the geopolitics surrounding it, but the concerns of the Palestinians fall upon the deaf ears of Israel, the rest of the world owes it to the Palestinian civilians to raise their concerns for them in a similar vein to the Syrian voices.

But what does it matter? What does it achieve? What does it do?
Well what is the cause of the war in Syria? Can Britain have any impact upon it?

Why does any concern with foreign affairs need to be grounded in whether Britain can do anything about it? It's perfectly possible to think for oneself and decide that a conflict matters and needs a resolution. But, as I said, I wouldn't expect an isolationist to understand that.

The cause(s) of the war in Syria is/are fairly clear to anybody who's followed it since 2011; it's rather telling that you seem to dismiss it as something that doesn't matter when you haven't even taken the time to read up on the background.

You can make the same point about the Iraq war. If you oppose it you must be a supporter of Saddam. What a great argument that is.

Not the way you've phrased it, but yes, that argument is equally applicable to the anti-war movement in the case of Iraq. I'm in favour of the Iraq War, so that hardly seems to me the absurd proposition that you seem to think it is (although I would, as above, describe it as simply a case of being indifferent to democidal dictators rather than actively supporting them).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending