The Student Room Group

Question regarding ethnic Judaism.

So is it true that if your mother is a Jew you are also a Jew??

Okay so my conundrum is that while I'm not Jewish by creed, my ancestors (some odd centuries ago) were Yemenite Jews (both ethnically and religiously) meaning although my main language is Arabic, I have an Arabic name and my nationality would be considered Arab, am I still ethnically a Jew since I have only got Jewish blood?

Scroll to see replies

Is your mother a Jew?
Reply 2
Original post by Zargabaath
Is your mother a Jew?

Ethnically or religiously?
Original post by TheLoneArab
Ethnically or religiously?

Ethnically, as in has every mother on your mothers side been ethnically a Jew? If not, then no you aren't.
Is your mother a Jew?

Are you Jewish?
Original post by EricPiphany
Are you Jewish?

no
Reply 6
Ethnically, as in has every mother on your mothers side been ethnically a Jew? If not, then no you aren't.

That's what I'm wondering in my original post, in terms of blood I do believe that none of my ancestors mixed with anyone and at some point converted to Islam, ditched Hebrew for Arabic and that's how it has been for a few centuries hence my confusion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Technically that makes you ethnically Jewish just probably not by the Jewish definition of Jewish if that makes any sense.
Reply 8
Original post by NEZZAR
Technically that makes you ethnically Jewish just probably not by the Jewish definition of Jewish if that makes any sense.

So I'm Jewish, but not Jewish Jewish if we were Jewishly speaking?
That's what I'm wondering in my original post, in terms of blood I do believe that none of my ancestors mixed with anyone and at some point converted to Islam, ditched Hebrew for Arabic and that's how it has been for a few centuries hence my confusion.

It could be said that almost all Arabs are ethnically Jewish. They were all the same group until some branched off as Muslims. The mother being a Jew thing probably isn't the best way to determine ethnicity.

Have you asked your mum?
It could be said that almost all Arabs are ethnically Jewish. They were all the same group until some branched off as Muslims. The mother being a Jew thing probably isn't the best way to determine ethnicity.

As I'm aware the Jews were from the bloodline of Isaac and the Arabs were from the blood line of Ishmael so no not the same, the Arabs were an ethnic group far before the advent of Islam.
Have you asked your mum?

Her reply was: "yeah, our ancestors were Jews"
As I'm aware the Jews were from the bloodline of Isaac and the Arabs were from the blood line of Ishmael so no not the same, the Arabs were an ethnic group far before the advent of Islam.

My bad, I mistook the Semitic People who came before either group as Jews. Being a Jew is more than just your ethnicity though I think. It's also your national, racial and religious identity.
Her reply was: "yeah, our ancestors were Jews"

If your mum says she's Jewish then you are Jewish.
But want does that even mean. May I ask why you care?
If your mum says she's Jewish then you are Jewish.
But want does that even mean. May I ask why you care?

Because it would be awesome if i was.
Because it would be awesome if i was.

Just pretend you are :smile:
Just pretend you are :smile:

Doesn't feel the same.
Reply 18
You can pick up Judaism as a religion and then you'll definitely be Jewish
Original post by arfah
You can pick up Judaism as a religion and then you'll definitely be Jewish

Na, im ok as i am.