The Student Room Group

Keele A100 Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by SRR3456
Does anyone know if Keele has given out all of the academic- score based interviews?

I spoke to one of the members of the admissions offer a couple weeks back and she said that they were going through all of the applications and then those who get the full academic score are ranked on their UKCAT. Whilst they're going through the applications for the first time, they give interveiws to those with really high UKCAT scores as they'll almost definitley be in the top 100 (if they have the full academic score). They do the same with the R and R form - those with really high scores are invited as they'll definitley be in the top whatever number of applicants. They then go through it again and rank everyone to see who to invite.

This is what she was said to me and lead me to believe that they haven't given them all out as they're just going through the initial screening process.

Sorry for the long winded explanation if you read all this!!!!!!
Original post by rdj98
I spoke to one of the members of the admissions offer a couple weeks back and she said that they were going through all of the applications and then those who get the full academic score are ranked on their UKCAT. Whilst they're going through the applications for the first time, they give interveiws to those with really high UKCAT scores as they'll almost definitley be in the top 100 (if they have the full academic score). They do the same with the R and R form - those with really high scores are invited as they'll definitley be in the top whatever number of applicants. They then go through it again and rank everyone to see who to invite.

This is what she was said to me and lead me to believe that they haven't given them all out as they're just going through the initial screening process.

Sorry for the long winded explanation if you read all this!!!!!!

Thanks for the explanation. I was just a bit concerned because my AS grades haven't been certified so I'm not sure whether they will give me an academic score. I think my AS grades are in my reference though.
What exactly is a good academic score and what do they use(GCSEs A level). I got 3As in A2 and 640 ukcat, is that good or bad????
Original post by ruhullah
What exactly is a good academic score and what do they use(GCSEs A level). I got 3As in A2 and 640 ukcat, is that good or bad????

Obviously it's good but to get the academic excellence it's normally all A*s at GCSE and A-Level and a high UKCAT
Original post by ruhullah

at the open day they said 7A*s at GCSE with around a 700UKCAT should get you an interview based on academics
I've not got an official certificate for my AS grades, I only have written evidence from my school, please can someone help me i'm freaking out
Reply 466
Original post by stephannalee
at the open day they said 7A*s at GCSE with around a 700UKCAT should get you an interview based on academics

Did they mention that the full acdemic score, 50/50, was the threshold for interviews based on academics?
Reply 467
I don't understand why they allocate spaces for interview based on academic achievement for this particular course. As long as you can manage to achieve the typical offer requirements grades then that shows you are capable to take on the academic challenge for the course. Plus people that are extremely clever doesn't mean they are good doctors. Being a doctor and studying medicine is a lot more than being clever. You must posses the non academic qualities that separates the able candidates from the non able candidates. I find it extremely stupid tbh.

P.S. I've applied for keele myself lmao
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inam97
I don't understand why they allocate spaces for interview based on academic achievement for this particular course. As long as you can manage to achieve the typical offer requirements grades then that shows you are capable to take on the academic challenge for the course. Plus people that are extremely clever doesn't mean they are good doctors. Being a doctor and studying medicine is a lot more than being clever. You must posses the non academic qualities that separates the able candidates from the non able candidates. I find it extremely stupid tbh.

P.S. I've applied for keele myself lmao

There aren't many academic interviews given so I don't know why people are bothered to be honest. They also give interviews for exceptional circumstances to give other people a fair chance and the rest are based on the normal roles and responsibilities form along with minimum requirements
Original post by rdj98
Did they mention that the full acdemic score, 50/50, was the threshold for interviews based on academics?

I don't think so think they literally just rank everyone and give the top 100 academics interviews, they said you'd be very unlikely to get an interview based on academics with less than 7A*s at GCSE
I don't think so think they literally just rank everyone and give the top 100 academics interviews, they said you'd be very unlikely to get an interview based on academics with less than 7A*s at GCSE

The minimum academic threshold was 7 As not 7A*'s at the open day. They couldn't ask for everyone to have at least 7A*s at GCSE just to get an interview!
Original post by Charlottemc1234
The minimum academic threshold was 7 As not 7A*'s at the open day. They couldn't ask for everyone to have at least 7A*s at GCSE just to get an interview!

i didn't say it was 7A*s to get an interview via roles and responsibilities form just to get in via the places for the top 100 academics (I asked them specifically to make sure since I have more than 7As but only 5 of them are A*s)
i didn't say it was 7A*s to get an interview via roles and responsibilities form just to get in via the places for the top 100 academics (I asked them specifically to make sure since I have more than 7As but only 5 of them are A*s)

Ahh makes sense :smile:
i've got an interview on the 6th of jan and i'm so nervous! i've never done MMI before, and i am really scared for the maths test as i hate those style of questions!
good luck to everyone still waiting, and to anyone with an interview coming up!
Original post by EmBem03
i've got an interview on the 6th of jan and i'm so nervous! i've never done MMI before, and i am really scared for the maths test as i hate those style of questions!
good luck to everyone still waiting, and to anyone with an interview coming up!

Hey! I have an interview on the 6th Jan too - and am super nervous! Haven't done MMI but friends who've done it say that they prefer it to the traditional. Also dreading the maths test! Not sure how to really prepare for the maths, apart from going through their sample paper. Will see you on the 6th! Good luck to all those who haven't heard yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied with 7 A and 3 B at GCSE and 3A and a B at AS with a UKCAT of 628 band 4 have I any sliver of a chance of interview?
Original post by BigDreamer123
I applied with 7 A and 3 B at GCSE and 3A and a B at AS with a UKCAT of 628 band 4 have I any sliver of a chance of interview?

Of course! If your roles and responsibilities form was good then there's no reason you shouldn't get an interview
Anyone that's already been to an interview at Keele, did they happen to mention when we'd hear back. I was at the 9th of December interview but never heard what they said about offers/rejections and when back to us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When do keels stop giving interviews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending