The Student Room Group

Medicine or dentistry

When I think of studying dentistry I think why not just do medicine instead. I like both options but I don't know what is best for me and easier for me to get into.

my gcse's - 5A's 5B's 1C I'm maths which I am retaking privately
A-level choices : chemistry, biology, art & design and I will pick up an AS level in year 13

I have attended a workshop by an dental hygienist and done 2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy

Scroll to see replies

Medicine has a much greater range than dentistry.

If you have a fetish for teeth then go for dentistry.
It depends on what you want to do. Dentistry might be the better option in terms of pay and hours, but if medicine does offer a greater range of specialities and less snobbery for being a 'failed doctor' (even though dentistry is more competitive than medicine at just about every UK university).

You will need to get a little bit more experience before applying though. Make sure you smash the UKCAT (and BMAT, if applicable) because your GCSEs might disadvantage you for some universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aishanazir75
When I think of studying dentistry I think why not just do medicine instead. I like both options but I don't know what is best for me and easier for me to get into.

A-level choices : chemistry, biology, art & design and I will pick up an AS level in year 13

I have attended a workshop by an dental hygienist and done 2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy

They are both extremely different things and if you have that sort of thought process (why not just do medicine instead) its pretty clear you haven't really researched both to any great extent. It's like trying to decide between a lawyer or a pilot. Both very different
Both are excellent, but Medicine gives you the edge, respect etc...

They're very different jobs with very different training pathways and lifestyles. It's definitely worth doing more reading about them both and organising a work experience placement in each. The work experience you have so far won't really allow you to make an informed decision about either job.

Original post by Zain-A
They are both extremely different things and if you have that sort of thought process (why not just do medicine instead) its pretty clear you haven't really researched both to any great extent. It's like trying to decide between a lawyer or a pilot. Both very different

Most sensible reply so far.

Original post by 06sulraj
Both are excellent, but Medicine gives you the edge, respect etc...

If we're talking for real and not just indulging in a bit of medics-vs-dentists banter, who would seriously pick a career for the rest of their life based on wishy washy things like "edge" and "respect".

If it's the public you're trying to impress, even as a doctor the ignorant amongst them will still belittle you if you decide to become a GP, a psychiatrist, a physician, etc. It's really only neurosurgeons and cardiothoracic surgeons who seem to get universal adoration. That's why caring about "respect" and "prestige" is a mug's game.
Original post by BlindingLight
Medicine has a much greater range than dentistry.

If you have a fetish for teeth then go for dentistry.

I don't have a fetish for teeth and I went for dentistry :confused:
Original post by preetg97
I don't have a fetish for teeth and I went for dentistry :confused:

Everything I say online is the truth :yep:
Reply 8
I like both and I know they are at very different ends of the spectrum, I actually want to do medicine but feel as if I am not good enough
I like both and I know they are at very different ends of the spectrum, I actually want to do medicine but feel as if I am not good enough

The entry requirements are very similar, dentistry isn't a less competitive option I'm afraid.

Why do you think you wouldn't be good enough?
[QUOTE=Democracy;61633001]The entry requirements are very similar, dentistry isn't a less competitive option I'm afraid.

Why do you think you wouldn't be good enough?
I got a C in maths and Im retaking it but Im afraid of being looked down by a university but Im still going to try and persevere to get a grade B.
I wanted to be a Dr since I was 8 but I let everyone put me down about how hard it is to get in and i got pressurised to consider dentistry or optometry which I thought there was no harm in considering.
In all honesty I want to study medicine at KCL since yr 10, I will be the first in my mothers and fathers side to go to Uni, my father doesnt speak a word of English, my mother didnt even do her GCSE's as she was 17 when she moved to England and my grandpa came to England so his children have a better future. I want to make my family and grandpa proud by studying something I want which is medicine and having a job where I can interact with people. I want to do medicine because I want to help people and Im interested in it. I know its hard work but I will try my best. I know there is a lot more to it
(edited 8 years ago)
I got a C in maths and Im retaking it but Im afraid of being looked down by a university but Im still going to try and persevere to get a grade B.
I wanted to be a Dr since I was 8 but I let everyone put me down about how hard it is to get in and my parents pressurise me to do dentistry or optometry which I thought there was no harm in considering.
In all honesty I want to study medicine at KCL since yr 10, I will be the first in my mothers and fathers side to go to Uni, my father doesnt speak a word of English, my mother didnt even do her GCSE's as she was 17 when she moved to England and my grandpa came to England so his children have a better future. I want to make my family and grandpa proud by studying something I want which is medicine and having a job where I can interact with people. I want to do medicine because I want to help people and Im interested in it. I know its hard work but I will try my best

I think it would be best to try and take it step by step. Yep, retaking the GCSE in maths would be a good idea as well as trying to do well in your current AS levels so you can get an AAA prediction. That should be your focus for the next few months (as well as trying to organise work experience for the summer). Once you've done your exams and got your results, you'll be in a better position to decide whether or not to apply for medicine.

It would be worth trying to explain to your parents that dentistry is just as competitive as medicine and definitely not an easier option.
If you want to do medicine then find a way - as others have said it's certainly not easier to get into than dentistry. Your application to dentistry will probably also be weaker if you're not actually that interested in it as a career because you actually wanted to be a doctor.
Original post by Democracy

If it's the public you're trying to impress, even as a doctor the ignorant amongst them will still belittle you if you decide to become a GP, a psychiatrist, a physician, etc. It's really only neurosurgeons and cardiothoracic surgeons who seem to get universal adoration. That's why caring about "respect" and "prestige" is a mug's game.

Except for from those of us who actually have to work with them... :wink:
They're very different jobs with very different training pathways and lifestyles. It's definitely worth doing more reading about them both and organising a work experience placement in each. The work experience you have so far won't really allow you to make an informed decision about either job.

Most sensible reply so far.

If we're talking for real and not just indulging in a bit of medics-vs-dentists banter, who would seriously pick a career for the rest of their life based on wishy washy things like "edge" and "respect".

Don't look at me, babe it's overwhelming as hell. And I agree with you.
Original post by Helenia
Except for from those of us who actually have to work with them... :wink:

Oh indeed, I meant from the public. We had a nice neurosurgeon give us teaching once though. But he was still quite junior, maybe they haven't had time to stamp it out of him yet.
Reply 16
Remember to ask universities whether they accept retakes because there will be a handful of universities for both medicine and dentistry who don't accept retakes at GCSE, aside from that, by what you've said it seems pretty clear that you'd be better suited to medicine as it's something you seem to feel passionate about. What i will say however is that make sure you're going into medicine because it's your choice too because if it's to make your family proud, as noble of a cause it may seem, you don't want to spend the rest of you're life doing a job you've chosen only to make other people happy, i'm sure they'll be proud if your the absolute best in your field whether that's medicine, dentistry, engineering, law or any other course that interests you. Lastly, if you do choose to go ahead and gear yourself for medicine, be sure to be flexible and expect to apply to universities you potentially want to go to but have the best shot at. For example, your GCSEs are good but I wouldn't set my mind on KCL or Birmingham with them. So do your research, apply strategically, like someone has already said: 'smash the UKCAT', stay focused and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make it into one of the most competitive courses that is medicine! :smile:
Oh indeed, I meant from the public. We had a nice neurosurgeon give us teaching once though. But he was still quite junior, maybe they haven't had time to stamp it out of him yet.

Oh, some of the registrars were quite nice to me (though I have theoretically equivalent seniority on my side now) - it's just not THAT exciting!
Is it possible to apply to dentistry as a graduate from biomed ?
I heard a lot of people do it and it's less competitive for dentistry but a lot more competitive for medicine .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chez231
Is it possible to apply to dentistry as a graduate from biomed ?
I heard a lot of people do it and it's less competitive for dentistry but a lot more competitive for medicine .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is possible. Just check with specific universities' entry criteria first. Don't always assume it's less competitive as it will depend on the university and the applicant cohort.

Just be sure it is what you want to do. Remember there are upsides and downsides to every career and the grass isn't always greener.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending