The Student Room Group

H (Proton) NMR and C13 NMR

Can someone help me understand how to implement these two methods into a Question, in particular an OCR question?

I understand the concept of these methods, but I don't know how to use it in a Question in order to get full marks and how to differentiate between the two - For example: A comparison question.

Thanks!
Original post by Abz98
Can someone help me understand how to implement these two methods into a Question, in particular an OCR question?

I understand the concept of these methods, but I don't know how to use it in a Question in order to get full marks and how to differentiate between the two - For example: A comparison question.

Thanks!

Have you looked at an NMR question and the corresponding mark scheme in past papers?
Reply 2
Yup! Some papers just say ' 'compound A' has 4 peaks' - 2 marks..
Reply 3
I do AQA but I assume the principles of NMR questions are similar. It's mostly just deducing structural formula of a compound using its NMR data. Or deciding which NMR spectrum matches to which compound. It's all quite fun, if you have enough time to figure it out like a puzzle, that is. xD
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Abz98
Yup! Some papers just say ' 'compound A' has 4 peaks' - 2 marks..

Give me an example paper.
Original post by Mimi97
I do AQA but I assume the principles of NMR questions are similar. It's mostly just deducing structural formula of a compound using its NMR data. Or deciding which NMR graph matches to which compound. It's all quite fun, if you have enough time to figure it out like a puzzle, that is. xD

Perleeze Mimi97. NMR Graph! It's a spectrum. :biggrin:
Reply 6
An Example:
Reply 7
Original post by TeachChemistry
Perleeze Mimi97. NMR Graph! It's a spectrum. :biggrin:

Whoops, let me off please, it's been a looong day juggling chemistry and psychology. xD
Reply 8
Where would all of the four peaks be?
Reply 9
Give me an example paper.

Above^^
Original post by Abz98
Above^^

Do you understand the fact that carbons in different environments can have different chemical shifts?
Reply 11
Original post by Abz98
Where would all of the four peaks be?

image.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1451586017.154116.jpg

See if this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Do you understand the fact that carbons in different environments can have different chemical shifts?

Yup - These can be seen in a Spectra
Original post by Abz98
Yup - These can be seen in a Spectra

The two people above have shown you the assignment so that should help.
Reply 15
Aha Cheers!
Reply 16
So, the Chemical Shifts would be between:
3x 4-56
1x 160 - 210
??

Quick Reply

Latest