The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 (IAL): Physics on the Move, January 2016

Hey Guys, How are you all?

January exams are just around the corner, and I didn't see any Unit 4 Jan 2016 thread yet. So hopefully we all can discuss it here.

So.......how well are you prepared for the exams? Which topic do you find the toughest? I hate Electromagnetism xD

Feel free to post your doubts here and have a nice day :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a C grade sadly so giving AS units as well. :frown:
wbu?
Reply 2
Hi
"Two parallel wires attract each other if they are carrying current in the same direction."
Can anyone explain why? :smile:
Original post by reefy15
Hi
"Two parallel wires attract each other if they are carrying current in the same direction."

When a wire has current passing through, it produces a magnetic field.
So wire produces a magnetic field on each other.

When you have a current passing through a conductor in a magnetic field, there will be a force acting on the conductor. By using Fleming's left hand rule, you will figure out the direction of the two forces and they actually points towards each other, hence wires attract each other.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
OK. So there was this MCQ on the large hadron collider
It
Says that large energy is needed to???

The answer is to create particles with larger mass
Can anyone tell me why???
Original post by alavisteam
OK. So there was this MCQ on the large hadron collider
It
Says that large energy is needed to???

The answer is to create particles with larger mass
Can anyone tell me why???

What are the other options?
What I knew is that the large energy is needed to accelerate the particles, as the particles gets faster and faster, their inertial mass gets larger (not exactly an increase in mass, but increase in inertia, and you now need more energy to accelerate it). So at the end you would need infinite energy to accelerate particles to speed of light.
Original post by hank_the_tank
What are the other options?
What I knew is that the large energy is needed to accelerate the particles, as the particles gets faster and faster, their inertial mass gets larger (not exactly an increase in mass, but increase in inertia, and you now need more energy to accelerate it). So at the end you would need infinite energy to accelerate particles to speed of light.

The other options were
A. To produce individual quarks
B. annihilate protons and antiprotons
C. Allow protons to collide with other protons
D.create particles with larger mass
The other options were
A. To produce individual quarks
B. annihilate protons and antiprotons
C. Allow protons to collide with other protons
D.create particles with larger mass

hmm.. well personally i would say the large energy is used to accelerate the particles in LHC. But if I choose one I would pick A , to produce individual quarks. Scientist used huge amount of energy to accelerates particle to almost speed of light, so that when it collides, it has an great impact force and split the internal elements of an particle.

But as you said the answer is D, I really don't understand what it means. Does it mean something like nuclear fusion (creating particles with larger mass), or like i said accelerate particles so that they have larger relativistic mass
hmm.. well personally i would say the large energy is used to accelerate the particles in LHC. But if I choose one I would pick A , to produce individual quarks. Scientist used huge amount of energy to accelerates particle to almost speed of light, so that when it collides, it has an great impact force and split the internal elements of an particle.

But as you said the answer is D, I really don't understand what it means. Does it mean something like nuclear fusion (creating particles with larger mass), or like i said accelerate particles so that they have larger relativistic mass

To produce individual quarks seems logical BUT
quarks can't exist on their own
They either exist in pairs (meson) or
Triplets(baryons)
To produce individual quarks seems logical BUT
quarks can't exist on their own
They either exist in pairs (meson) or
Triplets(baryons)

oh Yea you're right. They attempt to split everything but they can't see individual quarks. Sorry about that
Hi everyone

How is your revision going?
Original post by reefy15
Hi

I Just uploaded a video walkthrough of the paper, with that question on it, to my YouTube Channel (Jan 2012 Physics On The Move)

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElvishJumpSuit

There are several others there too for U4 and U1 (old course)

Enjoy
Reply 12
hey i want an advise about the good books to refer i actually have 3 book but which one is the best to get good grades
the book are hodder and student book and advanced physics for you ....\
so plz can anyone help
thanks
Reply 13
oh Yea you're right. They attempt to split everything but they can't see individual quarks. Sorry about that

plz can u help me
which book is the best book
Original post by senshi1
plz can u help me
which book is the best book

Umm personally Im using the Students Book published by edexcel, coz i think the syllabus they cover would be exactly that covered by the edexcel examination. But you should also read others to see if there are additional information that Students Book didnt mention, it would be an advantage of you to read more than one textbook tbh :smile:
Reply 15
Umm personally Im using the Students Book published by edexcel, coz i think the syllabus they cover would be exactly that covered by the edexcel examination. But you should also read others to see if there are additional information that Students Book didnt mention, it would be an advantage of you to read more than one textbook tbh :smile:

ok thnx bro :wink:
Why are the grade boundaries so high wtf? Compared to units 1 and 2
Original post by Student403
Hi everyone

How is your revision going?

**** lol FML :L
Original post by TheGuyWhoPhysics
**** lol FML :L

Eugh same - good to know you're taking it though :smile:
Original post by Student403
Eugh same - good to know you're taking it though :smile:

how are you 403 ?, long time no speak