The Student Room Group

English Grammer etc. Help?

Hello , I'm quite embarrassed about the fact that even though I've been speaking English for my entire life, my grammer is apparling.
Therefore, I was hoping someone could suggest any useful methods to improve grammer. I'm considering installing apps.

I'm also trying to increase my vocab
This screams "SAT" at me haha. (that's a standardized test used by US universities which tests exactly what you're looking for)

I'd recommend doing practice sections from the Writing section of the SAT. Try these!

http://www.cracksat.net/sat/identifying-sentence-errors/
http://www.cracksat.net/sat/improving-sentences/

For vocab:
http://www.cracksat.net/sat/sentence-completion/
Reply 2
go to WHSmith and get an english grammar workbook, I doubt apps will help too much, actually writing content helps like stories/creative writing basically all the coursework u do at GCSE

did u not get english lessons at school?
Original post by batoot
go to WHSmith and get an english grammar workbook, I doubt apps will help too much, actually writing content helps like stories/creative writing basically all the coursework u do at GCSE

This isn't really taught (grammar, I mean) at school
Reply 4
Original post by batoot

I've actually obtained a Grade C at GCSE Language
Reply 5
Original post by Student403
This isn't really taught (grammar, I mean) at school

grammar is like semi colon use etc right?
i was taught grammar lessons at school... maybe just me then
Original post by batoot
grammar is like semi colon use etc right?
i was taught grammar lessons at school... maybe just me then

Yeah. I can't remember learning it tbh :/ Which school system did you attend?
Reply 7
Original post by Student403
Yeah. I can't remember learning it tbh :/ Which school system did you attend?

it wasn't private but it was a grammar school
Reply 8
Original post by Anonbabes
I've actually obtained a Grade C at GCSE Language

ur standard of grammar skills will also be at a C, if u want to improve the first answer is the best, u just need practise :smile:
Hello, I'm quite embarrassed about the fact that even though I've been speaking English for my entire life, my grammar is appalling.
Therefore, I was hoping someone could suggest any useful methods to improve my grammar. At the moment I'm considering installing apps.

I'm also trying to increase my vocab.

I'd say write and be corrected.
(And perhaps try out the Elevate app.)
(And write on word, and see where the red (for spelling), and more importantly green, lines appear. Green is for grammar.)

To increase vocab, read books.
(P.S. Although "vocab" isn't a word, I use it plenty in speech and even in posts, so I don't care. :tongue:)
Reply 10
Hello , I'm quite embarrassed about the fact that even though I've been speaking English for my entire life, my grammer is apparling.
Therefore, I was hoping someone could suggest any useful methods to improve grammer. I'm considering installing apps.

I'm also trying to increase my vocab

volunteer into an old people's home
they usually speak old fashioned correct English
Reply 11
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'd say write and be corrected.
(And perhaps try out the Elevate app.)
(And write on word, and see where the red (for spelling), and more importantly green, lines appear. Green is for grammar.)

To increase vocab, read books.
(P.S. Although "vocab" isn't a word, I use it plenty in speech and even in posts, so I don't care. :tongue:)

Why did you highlight somethings? They're spelt correctly
Why did you highlight somethings? They're spelt correctly

No they weren't; it's not "grammer" nor "apparling".
Then you included an unnecessary space before a comma.
Reply 13
No they weren't; it's not "grammer" nor "apparling".
Then you included an unnecessary space before a comma.

Oh! You're right. At least I've acknowledged something now, it's spelt as grammar and apparlling
Oh! You're right. At least I've acknowledged something now, it's spelt as grammar and apparlling

appalling*
Reply 15
appalling*

Oops :frown:.

I downloaded the app you suggested, but I can't really tell how it's going to enhance/ improve my grammar.

Do you think my grammar is extremely bad?
Oops :frown:.

I downloaded the app you suggested, but I can't really tell how it's going to enhance/improve my grammar.

Do you think my grammar is extremely bad?

You just need to write, and get it corrected.

Like now I've corrected the errors in your post, you will (hopefully) no longer do them.

That app was just something from memory; I can't remember how good it is or if it would suit your needs.

Have you got Microsoft Word or a variant of such?

Just remember, improving your English takes practice and the effects aren't instantaneous. It's something that occurs over time.

(And no, your grammar isn't bad. You just have a problem with spacing.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
You just need to write, and get it corrected.

Like now I've corrected the errors in your post, you will (hopefully) no longer do them.

That app was just something from memory; I can't remember how good it is or if it would suit your needs.

Have you got Microsoft Word or a variant of such?

Just remember, improving your English takes practice and the effects aren't instantaneous. It's something that occurs over time.

(And no, your grammar isn't bad. You just have a problem with spacing.)

That's nice to hear! So the bit you highlighted, does it just need a space?
That's nice to hear! So the bit you highlighted, does it just need a space?

No; I've corrected it for you. :smile: The highlighted parts were just showing where I have corrected/edited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending