The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cerlohee
I'm a current physics first year so feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Obvious bias here but I would really recommend Durham over Lancaster, especially if you're interested in astro!

Hi! Thank you so much - I was going to go and find a first year! :biggrin: I have loooads of questions, so you really don't need to answer them all!

I'm kind of worrying if I go to Durham I'll be miles behind other people - I wasn't expecting to be made an offer and it still kind of feels like a mistake! Do most people cope with the step up? What are the lectures like, and what are the lecturers like? What's the work load been like, and what kind of contact hours do you have?

Thank you so much! ps. Happy Christmas for tomorrow :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by sabby_h
I'm doing Sociology and Anthropology!
What about you?

I applied for anthropology and sociology too! I got my offer last week. What college did you apply to?
Original post by snowflake39
Still waiting, have you heard back yet?

what languages have you guys applied for? I've applied for Spanish and Arabic and I got my Offer on like December 11th I think (AAA)
Applied to St Hild and St Bede!
Oh, I applied for French and Russian. Hope to hear soon next year!
Got an AA offer for History earlier this month :biggrin:
I think I applied to St Chad's or St Mary's, but UCAS says that my campus code is "Z", which doesn't seem to correspond to any of the colleges :s-smilie:.

Anyone else with the same issue?
Original post by TommyBrecon
Got an AA offer for History earlier this month :biggrin:
I think I applied to St Chad's or St Mary's, but UCAS says that my campus code is "Z", which doesn't seem to correspond to any of the colleges :s-smilie:.

Anyone else with the same issue?

Yes, it happens to everyone I think. It stays like that until college allocation in February :smile:
Original post by loveire&song
Hi! I'm another Physics offer holder as of like a week ago. Which college did you apply to? Are you still leaning towards Manchester? I'm torn between Durham and Lancaster

Hey st aidans :smile: ive firmed manchester and insured exeter so had to reject durham!
Original post by Patrick2810
Hey st aidans :smile: ive firmed manchester and insured exeter so had to reject durham!

Ooh - good luck, I hope get the grades you need for Manchester! :biggrin:
Hey to all the people getting offers, what are your GCSE results like?
Original post by productivesketch

Mine were (for Physics) 6 A*s 4 As 1 B - as people have said, GCSEs don't tend to be that important. If you have a good personal statement, references and predicted grades, that's better than having outstanding GCSEs. Also, I'm sure they'll look at contexual data, like compare you to how well your school did on average. Try not to worry :smile:
I'm just wondering. The acceptance rate for Durham IR is 46%, however is that inflated because of all the people applying who have low AS grades - and do those applying with full A2 grades get put at a disadvantage?
Original post by Pauli14
Yes, it happens to everyone I think. It stays like that until college allocation in February :smile:

Oh I see thanks :smile: Have you decided on which college to go for?
I'm just wondering. The acceptance rate for Durham IR is 46%, however is that inflated because of all the people applying who have low AS grades - and do those applying with full A2 grades get put at a disadvantage?

I think if you've got full A2 results you are more likely to get unconditional offers, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a disadvantage at all :smile:
Oh I see thanks :smile: Have you decided on which college to go for?

I applied to Collingwood🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

9A* 4A for Geology

But I got a D in AS Maths, so don't panic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pauli14
I applied to Collingwood🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh cool, I don't know which one to choose :s-smilie: there are so many :frown:
oh cool, I don't know which one to choose :s-smilie: there are so many :frown:

I know!! I took the test they had on the website to choose a college and that one looked amazing ☺️☺️
What course did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pauli14
I know!! I took the test they had on the website to choose a college and that one looked amazing ☺️☺️
What course did you apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied to do History :smile: . Yeah, since I've never visited Durham before, I don't really know what each college is actually like :s I might try that quiz tbf, thanks :biggrin: Which course did you applied to? & Collingwood looks like a relatively big and new college but is that what you liked about it?
Original post by loveire&song
Hi! Thank you so much - I was going to go and find a first year! :biggrin: I have loooads of questions, so you really don't need to answer them all!

I'm kind of worrying if I go to Durham I'll be miles behind other people - I wasn't expecting to be made an offer and it still kind of feels like a mistake! Do most people cope with the step up? What are the lectures like, and what are the lecturers like? What's the work load been like, and what kind of contact hours do you have?

Thank you so much! ps. Happy Christmas for tomorrow :biggrin:

Nah, I don't mind answering them if it's helpful :smile:
If they've made you an offer, they clearly think that you will be able to cope with the degree. You should trust the admissions tutors over any self doubt you may have. I wouldn't really say it's been a step up, or maybe it's not noticeable because there's so much change going on (new location, new people etc.) that it gets lost in the tide.
Erm, lectures are mostly good! Although we have out own textbook specifically for Durham so sometimes lectures won't be as useful as just learning from the textbook. Obvs, sometimes learning from the textbook won't be as useful as lectures too, so there's that!
The lecturers are really friendly. I don't feel scared to go up to them after lectures if I didn't quite understand anything, and they're really helpful in their email replies.
For physics, almost all of our homework is due in on a monday, so my workload is tiny except for on Sunday when I try to get everything done!
You can find the contact hours on the website, but I have a 1 hour physics tutorial, 2x1 hour maths tutorials, a 3 hour lab session and 14 hours of lectures a week.
I'm making a blog where people can ask other questions they have too: http://askadurhamstudent.tumblr.com/
Applied to do History :smile: . Yeah, since I've never visited Durham before, I don't really know what each college is actually like :s I might try that quiz tbf, thanks :biggrin: Which course did you applied to? & Collingwood looks like a relatively big and new college but is that what you liked about it?

I haven't visited either and yeah that's one of the main reasons why I chose it.
I applied to Biosciences☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest