The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThanosTsar
Well I just want to have a look at the monologue not the whole script . If it suits me then I'll buy the play through amazon...The actor is young and a recent graduate of LAMDA so I think he'll understand my position...I don't have anything to lose so I guess I should just send the message and hope for the best ! =/

Did he graduate this year?
Original post by ageshallnot
Did he graduate this year?

No, in 2014.
You know like there's a kind-of general 'rule' where you choose a monologue where the character is speaking to someone else, rather than saying their thoughts aloud to no-one...

Well, finding a monologue around 2 mins in length where there's another character just listening is proving to be difficult - especially as mine needs to be a screen production rather than stage.

Does anyone reckon it'd be acceptable to do one where the character is like reminiscing/reflecting (e.g. talking about a memory) where there isn't another character present - but it would also make sense for there to potentially be another person listening?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamiiSmiith
well ive not really looked at Bristol. Im currently thinking of applying for Huddersfield, Hull, St Mary's Twickenham, Lincoln and Staffordshire :smile:

Hi JamiiSmith,

My names Christian, I have just graduated at St Marys on the Physical Theatre course and now currently working for them.

I'm from Liverpool and moved here 4 years ago now...

I know the three pathways pretty well so if you have any questions about Drama St Marys, course content or student life?? Let me know!

Christian :smile:
Original post by JamiiSmiith
well ive not really looked at Bristol. Im currently thinking of applying for Huddersfield, Hull, St Mary's Twickenham, Lincoln and Staffordshire :smile:

Heya,

Exciting to hear you're thinking about Staffs. :h:

Have you managed to get to any open days for any of the universities you're thinking about? They're a really good way to get a feel for the course and for the uni itself. We've got one coming up on the 5th December.

You can check out the FAQ for Staffs on TSR here which tells you more about the uni. You can also ask me anything about the uni and I'll be able to help you out :h:

Katie
Has anyone had any auditions yet? If you have can you post some info on how the process went? What vibe you got personally? How many people where on your particular day etc? I haven't applied yet as I need my auditions to be in January so I can take holiday at work, but i'm eager to get a general understanding of the process. Thanks in advance!
Original post by thegoldeneggcup
You know like there's a kind-of general 'rule' where you choose a monologue where the character is speaking to someone else, rather than saying their thoughts aloud to no-one...

Well, finding a monologue around 2 mins in length where there's another character just listening is proving to be difficult - especially as mine needs to be a screen production rather than stage.

Does anyone reckon it'd be acceptable to do one where the character is like reminiscing/reflecting (e.g. talking about a memory) where there isn't another character present - but it would also make sense for there to potentially be another person listening?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both of my monologues are speaking outloud, not to a particular person. I'm not sure where you heard about this general 'rule' but I don't think it matters. Aslong as it fits the criteria it should be fine. This is my general understanding of it anyway from what I have heard and read.
This may or may not be a favorable thing to do, but I only found that two monologues speak to me - one classical, and one contemporary. My question is whether or not it's okay to use the same monologues at your auditions so you don't have the hassle of memorizing more than what you can do. I have a third classical monologue that I'm looking at, but it's not speaking to me like I thought it would be.

Any answers would be helpful. Thanks!
Original post by cytja_0288
This may or may not be a favorable thing to do, but I only found that two monologues speak to me - one classical, and one contemporary. My question is whether or not it's okay to use the same monologues at your auditions so you don't have the hassle of memorizing more than what you can do. I have a third classical monologue that I'm looking at, but it's not speaking to me like I thought it would be.

Any answers would be helpful. Thanks!

I think it's crazy to have a different monologue for every single drama school...

Personally I will prepare 2 classical monologues from central's list just for Central and a 3rd classical (one not included on Central's list) for the rest of the schools...My contemporary will be the same for every school...

Now if any school, other than Central, asks me for a second monologue on the first round, I will use one of the two from Central's list.
Reply 289
Anyone has tips on how to write the "why do you want to be an actor/why do you want this school" essay without sounding cheesy or generalising? Especially for people who are not used to writing about feelings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can people who already hold a higher education degree and are applying to drama schools help me with this:

Do we have to declare all university module grades on the application of those drama schools that go through UCAS?

I was at uni for four years 2010-2014, do I have to declare all 25 module grades?? (some were not counted in the final result)

Thanks a lot !
(edited 8 years ago)
Question about LAMDA: I know that you can have chairs, but does anyone know if there might be a small table available?

Thanks!
Reply 292
Original post by streether
Question about LAMDA: I know that you can have chairs, but does anyone know if there might be a small table available?

Thanks!

We have chairs in every room so you can use one of them. Unless you're lucky there won't be any tables in the audition room though. Also, I'd recommend not using a table anyway because the panel will want to see your whole body. In general, unless your monologue has you sitting down, stay away from props.
Hey XElizzaX Sorry to jump in on this thread My name is James and i am currently in my second year at university (BA Acting).

Thanks for your posts and also everyone else :smile:)))

I am just curious in what your thoughts are on studying furthermore after a BA, especially when we run out of funding on our 5th year?

See i am auditioning for year 2016 (so like now) as i don't want to continue training at uni for my last year. I have auditioned before and funny enough last year i was on a waiting list for East 15, and some other auditions were alright too, but of course, not good enough

Like yourself, having come from a uni institution, then heading to a drama school to study for another 2 years or so, it is financially draining right?I would leave uni at 2nd year to go and start a three ba acting course at a school (that is unless i change my mind due to financial reasons and do a 2 year course instead which only some schools do). just would love to hear your thoughts

Thank you again.

James

Original post by XElizzaX
Hi

I will definitely be applying for drama school at the end of the year :biggrin:. I already have a degree so I will be applying for the 1 or 2 year courses.

Ive been reading everyone's experiences of auditioning this year and I'm already excited about auditioning even though it's so far away!
I don't really get why some drama schools ask if you have applied to other schools for 2016 entry in their application.. Anyone knows ?
Reply 295
I don't really get why some drama schools ask if you have applied to other schools for 2016 entry in their application.. Anyone knows ?

I have one theory, and it involves the fact that some drama schools (like Central) give you a list of possible monologues to choose from. I think the other schools want to know if you've applied to one of those to see if you went to the trouble of finding another monologue or just settled for one from the list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BruB
I have one theory, and it involves the fact that some drama schools (like Central) give you a list of possible monologues to choose from. I think the other schools want to know if you've applied to one of those to see if you went to the trouble of finding another monologue or just settled for one from the list.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's odd..so far only Guildhall's application asks that. So do I list all the 7 schools I'm applying to ?
Reply 297
That's odd..so far only Guildhall's application asks that. So do I list all the 7 schools I'm applying to ?

Can't hurt, I guess. I think the ones who don't ask it on their application forms may do during your interview anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BruB
Can't hurt, I guess. I think the ones who don't ask it on their application forms may do during your interview anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right, it can happen anyway. And it would be unrealistic to say that you haven't applied to other schools.
I've got so many questions, most that I know will go unanswered here... but it's worth a shot.

Can anyone tell me anything about the audition process for American Theatre Arts at Rose Bruford?

Also, I see a lot of people only applying for 5 or 6, I've been told to go for 10. What do people think of this? I'm currently applying for 7 Drama Schools and 1 University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending