The Student Room Group

Climate change is accelerating?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/its-white-hot-christmas-britain-7069468

I couldn't believe when I read this, December in England has been 5.1C past the long term average and 2C above the record. I knew it was mild but I wasn't thinking figures like that. This is raw.
Yeh where I live I don't remember even 1 cold December day this year.
Was like spring walking round yesterday. Mysterious times.....
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Was like spring walking round yesterday. Mysterious times.....

It's funny that I read from the news about 2 months ago that this November was going to be the warmest in ages. Seems like it wasn't just November!! Let's see what 2016 brings to us.

I couldn't believe when I read this, December in England has been 5.1C past the long term average and 2C above the record. I knew it was mild but I wasn't thinking figures like that. This is raw.

Yeah...no. For a start it takes very little for it to accelerate based on near nil warming:

Beyond that, we have one of the largest El Nino events in recorded history, mind you, that isn't a very long time, that has been building for IIRC over a year now and is still growing. "But Jammy", you ask, "what does this mean?" Well, warmer wetter winters for Southern Europe and colder drier ones in Northern Europe. But then the European weather systems aren't as simple as that and the borders between the two zones can shift about, for instance, if the weather systems that should be giving those warm wet winters to the south stray north they get carried our way, and we've all seen what that means.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
It's funny that I read from the news about 2 months ago that this November was going to be the warmest in ages. Seems like it wasn't just November!! Let's see what 2016 brings to us.

We'll have a colder than average January and February evening out the temperatures ranges that will be interpreted by some as further evidence of global warming.

I thought we were on for the coldest winter ever......but not as cold as 1945,1972 or 1978.

Out of interests what was the temperature like in December for the mini ice age and the medieval warm period?
Original post by MatureStudent36

Out of interests what was the temperature like in December for the mini ice age and the medieval warm period?

I have no idea. When you mean mini ice age are you referring to the year with no summer (1816) initiated by the eruption of Mount Tambora (1815)? The winter then would have been colder I assume.
Original post by Gnomes&Knights
I have no idea. When you mean mini ice age are you referring to the year with no summer (1816) initiated by the eruption of Mount Tambora (1815)? The winter then would have been colder I assume.

This one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

Don't know bro.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Yeah...no. For a start it takes very little for it to accelerate based on near nil warming:

Beyond that, we have one of the largest El Nino events in recorded history, mind you, that isn't a very long time, that has been building for IIRC over a year now and is still growing. "But Jammy", you ask, "what does this mean?" Well, warmer wetter winters for Southern Europe and colder drier ones in Northern Europe. But then the European weather systems aren't as simple as that and the borders between the two zones can shift about, for instance, if the weather systems that should be giving those warm wet winters to the south stray north they get carried our way, and we've all seen what that means.

So could we get much starker divides between weather Southern and Northern Britain in the future? If so, that would be interesting as it would serve to further political and identity based division.
We'll have a colder than average January and February evening out the temperatures ranges that will be interpreted by some as further evidence of global warming.

I thought we were on for the coldest winter ever......but not as cold as 1945,1972 or 1978.

We won't. We've seen the 10 year supposed 'pause' in climate change, that was only a natural cooling cycle,(so warming anyway) and actually temps did get higher. now it's kicking in.

I'm interested by the wishful thinking of your tone, is this yet more of the conservatives attempts to deny the realities of modern life and maintain the status quo?
(edited 8 years ago)

One year makes a huge difference doesn't it. SMH, didn't you do science at school? You've got to get more results so it's more reliable, for example:
Source: Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine

sigh. It's not one year as you know. Do you not believe in climate change, or not believe in man made?
We won't. We've seen the 10 year supposed 'pause' in climate change, that was only a natural cooling cycle,(so warming anyway) and actually temps did get higher. now it's kicking in.

I'm interested by the wishful thinking of your tone, is this yet more of the conservatives attempts to deny the realities of modern life and maintain the status quo?

Was this the natural pausing cycle that got invented after the pause?
So could we get much starker divides between weather Southern and Northern Britain in the future? If so, that would be interesting as it would serve to further political and identity based division.

Ummmm, most weather systems do the whole of Britain, they don't split half and half, the geography of the North means they get it worse, as they have for thousands of years.
Was this the natural pausing cycle that got invented after the pause?

No, you're talking rubbish..there was a supposed pause which was actually a sharp decline in the rate of climate change, where it only got a tiny amount warmer, and this was in line with meteorological knowledge of a naturally cooling period-the warming went on over the top of the cooling, so you got the so-called pause effect, now this natural cooling has stopped so - so has the 'pause'.

You know, why don't you think objectively for once, it's depressing to see someone just coming out with every pro government, pro neoliberal view that everything is going swimmingly. Come back in a couple of years, or even 2020 and tell me if you still think it's all BS.
(edited 8 years ago)
No, you're talking rubbish..there was a supposed pause which was actually a sharp decline in the rate of climate change, where it only got a tiny amount warmer, and this was in line with meteorological knowledge of a naturally cooling period-the warming went on over the top of the cooling, so you got the so-called pause effect, now this natural cooling has stopped so - so has the 'pause'.

You know, why don't you think objectively for once, it's depressing to see someone just coming out with every pro government, pro neoliberal view that everything is going swimmingly. Come back in a couple of years, or even 2020 and tell me if you still think it's all BS.

Except the pause wasn't added into the models until AFTER the pause was happening to try to explain it away. At the very least it was only given credence after the pause was under way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending