The Student Room Group

Should i get braces at 16?

Hi, Im a student in AS. Im 16 years old and thinking about getting braces. My teeth are quite bad with 3 teeth very crooked. Im nervous to get braces as it seems late and it may mean i have to go university with braces :frown: is it worth it and do have any tips? I dont have the money to get invisialign. Please help

Scroll to see replies

Nah get em asap so your teeth will be perfect during uni. Youl be thankful for it once everyone starts complimenting your smile etc.
Reply 2
I got braces at 16. People thought i was too old to get them, but there opinions are none of my business :smile:. I'm looking forward to a life with perfect teeth :biggrin:
I got mine just before I was 16 and it was so worth it once I got them off!! There will other people there with braces, you won't be the only one. Plus everyone has been there and will understand. You will be thankful you did it once you get them off so bite the bullet and go for it!
Reply 4
I got braces at 14 and took em off when i was 16 , however i still dont get why they took them off because im 17 now and putting braces back on in March :/ Id recommend getting them ASAP
I am getting mine in a couple of months. due to complications in the alignment of my jaw XD Although it'll probably be painful because I need weird braces, I just wanna get my teeth all aligned, and some of them not crooked, it'll be worth it I promise you :biggrin: I am in AS year too.
Reply 6
Ok thanks guys i will get them i think. For people that have had them do you have any tips? Im indian and most days we eat indian food. Im worried about what i will eat

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just got braces not too long ago, halfway through Year 11, so they will be taken off in Year 13, which is before university, and before the interviews too hopefully, so I am not in the same position as you.

But, it depends how you feel about your teeth. I thought mine weren't terrible, and my mum didn't want me getting them because my teeth aren't too bad. Even the dentist and the orthodontist said that they weren't 'necessary' but will make an improvement, so I said yes.

Don't worry too much about lifestyle changes, because your diet will change, but for the better, with less fizzy drinks, and bad foods, etc. And brushing isn't a problem (for my teeth anyway).

So, I would go for it. They're free! Plus, you will probably regret not having them in later life.
Original post by Jaitrip
Ok thanks guys i will get them i think. For people that have had them do you have any tips? Im indian and most days we eat indian food. Im worried about what i will eat

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also Indian, and we eat Indian food most days.

For the first week or so, you will struggle to eat most things, except rice and daal. It will be difficult to eat roti and paratha though. But, after the first week, it is back to normal! Completely back to normal!

Just a bit extra brushing is needed, which isn't a problem.
I got mine at 16, now I'm at university and still have them, getting them off in a month though. It's not unusual to see people at uni with braces on and it's very unlikely that people will judge you for having them at a late age!
Original post by Jaitrip
Hi, Im a student in AS. Im 16 years old and thinking about getting braces. My teeth are quite bad with 3 teeth very crooked. Im nervous to get braces as it seems late and it may mean i have to go university with braces :frown: is it worth it and do have any tips? I dont have the money to get invisialign. Please help

Get them asap. They should still be free on the NHS while you're under 18, plus your teeth move easier while you're younger.
Reply 11
Original post by Ishan_2000
I'm also Indian, and we eat Indian food most days.

For the first week or so, you will struggle to eat most things, except rice and daal. It will be difficult to eat roti and paratha though. But, after the first week, it is back to normal! Completely back to normal!

Just a bit extra brushing is needed, which isn't a problem.

Thanks, mine are quite bad and i do definitely need them. My parents are fine with it. I was only worried about the food and being judged

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsamor
I am getting mine in a couple of months. due to complications in the alignment of my jaw XD Although it'll probably be painful because I need weird braces, I just wanna get my teeth all aligned, and some of them not crooked, it'll be worth it I promise you :biggrin: I am in AS year too.

Getting Surgery?
Original post by Jaitrip
Thanks, mine are quite bad and i do definitely need them. My parents are fine with it. I was only worried about the food and being judged

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, depends who you are with, but I haven't got judged at all (yet :colonhash:) even though none of my friends have braces on. You'll be fine.

Just don't go with a vibrant or eye-catching colour. Ask for silver if they don't give it you by default. Seems to be the most popular colour for braces that is not too noticeable.
Reply 14
Does it hurt getting them put on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adeel Ali
Getting Surgery?

Yeah, and then I have to get a few teeth removed that are trapped and then braces woop XD
Original post by Jaitrip
Does it hurt getting them put on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I actually had them put on, I couldn't feel them at all! I was expecting some pain, and there was a little ache, but that's it! No anaesthetic, drug, whatever.
I basically ate and drank whatever I wanted and had no ill effects? It's easier to get stuff stuck in braces so you may find there are things you prefer not to have but just see how it goes. It's easier to have soft food right after getting them tightened as eating can be a bit sore but that's all, soups and things are best but you'll work it out. It's so worth having braces and having lovely teeth afterwards and honestly no one is going to care except you.
Original post by physicsamor
Yeah, and then I have to get a few teeth removed that are trapped and then braces woop XD

I have a misaligned jaw. Getting braces at the end of January, perhaps beginning of march.

What sort of bite do you have?
Definitely get them. You won't be the only one with them at university, I can guarantee you that. And no one will care.

Quick Reply

Latest