The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medic997
CAS is a program in the IBDP where students complete activities based on the three strands (Creativity, Action, Service). So like doing dancing for three months count as creativity, going to the gym for a year counts as action and volunteering at a home for the elderly counts as service. At the end of your CAS activities you have to reflect through the completion of paperwork on how it has made you a better person and citizen in your community. That about sums it up 🙂

Ahh okay thank you. I wouldn't rely on that purely for all your extra curriculum though as it just seems like a weaker DofE?
Reply 101
Ladies and gents in this thread, please do not worry too much about GCSE results... Its all about your A levels/IB and UKCAT scores... And if I am honest, its perhaps the most important thing to make sure you get it right first time. You could have the best grades, but with a low UKCAT you will not be invited to interview.

Especially those of you looking to apply to Kings.
Original post by alibevan
Ahh okay thank you. I wouldn't rely on that purely for all your extra curriculum though as it just seems like a weaker DofE?

Well CAS does cover most my volunteering and work experience and I'll be continuing it for the rest of my time in IBDP. Although I'm mainly worried about the academic side of my entry requirements. 🙁
Reply 103
If anyone needs help with their medical application for Kings let me know as my dad is one of the admission tutors :smile:
Original post by scirae
You could have the best grades, but with a low UKCAT you will not be invited to interview.

Especially those of you looking to apply to Kings.

Wow! I'll keep that in mind...the thought of UKCAT can be quite daunting 😕
Original post by scirae
If anyone needs help with their medical application for Kings let me know as my dad is one of the admission tutors :smile:

Hi! How heavy are Kings on GCSEs, UKCAT, Personal Statement, work experience, predicted grades etc. ? :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by TianaEsther
Hi! How heavy are Kings on GCSEs, UKCAT, Personal Statement, work experience, predicted grades etc. ? :smile:

Hey,
GCSE's are virtually irrelevant... However this does not mean you can flunk them and still get in. You must at least have the minimum requirements.
UKCAT: The most important of them all, your predicted/achieved grades are great... But you can guarantee that everyone who applies has the minimum requirement. The UKCAT is what sets you apart from everyone else. You must do exceptionally well in the UKCAT... I would advise you not to take your chances in applying to Kings if you have a low score. I would recommend an average of 650-700 minimum. Start studying for the UKCAT from now!
Personal Statement: again irrelevant until the interview stages and offer making stage. It won't be read until after your interview when they are making their decisions. Make sure its good, don't be boring, and do not be cliche.
Work experience: Just a tick in a box, they don't care what you've done or how long for... Its a general requirement for all med schools. Just make sure you do something, and reflect on it in your personal statement. Again, you do not need to do a million placements, because they aren't interested.
Predicted grades: Very important, make sure you do well in your mocks so that your grades reach the minimum requirement.

I hope the above helps... but please make sure you note that your predicted/achieved grades and the UKCAT are the most important. Focus on those and you will be ok. Kings is competitive and they invite for interview very early. Get your application in as soon as UCAS opens for your year :smile:

Good luck.
So glad I found this thread, I've love hearing about other potential medicine applicants:

GCSEs - 9A*s (Biology Chemistry Maths Physics English Lit English Lang RE Geography History) 1A (German)

AS - Biology Chemistry Maths Physics (predicted AAAA at AS)

Work Experience - 3 days in GP Surgery and hopefully a week in a hospital this summer

Voluntary- 2 years of being a young leader at Rainbows, volunteer every summer at a camp for disadvatnaged children run by the SVP, helped the elderly and terminally ill on a Lourdes Pilgrimage, 3 weeks voluntary work in India teaching English and running arts and crafts in the local blind school

Extra Curricular- Played netball to a national/regional level, coach and umpire netball at my local club, member of my college's MedSoc

Potential unis -
Newcastle
Imperial
St. Andrew's
Edinburgh

I know I need more work experience and more voluntary work directly related to medicine so I'm trying desperately to find some. I'm also looking at applying to the UNIQ summer school for Medicine and the Sutton Summer School too, is anyone else doing the same?
Taking a gap year :tongue: Hoping to apply this year :smile:
Who else is taking a gap year, if so what are you doing during your gap year?
Original post by scirae
Hey,
GCSE's are virtually irrelevant... However this does not mean you can flunk them and still get in. You must at least have the minimum requirements.
UKCAT: The most important of them all, your predicted/achieved grades are great... But you can guarantee that everyone who applies has the minimum requirement. The UKCAT is what sets you apart from everyone else. You must do exceptionally well in the UKCAT... I would advise you not to take your chances in applying to Kings if you have a low score. I would recommend an average of 650-700 minimum. Start studying for the UKCAT from now!
Personal Statement: again irrelevant until the interview stages and offer making stage. It won't be read until after your interview when they are making their decisions. Make sure its good, don't be boring, and do not be cliche.
Work experience: Just a tick in a box, they don't care what you've done or how long for... Its a general requirement for all med schools. Just make sure you do something, and reflect on it in your personal statement. Again, you do not need to do a million placements, because they aren't interested.
Predicted grades: Very important, make sure you do well in your mocks so that your grades reach the minimum requirement.

I hope the above helps... but please make sure you note that your predicted/achieved grades and the UKCAT are the most important. Focus on those and you will be ok. Kings is competitive and they invite for interview very early. Get your application in as soon as UCAS opens for your year :smile:

Good luck.

Thank you very much! This was very informative. :smile:
Original post by TianaEsther
Thank you very much! This was very informative. :smile:

Hello!

Yes that is very informative! We would also recommend that you start your UKCAT revision asap. It really does help!

Also, remember each university used the UKCAT differently, so do look up how each of the universities that you have applied to considers the UKCAT results. For instance, above is an excellent description of how Kings use UKCAT. Other institutions use the UKCAT to decide between borderline applicants. Therefore, if the places you've applied to use UKCAT scores differently, it is important to make your application as strong as possible in all fields!

We've got lots of free information about the UKCAT to get you started on your revision here.

Also, definitely take a peak at the UKCAT website too. It's got full practice tests. Furthermore, this page on The Student Room is very useful for general information. At the bottom of The Student Room page are even more practice questions!

Feel free to ask us if you have any questions!

The Medic Portal
Since some students will not be taking AS exams this summer, will it be likely that universities can't use the AS results from students that have taken their AS exams?
If that's the case, wouldn't universities be more reliant on GCSEs and predicted grades?

Finally, do mocks have a significant impact on predicted grades - or do predicted grades come from your actual AS results combined with assessments and mocks completed throughout the year?
Original post by simply_a_ Δ
Since some students will not be taking AS exams this summer, will it be likely that universities can't use the AS results from students that have taken their AS exams?
If that's the case, wouldn't universities be more reliant on GCSEs and predicted grades?

Finally, do mocks have a significant impact on predicted grades - or do predicted grades come from your actual AS results combined with assessments and mocks completed throughout the year?

I think that the universities have said that as levels will be used, but if they are not offered, then no problem, it won't be used against you.
That said, i don't think mock exams will define your predicted results, that will be your as levels/end of years.
Original post by Gogregg
I think that the universities have said that as levels will be used, but if they are not offered, then no problem, it won't be used against you.
That said, i don't think mock exams will define your predicted results, that will be your as levels/end of years.

That's just the reply I wanted - thanks :smile:
Does anyone know how Cambridge will process its applicants as it currently does this mostly on average UMS scores. However, we no longer have modules so this is not applicable to our year. Does anyone have any information?
Reply 115
Original post by The Medic Portal

Would you advise to begin preparing for UKCAT / BMAT now? In such early days?

I'm scared I'd 'peak' too early as I begun months before.

What's your opinion?
Original post by Gogregg
Anyone else in this thread going to be going to the Keele Medical Careers day in March?

I am! Well I hope I am, by school are very strict about missing days, I don't know if they'll support my leave of absence ://

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kozmo

What's your opinion?

I started revising now as well. I think it's best to practice the questions to know what they're like, but stick to one resource. That way you will still have different resources to revise with later and challange yourself with new questions etc.
Original post by Kozmo

What's your opinion?

Yes like Kozmo, when do you think is best to start revising for BMAT and UKCAT? Midway through year 12? I know some people who are revising and they are already in year 11 :/...
Original post by Kozmo

What's your opinion?

It's to early to start now, you'll run out of resources. Just focus on your AS levels. You don't want the stress of UKCAT while doing your exams trust me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending