The Student Room Group

are sociology teachers...

...expected to have a degree level qualification in psychology as well as sociology?

Or is a sociology teacher who also has a psychology qualification and can teach that also more of a bonus to employers rather than a necessity?

I ask because I'm doing a sociology degree and I definitely want to teach sociology part time in further education but I'm trying to find out whether I should also take a psychology qualification in case it will make me more employable as a sociology teacher?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Reply 2
Yeah
I'm wanting to teach sociology after my degree, and according to my own sociology teachers, RE, Law and Psychology would be beneficial but having a strong degree classification with experience is enough I say. Wherever you apply I recommend you enquire what is needed for the job :smile:
Reply 4
You will also need something like a pgce or a masters i think, or maybe even a doctorate if you want to go on to lecturing? good luck
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
...expected to have a degree level qualification in psychology as well as sociology?

Or is a sociology teacher who also has a psychology qualification and can teach that also more of a bonus to employers rather than a necessity?

I ask because I'm doing a sociology degree and I definitely want to teach sociology part time in further education but I'm trying to find out whether I should also take a psychology qualification in case it will make me more employable as a sociology teacher?

Not necessarily. It will make you more employable having both, but it's not a requirement and you will find positions for Sociology alone.
I'm in a similar position for Psychology - My undergrad was a combined degree so I do know both areas and I could teach Sociology if required.
So glad I bumped this. Thank you all :smile:

I only want to work part time. I never ever want to work full time ever (health reasons). On this basis I can see getting by with just sociology. On the other hand I'd be gutted if I found a job vacancy with perfect hours for me where a lack of psychology qualification put me out of the running for the job.

I'm currently doing a PgDip in Sociology (was originally a PgCert but I've decided to just go for it on the PgDip front). The dilemma is whether to take up my offer to do PgCert Psychology in September. It's a bit of a head mash because money is tight but I also want to make sure I maximise my options as someone who's health means I have to be extra picky about jobs in terms of hours and location. What are your thoughts?

I only want to teach in further education so my plan was to do a PGCE for that but the hours are too much for me so I'm going through the route that was formally known as PTLLS/CTLLS/DTLLS because it better accommodates my need to pace myself.

Financially doing a psychology qualification will bring me a challenge which is what my reluctance is based on. Equally I would enjoy it and I can totally see the use for it. Financially it means I'll have less general spends for living and further makeup training (something that is also important to me). Damned if I do damned if I don't.

What would you do?
I think my Sociology teacher did a joint degree... then again I think my Psychology teacher did too... they're always 'arguing' over which is the best subject :tongue:
Tbh if you have either a sociology degree or psychology degree you will be fine.... it's not highly unusual for teaches with a single degree to teach both subjects.
Reply 9
Not all jobs specify the degree you need. but some do. good luck big mac?

Spoiler

Original post by emiloujess
I think my Sociology teacher did a joint degree... then again I think my Psychology teacher did too... they're always 'arguing' over which is the best subject :tongue:

Lol at the arguing. On the AQA A level syllabi the Sociology material resonates much more with me than the psychology. Having said that psychology at degree level is really interesting. My last masters (not sociology or psychology) dissertation had a strong focus on psychology so it makes me want to get a psychology PgCert just to prove that I can get my head round the subject. If money wasn't an issue I'd be like bring it on but it's the money side of things that's mashing my head with it a bit.
Lol at the arguing. On the AQA A level syllabi the Sociology material resonates much more with me than the psychology. Having said that psychology at degree level is really interesting. My last masters (not sociology or psychology) dissertation had a strong focus on psychology so it makes me want to get a psychology PgCert just to prove that I can get my head round the subject. If money wasn't an issue I'd be like bring it on but it's the money side of things that's mashing my head with it a bit.

They're good friends but their little debates are hilarious. We had my Psych teacher for Sociology a couple weeks back and she kept slipping in how great Psychology was. :tongue: Yeah we're on AQA Soc and OCR Psych, though I have done AQA Psych AS (and got an E :frown: ) I love Sociology, Psychology is crazy hard this year :frown:

I was going to do Psychology at uni - I've wanted to since year 11 - but changed my mind last summer.

Do what you feel is right - if you have a passion for Psych I'd say go for it :tongue:
Lol that's well funny re your teachers :smile:

My MSc is in a food based subject so my interest in psychology is particularly surrounding eating habits and disorders. That said I love learning new things.

What do you want to do at uni?

Original post by emiloujess
They're good friends but their little debates are hilarious. We had my Psych teacher for Sociology a couple weeks back and she kept slipping in how great Psychology was. :tongue: Yeah we're on AQA Soc and OCR Psych, though I have done AQA Psych AS (and got an E :frown: ) I love Sociology, Psychology is crazy hard this year :frown:

I was going to do Psychology at uni - I've wanted to since year 11 - but changed my mind last summer.

Do what you feel is right - if you have a passion for Psych I'd say go for it :tongue:
Lol that's well funny re your teachers :smile:

My MSc is in a food based subject so my interest in psychology is particularly surrounding eating habits and disorders. That said I love learning new things.

What do you want to do at uni?

Oh that's an interesting area of Psych! Mine was always forensic psychology - I had dreams of becoming a profiler :colondollar:

My firm is for Social Analytics & Politics and my insurance is International Politics & Intelligence Studies. :smile:

In general a psychology degree is better.... sure sociology has it's uses but everyone see's it more as a doss subject.... although psychology is slowly becoming more and more another doss equivalent.
Original post by DanB1991
In general a psychology degree is better.... sure sociology has it's uses but everyone see's it more as a doss subject.... although psychology is slowly becoming more and more another doss equivalent.

is doss the academic term then?

Spoiler

Lol! It doesn't matter to me if people regard it as a doss. The fact is that it's an interesting subject that is popular at A level, both sociology and psychology and jobs exist for people to teach it. I'm really interested in sociology. Was gonna sit the AQA A level in the summer because of curiosity and challenge but need to spend money on other things. Whether or not something is regarded by some as a doss or not isn't a reason to be swayed on a decision lol!
sociology isn't a 'doss' subject btw. That clearly was said by someone with no insights in to it
Original post by john2054
sociology isn't a 'doss' subject btw. That clearly was said by someone with no insights in to it

Yeah I haven't just finished my sociology undergrad or anything......

And that's more how it's viewed by other students, lecturers and some employers. I don't personally find it a "doss" subject, although the work load does seem lower than many other subjects.

Not easier per sea, like the knowledge needed is fairly large, just it's very easy to put virtually any subject that philosophy, psychology, english, criminology, anthropology etc into it. I did my dissertation on Fustel de Coulanges 'The ancient city' which is an horrifically outdated history text which some major sociological significance, mostly based on my love of history.

I did sociology due to my love of the subject and I was under no illusion that it wasn't the best degree in terms of employability outside of teaching, police or social work. And you'd be surprised how many people do the degree thinking it will enable them to do social work when in reality a college course or A levels would most likely suffice.

When it comes to general grad jobs (aka management grad programs), sociology is above most art subjects, by probably lower than most other humanities. I find it quite annoying seeing how much data collecting you have to do and you are trained to do on the course, but many data jobs won't accept sociology.... but will accept psychology.... when in that regard the two are almost identical :colonhash:
I find your reply interesting and agreeable. The extent to which sociology embraces other disciplines is such that I would feel genuinely comfortable in teaching A level RS/History/Psychology even though I only hold an AS level in RS out of all of those. I'm not sure that a potential employer would see it that way though? :colondollar:

I'm doing my sociology course to PgDip now hopefully. I chose it because I would be really happy to teach A level Sociology in FE. It's all still so up in the air as to whether to do Psychology PgCert. On the one hand I only want to be employed to teach part time and don't have a lot of money to spend on this but on the other I'd be gutted if not doing it meant that some doors were closed to me but only just.

sociology is awesome :smile:

Original post by DanB1991
Yeah I haven't just finished my sociology undergrad or anything......

And that's more how it's viewed by other students, lecturers and some employers. I don't personally find it a "doss" subject, although the work load does seem lower than many other subjects.

Not easier per sea, like the knowledge needed is fairly large, just it's very easy to put virtually any subject that philosophy, psychology, english, criminology, anthropology etc into it. I did my dissertation on Fustel de Coulanges 'The ancient city' which is an horrifically outdated history text which some major sociological significance, mostly based on my love of history.

I did sociology due to my love of the subject and I was under no illusion that it wasn't the best degree in terms of employability outside of teaching, police or social work. And you'd be surprised how many people do the degree thinking it will enable them to do social work when in reality a college course or A levels would most likely suffice.

When it comes to general grad jobs (aka management grad programs), sociology is above most art subjects, by probably lower than most other humanities. I find it quite annoying seeing how much data collecting you have to do and you are trained to do on the course, but many data jobs won't accept sociology.... but will accept psychology.... when in that regard the two are almost identical :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending