The Student Room Group

Capital punishment

Do you support it?

Capital punishment should only be used for those that commit crime for racial reasons should be killed as they will not learn their lesson. A prison sentence should teach criminals a lesson and regret what they did, allow families of victims to ask why they did it. I genuinely believe that the prisons are far too lenient here, we should bring back the dark, cold, smelly prisons in which would actually make someone regret what they did. Capital punishment is what prisoners that have been imprisoned for life want, why not give them exactly what they don't want?

Mental hospitals need to be brought back. What if I told you that pyscopaths don't actually want to kill but they kill to show that they want help? Therapy is not proper treatment.
So wrong in so many levels.
Reply 2
I don't support capital punishment for one reason.

Sometimes you get the wrong person. If you agree with capital punishment, then you're essentially saying that you're ok with occasionally committing an act of murder.
I support Capital Punishment.

Under a proper system where the Court and the Justice system seeks to establish facts, determine guilt and assign responsibility, I would have no hesitation in supporting a decision that would result in a murderer being executed.

However, I am also a strong proponent of rehabilitative justice and believe that people are able to genuinely reform themselves. Thus, if an execution sentence was handed down by the Courts, then this will have to be ratified by the family of the victim, thus providing adequate checks and balance against any (potential) abuse of power.
Capital punishment is never an appropriate response to a crime. Personally, I believe that we should focus on rehabilitation and reintegration. Failing that, incarcerate them for life. But they should never be killed for what they've done.
Capital and corporal punishment says more about the punishers than the victim. Death is an easy way out. Life in prison is true punishment. Sadly our prison system isn't about teaching a lesson. It is just a waiting room for the convicted.
No.

There are only two circumstances where it is permissible to kill. One is to euthanize, the other is in warfare.
Original post by AlwaysWatching
No.

There are only two circumstances where it is permissible to kill. One is to euthanize, the other is in warfare.

Out of interest, what's your take on prisoners serving life sentences opting for euthanasia rather than prison?
Original post by MatureStudent36
Out of interest, what's your take on prisoners serving life sentences opting for euthanasia rather than prison?

Unless they have an illness or disability that is causing intense and inhumane pain - no. Prisoners do not get to decide their own punishment. That is why we deny them their freedom.
Unless they have an illness or disability that is causing intense and inhumane pain - no. Prisoners do not get to decide their own punishment. That is why we deny them their freedom.

Think of the cost saving.
Nope.

I've been against capital punishment for years and nothing yet has convinced me for its existence.

It's too expensive (faaar too expensive), it's permanent, it's a poor deterrent and needlessly inhumane.
Think of the cost saving.

Hahaa, trust me, there are many criminals that I would love to put on the end of a rope. But no, its simply a matter that we cannot make it a law that it is illegal to deliberately kill (outside of warfare), but make it permissible when it is on our terms and in our favour. Plus the innocent life/ 1% chance hypothesis.
Hahaa, trust me, there are many criminals that I would love to put on the end of a rope. But no, its simply a matter that we cannot make it a law that it is illegal to deliberately kill (outside of warfare), but make it permissible when it is on our terms and in our favour. Plus the innocent life/ 1% chance hypothesis.

It's there choice though.

I do actually happen to competley agree with you.
It's there choice though.

I do actually happen to competley agree with you.

Indeed it is their choice, but unfortunately they have committed a crime, so as a punishment they don't get their wishes granted and don't have the freedom to make choices.

And good!

Quick Reply