The Student Room Group

What six forms are good in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
Do you think HBS has high grades because of the teaching or because of the students or what?In HBS is it more independent learning or are the teachers mostly involved?

Its an all girls school so its probably more the students than the teachers.
Original post by kamranali
What uni course do you want to do? I'm looking at doimg MML at Cam and I didnt realize your subject choices could be so diverse? I get Geography is a facilitating sibject but it seems quite science like. If you ask me Classical Civalisation and Politics are okay subjects but Geography? I dunno.

HSPS at Cambridge would be the dreeaam, but I'm looking at other Politics/IR courses too. I'm also probably going to apply to SciencesPo and Harvard.
For MML, you are more constrained than other arts subjects because you need languages (ideally two). But other than that, I'm pretty sure you can take whatever you want! What subjects are you taking?
The Geography A-Level is pretty much 50% physical and 50% human, so it's pretty balanced (and there is overlap between the two). My interest is in human geography. I want to go into human rights or international affairs/development, so it's a pretty good A-Level for me to have. Yes, there is some science, but it's definitely an essay subject and not a science. I just really like it because it links lots of different areas of study together, and the modules all seem so interesting and relevant to what I want to do.

What sixth forms do you think have better grades in science compared to HBS? What sixth forms would you recommend for me if I want to do all the three sciences and maths?

I'm not sure for grades (I'm not interested in sciences so I haven't looked at those) but I hear that King's Maths School is pretty good (not sure if you can do BCM + Physics, but worth a look), and UCL Academy is focused on the sciences. Not as well reputed as some other schools, maybe, but if you're a good student you would be in the top bracket of students.

Do you think HBS has high grades because of the teaching or because of the students or what?In HBS is it more independent learning or are the teachers mostly involved?

I think it's because of the type of student it attracts. A lot of people here are either closely followed by their parents in their studies, or are incredibly self-motivated and study well independently. Plus, when surrounded by lots of people studying, it gives you impression that you aren't doing anything and will fail everything unless you study more than them - it's a very competitive and toxic environment.
HBS gives the impression of independent learning (there aren't detentions or anything to motivate you to do your own work really) but the teachers definitely do follow you... at first. You have to take the initiative yourself - the teachers don't really care for the most part and will just let you fall behind whilst making snide comments. I have heard that it definitely does spoon-feed more than sixth form colleges, though.
If you're not an A* student though, watch out - HBS will let you fall further and further behind without any kind of help. They only care about the top students. Whilst you may be the top student in your school, note that HBS is full of girls who were the top student at their previous school. So be prepared to not be the best. A lot of people I know struggled with that when they got here.
Original post by charleave
x

King's Maths only offers Maths, Further Maths, Physics and a choice of Economics or Computing so isn't suited for those wanting to apply for medicine or do the other sciences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
HSPS at Cambridge would be the dreeaam, but I'm looking at other Politics/IR courses too. I'm also probably going to apply to SciencesPo and Harvard.
For MML, you are more constrained than other arts subjects because you need languages (ideally two). But other than that, I'm pretty sure you can take whatever you want! What subjects are you taking?
The Geography A-Level is pretty much 50% physical and 50% human, so it's pretty balanced (and there is overlap between the two). My interest is in human geography. I want to go into human rights or international affairs/development, so it's a pretty good A-Level for me to have. Yes, there is some science, but it's definitely an essay subject and not a science. I just really like it because it links lots of different areas of study together, and the modules all seem so interesting and relevant to what I want to do.

I'm not sure for grades (I'm not interested in sciences so I haven't looked at those) but I hear that King's Maths School is pretty good (not sure if you can do BCM + Physics, but worth a look), and UCL Academy is focused on the sciences. Not as well reputed as some other schools, maybe, but if you're a good student you would be in the top bracket of students.

I think it's because of the type of student it attracts. A lot of people here are either closely followed by their parents in their studies, or are incredibly self-motivated and study well independently. Plus, when surrounded by lots of people studying, it gives you impression that you aren't doing anything and will fail everything unless you study more than them - it's a very competitive and toxic environment.
HBS gives the impression of independent learning (there aren't detentions or anything to motivate you to do your own work really) but the teachers definitely do follow you... at first. You have to take the initiative yourself - the teachers don't really care for the most part and will just let you fall behind whilst making snide comments. I have heard that it definitely does spoon-feed more than sixth form colleges, though.
If you're not an A* student though, watch out - HBS will let you fall further and further behind without any kind of help. They only care about the top students. Whilst you may be the top student in your school, note that HBS is full of girls who were the top student at their previous school. So be prepared to not be the best. A lot of people I know struggled with that when they got here.

I'm going to take French History English and R.E
I'm going to take French History English and R.E

Nice! I was going to choose History but since all my other subjects are essay based I went with Geography to slightly lighten the focus on essays...
If you get into Cam, what language will you pick up?
Nice! I was going to choose History but since all my other subjects are essay based I went with Geography to slightly lighten the focus on essays...
If you get into Cam, what language will you pick up?

Russian, it seems like quite the challenge.😀. Do you have any kind of a career plan?
Russian, it seems like quite the challenge.😀. Do you have any kind of a career plan?

Gosh good luck! Languages are cool but learning them scares me so props to you!
Yeah - I want to work freelance for a few years alternating between humanitarian aid and stage management so that I can travel a lot whilst getting paid and doing things I love, then I'll probably try and work for various INGOs and hopefully make my way to become an emergencies researcher with Human Rights Watch and then maybe work for the OHCHR or UNHCR... Otherwise working for the US or UK State Departments might be quite fun!
You? You'll have two major languages so could probably go on to do anything you want...
Gosh good luck! Languages are cool but learning them scares me so props to you!
Yeah - I want to work freelance for a few years alternating between humanitarian aid and stage management so that I can travel a lot whilst getting paid and doing things I love, then I'll probably try and work for various INGOs and hopefully make my way to become an emergencies researcher with Human Rights Watch and then maybe work for the OHCHR or UNHCR... Otherwise working for the US or UK State Departments might be quite fun!
You? You'll have two major languages so could probably go on to do anything you want...

That sounds really exciting! I dont really want to go straight into work, I think I'm going to study a few more languages so Italian, Portugese and Spanish and then maybe Chinese before I start work. I'll probably be like 30 before I've done all that but I suppose its an investment in my career. I think I might want to be an International Teacher, re-train in the UK and teach languages in various different countries before I properly settle down in one location. The corporate world seems so boring I'd hate to be stuck in an office all my life.
That sounds really exciting! I dont really want to go straight into work, I think I'm going to study a few more languages so Italian, Portugese and Spanish and then maybe Chinese before I start work. I'll probably be like 30 before I've done all that but I suppose its an investment in my career. I think I might want to be an International Teacher, re-train in the UK and teach languages in various different countries before I properly settle down in one location. The corporate world seems so boring I'd hate to be stuck in an office all my life.

...so many languages oh my gosh I'm jealous...
...so many languages oh my gosh I'm jealous...

Hahaha! Dont be its a lot of work! I've just never seen the point of 9 - 5 and then a few holidays for 40 odd years until retirement. Don't you just want to experience the world and everything its got to offer instead of just staying in one country/bubble until you die? (Not refering to you by the way! 😂) Live life to the full I say!
Hahaha! Dont be its a lot of work! I've just never seen the point of 9 - 5 and then a few holidays for 40 odd years until retirement. Don't you just want to experience the world and everything its got to offer instead of just staying in one country/bubble until you die? (Not refering to you by the way! 😂) Live life to the full I say!

PREACH
All the jobs I want to do are based in different countries or allow for flexibility and travel, but my main goal is to (sounds cheesy) implement positive change in the world and help people, so I am willing to sacrifice some travel in exchange for helping people. I definitely don't want to settle down and have an office career until I'm well into my thirties (unless I get the emergencies researcher position because that allows for travel and the option to work from home so I could still travel).

But I wish I was good at learning languages... Then I could travel with more ease and not feel so out of place...
PREACH
All the jobs I want to do are based in different countries or allow for flexibility and travel, but my main goal is to (sounds cheesy) implement positive change in the world and help people, so I am willing to sacrifice some travel in exchange for helping people. I definitely don't want to settle down and have an office career until I'm well into my thirties (unless I get the emergencies researcher position because that allows for travel and the option to work from home so I could still travel).

But I wish I was good at learning languages... Then I could travel with more ease and not feel so out of place...

Anyone can learn a language believe me! You just need the motivation, a year or so if your looking to be really fluent and the dedication! You have fun whilst learning because youre using the langiage to read and gossip and sing and just have fun! Do you find languages difficult at the moment in your classes?
Anyone can learn a language believe me! You just need the motivation, a year or so if your looking to be really fluent and the dedication! You have fun whilst learning because youre using the langiage to read and gossip and sing and just have fun! Do you find languages difficult at the moment in your classes?

I learned German and Spanish at school for a few years (and Latin but... No) and I missed a lot of school for health reasons and so fell really far behind so that just really destroyed my motivation... I'm fluent in French because I'm from a French family so I also believe that immersion is the best way to learn. I'll definitely try to pick up Spanish again when I'm at uni though! I can understand it (and Catalan) but really want to speak it!!
Whats wrong with your Harris schhol? Is it the way its run as a part of the Harris Federation schhols or a unique problem? And yeah I jusf have this vision of a pervy priest coming to "vist" swim sessions.

Going to a Harris Fed school means that if you are lucky, many great opportunities are offered to you. However, from what I've experienced, you have to be very lucky.
As I've only been to one Harris Fed school, I can only say its unique problems that make it a poor school. The quality of teaching, the running of the school, and the attitude from teachers towards their students is horrendous. Academically, its and average school bordering on quite good. But a school can not only be judged on academic merit, which means, taking into account everything else, its crap.
I do have friends that have been to other Harris' though and they say that the schools are equally bad. If youre lucky though, you can get some really good teachers. Last year and this year, I was lucky enough to get some good teachers who were lovely and actually cared! But if those teachers aren't provided with the support and resources by Federation or the Academy then having a good teacher is pointless. I would say that going to a Harris Fed school means you have to be the type of student that will consolidate his or her own learning because relying on what your taught in school will only get you Cs and maybe Bs and GCSE and A-Level.
Original post by aregisford
Going to a Harris Fed school means that if you are lucky, many great opportunities are offered to you. However, from what I've experienced, you have to be very lucky.
As I've only been to one Harris Fed school, I can only say its unique problems that make it a poor school. The quality of teaching, the running of the school, and the attitude from teachers towards their students is horrendous. Academically, its and average school bordering on quite good. But a school can not only be judged on academic merit, which means, taking into account everything else, its crap.
I do have friends that have been to other Harris' though and they say that the schools are equally bad. If youre lucky though, you can get some really good teachers. Last year and this year, I was lucky enough to get some good teachers who were lovely and actually cared! But if those teachers aren't provided with the support and resources by Federation or the Academy then having a good teacher is pointless. I would say that going to a Harris Fed school means you have to be the type of student that will consolidate his or her own learning because relying on what your taught in school will only get you Cs and maybe Bs and GCSE and A-Level.

Well then, bases on that information I hope you can manage to get out! I think I' ll be much more considerate with my choicee now so thank you for that. Are you applying to any other sixth forms?
Original post by Maria1812
Are there any grammar six forms in London. As grammar schools have quite a good reputation. Is it hard to get a scholarship to a private six form? I heard you can get a music or art or drama scholarship but can you get one from academic subjects or something like that?

At St Marylebone you can scholarships for Performing arts plus maths and ICT
Hi, so recently I have been looking at different six forms in London and I'm wondering what six forms are good and to which one I should i go to? The A levels I want to do are; physics,maths,biology and chemistry. My dream six form to go to is Ashbourne independent six form college. But it has fees and is really expensive so i cannot go there. So what six forms do you guys recommend in London? I do not mind where in London as I'm willing to even travel more than an hour to get there as long as it is really good. If you are recommending a six form you are going to or went to please tell me what a levels you are doing and what grades you got. :smile:

Hey there,

You should apply to Ashbourne as it is a tremendous independent college and if you can't afford the fees ask for fee reduction. I have been offered a conditional offer there to study Maths, English literature, Politics and Economics in September.
Original post by MalayHKG
Hey there,

You should apply to Ashbourne as it is a tremendous independent college and if you can't afford the fees ask for fee reduction. I have been offered a conditional offer there to study Maths, English literature, Politics and Economics in September.

Hello, I would really love to go to Ashbourne college but the fees are really high. I would do not mind asking how did you get your fees reduced and by how much (sorry if it sounds a bit nosey, you do not need to answer this question) Do you know anyone personally from that school and what do they think? What are the facilities like.? How does ashbourne compare with different schools with grades and leavers destinations, do many people get into elite universities? Is the learning very independent or does the teacher ' spoon feed you'? If you could answer any fo my questions I would find it very helpful. Also who do you want to be when your older (occupation).?
Hello, I would really love to go to Ashbourne college but the fees are really high. I would do not mind asking how did you get your fees reduced and by how much (sorry if it sounds a bit nosey, you do not need to answer this question) Do you know anyone personally from that school and what do they think? What are the facilities like.? How does ashbourne compare with different schools with grades and leavers destinations, do many people get into elite universities? Is the learning very independent or does the teacher ' spoon feed you'? If you could answer any fo my questions I would find it very helpful. Also who do you want to be when your older (occupation).?

I've met one past student who now studies at King's and he joined Ashbourne in Year 13 with 4 C grades which he got at a previous sixth form. He left with 3 A grades i believe and so i think thats a testament to both him and the colleges success. He seemed very happy about Ashbourne and the fact that he volunteered to come back to Ashbourne to help with the open evening left me with the impression that the college is something which he values very much.

I am unwilling to answer your question on the fees as they have strict terms you have to sign and abide by and i don't want to jeopodise my offer so i apologise for that, but i will note that you shouldn't expect to get a massive reduction as after all they are an independent school and so the fees students pay are their main source of income.

For more information about leavers destinations and things like that i think you should visit the website as I am not sure about where their students went except that 1/2 students went to Cambridge to study Maths but don't quote me on that.

In Regards to if they spoon feed you, I have yet to start my studies there so i cannot answer whether or not the students are spoon fed however, the class sizes are normally between 6 to 10 and so I think that students get considerably more attention than perhaps at state schools like the one i currently study at where i am in lessons with around 15 to 20 people.

The college is located near Kensington High Street and they have two buildings almost a minute from each other and i have to say that the classrooms are tidy and the buildings are very modern and well maintained. The college being so small means that the college doesn't have things such as a sports hall, but i believe that students go elsewhere for physical education.

I have visited other private schools and i must say that in contrast to some other schools, the teachers at Ashbourne seemed to be more passionate than at the other schools i visited and unlike 1 other school, the teachers aren't snobby.

If you're adamant on studying at Ashbourne and your family are financially stable to pay, then i see no reason not to study there.

I would also suggest that if you're looking to study at a private college, in London then Ashbourne or Brampton College in Hendon would hands down be your best options. I've visited Brampton and Chelsea independent college and i preferred Ashbourne.

I aspire to be an investment banker
Hi, so recently I have been looking at different six forms in London and I'm wondering what six forms are good and to which one I should i go to? The A levels I want to do are; physics,maths,biology and chemistry. My dream six form to go to is Ashbourne independent six form college. But it has fees and is really expensive so i cannot go there. So what six forms do you guys recommend in London? I do not mind where in London as I'm willing to even travel more than an hour to get there as long as it is really good. If you are recommending a six form you are going to or went to please tell me what a levels you are doing and what grades you got. :smile:

Notting Hill and Ealing High School is pretty good. I was offered a scholarship there, but turned it down. Not a huge amount go to Oxbridge, but then again, year size is v. small so maybe a slightly lower proportion compared to my old sixth form which does quite well.

Most will go to a Russell Group or top 10 uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending