The Student Room Group

The FIFA Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
Lol who has won the most out of each other in FIFA in general, and you only have a better GD because we have played two games, one which I won and one which I lost.

You should've realised I was joking when I called you Blackman.

Anyway you're right that at times these lot are ****e. Personally think the fault lies with the man who's ANY (admittedly it's a difficult job) but when you dominate matches and concede from set-pieces you're gonna go down. Also yeah our striker isn't good enough. Luke in all honesty is a good pro clubs player, pretty unselfish and has good movement but he's not a natural number 9, he should either play AM or on the wing (or as a target man SS).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thoughts on Difeo just getting us relegated by going full retard in the last minute :colonhash:
Original post by Lúcio
Thoughts on Difeo just getting us relegated by going full retard in the last minute :colonhash:

brb held button all the way down
brb decides to dink it straight to the striker
Original post by FFTypoCorrector
You should've realised I was joking when I called you Blackman.

Anyway you're right that at times these lot are ****e. Personally think the fault lies with the man who's ANY (admittedly it's a difficult job) but when you dominate matches and concede from set-pieces you're gonna go down. Also yeah our striker isn't good enough. Luke in all honesty is a good pro clubs player, pretty unselfish and has good movement but he's not a natural number 9, he should either play AM or on the wing (or as a target man SS).

Posted from TSR Mobile

"fault lies with the man who's ANY"
"dominate matches"

wot
Original post by difeo
"fault lies with the man who's ANY"
"dominate matches"

wot

I meant in terms of defending and conceding from set pieces pal

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant in terms of defending and conceding from set pieces pal

Posted from TSR Mobile

not much you can do about set piece goals most of the time
and nah we tend to concede 1 or 2 goals a game which is acceptable. The problem lies with not scoring enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree with everything here.

The amount of goals we concede as a direct result of the person playing ANY is too damn high (insert meme here).
Seriously, it's like every game or so we concede a goal because we're passing it around at the back too much.

Yeah, it's been weird for me because I'm not a predator like you expect strikers to be. I'm much more creatively inclined and I'm always looking for the pass rather than the goal. That's why I don't really go on long solo runs; the majority of my offloads are first time touches.

I feel like I can't play CAM as well as others because I'm not good at taking it past players. I have great movement and decent vision but sometimes you're isolated and need to go 1 on 1 and I struggle with that.

My finishing isn't bad if I get a clear chance but in the higher leagues, you're only rarely gonna get a "proper" chance. Most of the goals you see are half chances converted excellently so we need to work on that.

We have some great players and some poorer ones, but I feel like a great deal of our issues simply come down to player error and selfishness.
If you're gonna be selfish, do it in drop in. You'll always get more chances of you play with us, so no need to hog the ball and go for those achievements.
Original post by difeo
brb held button all the way down
brb decides to dink it straight to the striker

Yeah course mate.

Fact is you concede in the 90th minute of the final game and now we're in poverty division 5
Original post by Lúcio
Yeah course mate.

Fact is you concede in the 90th minute of the final game and now we're in poverty division 5

maybe if you stopped missing 1 on 1s we wouldn't be in the situation where this could potentially happen!!!!
Original post by difeo
maybe if you stopped missing 1 on 1s we wouldn't be in the situation where this could potentially happen!!!!

Nice deflection m8, wanna blame any more on the lag too?

Scored 3 in the last 3 - don't put our problems solely down to the strikers.
Yeah we don't score enough but I'm not usually the only striker. Zeddy doesn't score nearly enough (no offence man).

We concede WAY too many goals.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Nice deflection m8, wanna blame any more on the lag too?

Scored 3 in the last 3 - don't put our problems solely down to the strikers.
Yeah we don't score enough but I'm not usually the only striker. Zeddy doesn't score nearly enough (no offence man).

A goal a game is absolute minimum expected as the focal point of a team in clubs - look at the leaderboards, the best players have a 3 per game ratio.

Fact is we drew that game 1-1. 1 goal conceded = below average number of goals conceded = not the problem. 1 goal scored = below average number of goals scored = the problem
Original post by difeo
A goal a game is absolute minimum expected as the focal point of a team in clubs - look at the leaderboards, the best players have a 3 per game ratio.

Fact is we drew that game 1-1. 1 goal conceded = below average number of goals conceded = not the problem. 1 goal scored = below average number of goals scored = the problem

Not when the player in question is as creatively inclined as I am.

In any case, strikers only scoring 1 per game isn't down to him alone. It's down to the creative players around him and unfortunately we just do not cut it in that department. Not since dirtybit left.

We have too many players who don't understand what a CAM role is. Too much selfishness and way too many "safe passes".
One thing I've noticed is how easily other teams get through our defence. The reason why is because they play long passes. Long, lofted through balls with their stackers making wide runs. We NEVER do any of that and as a result, we have to pass out way through a packed defence on the ground.

We always complain at how easily other teams get in on us. That's why they do and that's why we don't.
Pretty sure we do provide the chances, they just aren't scored and in the higher leagues you can't expect 3-4 chances to score, you have to take them.
Original post by Rk2k14
Pretty sure we do provide the chances, they just aren't scored and in the higher leagues you can't expect 3-4 chances to score, you have to take them.

I provide plenty of chances so don't you dare sit there and try to make out I'm just some idiot who stands up front and need 4 chances to score.

The amount I create and the level to which I track back is ridiculous for a striker. I often have 2 or 3 key passes per match and a completely empty stamina bar.

I'm an excellent team player and let's be honest, we all suffer from being unable to finish, especially you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
I provide plenty of chances so don't you dare sit there and try to make out I'm just some idiot who stands up front and need 4 chances to score.

I'm an excellent team player and let's be honest, we all suffer from being unable to finish, especially you.

Did you see me single you out?

You just said we lack the creative ability and that we don't understand what CAM is.

Yes we do provide the opportunities but we fail to take them collectively.

You need to fix up on that attitude. You constantly have a me vs them stance and prefer to focus on how 'good' you are when we should be playing as a team. When someone highlights a weakness in the team, you instantly go full defensive as if we're all picking on you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
Not when the player in question is as creatively inclined as I am.

In any case, strikers only scoring 1 per game isn't down to him alone. It's down to the creative players around him and unfortunately we just do not cut it in that department. Not since dirtybit left.

We have too many players who don't understand what a CAM role is. Too much selfishness and way too many "safe passes".
One thing I've noticed is how easily other teams get through our defence. The reason why is because they play long passes. Long, lofted through balls with their stackers making wide runs. We NEVER do any of that and as a result, we have to pass out way through a packed defence on the ground.

We always complain at how easily other teams get in on us. That's why they do and that's why we don't.

Don't really see where you're coming from with that. The first thought of whoever's CAM is always to look for a potential through ball to the striker.
The problem from there is our striker a) isn't particularly fast (and when you're 6'1 is actually slow) and b) by his own admission, can't take players on. So the build up play + through ball has to be so good that all you have left to do is the finish, which is clearly unrealistic to expect often.
Original post by Rk2k14
Did you see me single you out?

You just said we lack the creative ability and that we don't understand what CAM is.

Yes we do provide the opportunities but we fail to take them collectively.

You need to fix up on that attitude. You constantly have a me vs them stance and prefer to focus on how 'good' you are when we should be playing as a team. When someone highlights a weakness in the team, you instantly go full defensive as if we're all picking on you.

No but it's obvious that when people mention strikers, they mean me.

What i'm saying is that only a few people in the team truly play their role.
Difeo and Dirtybit play CAM very well, but me and you for instance don't play our roles well.
I'm meant to be a striker but you'll often find me dropping too deep and playing as an extra CAM, while you're often the furthest forward when you're meant to be playing in midfield. We all have our flaws and i'm not trying to offend anybody - we're just discussing ways of improving our team is all :smile:

There's a level of inconsistency with our creation, though i guess that's what you can expect when you're playing completely different people every match.

Why do you think i have that perceived stance? Because you guys have an "Us vs Lúcio" mentality. When you're singling people out and taking shots (even if it's just a laugh on mic), it distances me from the rest of you and then you complain about it. It's clear in my play that everything i do is for the best interests of the team. Why else would I pass the ball so much and track back like I do?

Original post by difeo
Don't really see where you're coming from with that. The first thought of whoever's CAM is always to look for a potential through ball to the striker.
The problem from there is our striker a) isn't particularly fast (and when you're 6'1 is actually slow) and b) by his own admission, can't take players on. So the build up play + through ball has to be so good that all you have left to do is the finish, which is clearly unrealistic to expect often.

I'm not useless on the ball. It's clear that i can see a pass and link up very well - my inability to go 1 on 1 is just a weakness to my play; we all have them so don't act like i'm the only one.

What I mean is exactly what I outlined below. Our passes are extremely safe, rarely do we play long balls, especially not in the air. Now obviously we've already discussed how we need a bigger aerial presence but even so, we're so often cut open by players making wide runs.

I think a problem of ours is that we often cluster around the ball instead of making runs in behind.
Our wide players should give us a long through ball option and the striker should be available for a give and go.
I feel like when we're playing we don't really have a gameplan, but it's clear watching other teams that they do.
As soon as their keeper gets the ball, there's a player stood out wide for a quick counter - just simple things like that which we all need to improve on as a team if we have any hope in the higher divisions :smile:
Original post by Lúcio

I'm not useless on the ball. It's clear that i can see a pass and link up very well - my inability to go 1 on 1 is just a weakness to my play; we all have them so don't act like i'm the only one.

What I mean is exactly what I outlined below. Our passes are extremely safe, rarely do we play long balls, especially not in the air. Now obviously we've already discussed how we need a bigger aerial presence but even so, we're so often cut open by players making wide runs.

I think a problem of ours is that we often cluster around the ball instead of making runs in behind.
Our wide players should give us a long through ball option and the striker should be available for a give and go.
I feel like when we're playing we don't really have a gameplan, but it's clear watching other teams that they do.
As soon as their keeper gets the ball, there's a player stood out wide for a quick counter - just simple things like that which we all need to improve on as a team if we have any hope in the higher divisions :smile:

Not saying you're useless on the ball - just that taking players on isn't your strength, and not acting like you're the only one with a weakness.

You have a point with the bold. Our wingers come inside looking for the ball, and our strikers come deep looking for it, which makes everything congested. We just need to stretch the pitch with you being right on the last man and the wingers being near the touchline. That'll make the CAM's job so much easier.
Original post by difeo
Not saying you're useless on the ball - just that taking players on isn't your strength, and not acting like you're the only one with a weakness.

You have a point with the bold. Our wingers come inside looking for the ball, and our strikers come deep looking for it, which makes everything congested. We just need to stretch the pitch with you being right on the last man and the wingers being near the touchline. That'll make the CAM's job so much easier.

That would require tinkering the philosphee then.

Lucio should go back to being manmore so he gives us that option to cross.

Number of times we try to play through the middle, when its not working and it leaves us susceptible to the counter.

Not to mention set pieces.

Quick Reply

Latest