The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I always sense with City that they are not far away from going on an unbeatable run. If Aguero stays fit and Kompany gets back then they will finish the season like they started. They have far too much firepower when all of Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva, Toure and Sterling are playing.

I have a funny feeling about this season that it will end up as an anti-climax. People say at this point, it could go down to the wire, most unpredictable season in years but my sense is that City will pick up in momentum and Arsenal won't be able to afford any stumble, injuries or no.

Especially an anti-climax for Arsenal if they finish 2nd and trophyless, wind up merchants from other clubs will be shouting HAHA trophyless worse than the last two years, Arsenal are the ultimate bottlers. And Piers Morgan will reemerge as self-appointed voice of the Emirates terraces with his anti-Wenger campaign and say why were Arsenal slow off the blocks when Klopp, Guardiola, Ancelotti and Mourinho were all available.

Can't help but agree. City need to go on a downward spiral similar to what they experienced this time last year. I think a lot of people forget that last season wasn't as one sided as everyone says it was, City were literally equal to Chelsea on points, GD and goals scored this time last year. They were separated only by the alphabet. But then a bad run of form opened up a huge gap, so we need a bit of luck if we want a similar gap.

I'm also afraid of the very same anti-climax. We need our injured players to return soon if we want to play at a high level every game and stay in the race until April. If we're still in it then, then it will go down to the wire.

Also, f*ck Piers Morgan. I disagree a lot with some of the stuff Wenger has done over the years but the disrespect shown to him by a lot of Arsenal fans is repugnant. The man has literally dedicated the rest of his life as well as his reputation to ensure Arsenal's success. I just wish he leaves on a high, and people stop giving people like Piers Morgan the attention he craves.
Meanwhile PSG win just 1-0 against Pascal Cygan's former club.
Original post by gooner_hsj
I think we've gotta be aiming for 7 points at the minimum. It honestly all depends on us beating Liverpool or not. If we can, then I see no reason why we cannot beat both Stoke and Chelsea, but I fear that if we lose to Liverpool, we'll lose to Stoke and then lose to Chelsea too.

Arsenal are tough to support. When we lose a big game, we either crumble or bounce back, the thing is, Liverpool will be looking to put on a strong showing. If we lose to them, the worst possible game to follow that up would have been Stoke away. Our record there is poor to say the least. For me, Gabriel needs to start ahead of Mertesacker and Elneny has to be wrapped up.

I would say it is a big risk playing Elneny against Liverpool, considering he hasn't played in England before. I'd actually say it's risky playing him for all of the next three league games. Maybe I'd start him against Sunderland, but my preferred midfield would be Chambers-Flamini for the game at Anfield. Feel that with Alexis back, Walcott playing well, Özil playing how he is and Giroud also playing well, that we can have enough going forward without having to play Ramsey.

7 points would obviously be great but we need to be realistic about our chances. In identical fixtures last season we took 2/9 points. 1/9 the season before and I think 3/9 the season before that if memory serves me well. Expectations aren't too high but if we turn up with the right attitude were capable of beating anyone. I really do question the desire of some of the players though, especially away from home. The 4-0 defeat to Soton was a massive reality check for some people.

Arsenal are very fragile mentally, contrary to what Wenger usually says. If we go a goal down the chances of us coming back to win is extremely low, and we don't usually score first away from home against the big boys.

I have no idea about this Elneny kid. Will we even sign him in time and will he play soon? Doubt it.
(edited 8 years ago)
City have the winners in their team they have players who have led them to league titles twice like Yaya, Aguero & Kompany. Wenger should have bought established players in the summer yes he bough Petr but it's not enough our team does not have many real winners.
Original post by AliRizzo

Also, f*ck Piers Morgan. I disagree a lot with some of the stuff Wenger has done over the years but the disrespect shown to him by a lot of Arsenal fans is repugnant. The man has literally dedicated the rest of his life as well as his reputation to ensure Arsenal's success. I just wish he leaves on a high, and people stop giving people like Piers Morgan the attention he craves.

Exactly. Arsenal did not have the kind of money to flash about to compete with City, United and Chelsea for the period from 2004 to 2013. So people who were saying the club lacked ambition: realistically who else would have come in and delivered the extra trophies that were demanded? Many other managers would not have sustained Arsenal in the top four and built the team that has come now.

I do think Wenger could have balanced the team better: instead of collecting attacking midfielders he could have bolstered the defence and goalkeeper position earlier, but on balance Wenger was the best man.

Arsenal are now very well set for the future going forward. The difficulty ahead though is I can sense a similar tough transition to United post-Ferguson. They will really need to get the successor to Wenger right. IMO the best choice if he is available at the time would be Carlo Ancelotti.

Believe it or not I can remember the days when people used to talk about the "anointed successor" to Wenger being David O'Leary! He ticked the right boxes: Arsenal man through and through (all time leading appearance holder), and he had an emphasis on bringing through young players. He had done well at Leeds at first till the finances imploded. Probably two mediocre seasons at Villa scuppered his managerial career. But in the early Wenger era the general view was that when Wenger stood down DOL would be unable to resist the lure of "coming home".
Original post by atom y humber
Is it that you chat so much **** you can't keep up with yourself? You only mentioned Sanogo to go with the myth weren't been serious. But the real thing is, if you're not been serious, why bring it up again to try and justify yourself?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3714521&page=108&highlight=&p=61581995#post61581995

the word is 'being' ffs
Reply 2346
Original post by difeo
the word is 'being' ffs

If you are not bean serious??!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does it really make sense to buy players from Muslim countries.. what if they are called up for war?

Not to mention AFCON, obviously not thought through properly.

If you want a CDM with a bit of bite, you should try to get Vurnon Anita from Newcastle.
Original post by benboy2016
Does it really make sense to buy players from Muslim countries.. what if they are called up for war?

Not to mention AFCON, obviously not thought through properly.

If you want a CDM with a bit of bite, you should try to get Vurnon Anita from Newcastle.

Education needed FFS.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Exactly. Arsenal did not have the kind of money to flash about to compete with City, United and Chelsea for the period from 2004 to 2013. So people who were saying the club lacked ambition: realistically who else would have come in and delivered the extra trophies that were demanded? Many other managers would not have sustained Arsenal in the top four and built the team that has come now.

I do think Wenger could have balanced the team better: instead of collecting attacking midfielders he could have bolstered the defence and goalkeeper position earlier, but on balance Wenger was the best man.

Arsenal are now very well set for the future going forward. The difficulty ahead though is I can sense a similar tough transition to United post-Ferguson. They will really need to get the successor to Wenger right. IMO the best choice if he is available at the time would be Carlo Ancelotti.

Believe it or not I can remember the days when people used to talk about the "anointed successor" to Wenger being David O'Leary! He ticked the right boxes: Arsenal man through and through (all time leading appearance holder), and he had an emphasis on bringing through young players. He had done well at Leeds at first till the finances imploded. Probably two mediocre seasons at Villa scuppered his managerial career. But in the early Wenger era the general view was that when Wenger stood down DOL would be unable to resist the lure of "coming home".

Spot on mate. Sounds a bit cliched but Wenger's work won't be appreciated until he's long gone. The idea that he's failed or isn't a great manager because he went 9 years trophy less is what annoys me the most. Doubt any other manager could have done the same job he did and kept their sanity. Top four every year was a remarkable achievement, including a CL final and a semi-final. Not to mention almost wining the league in 08, would have been cream of the crop. Like you said though the only worry is how we'll manage initially when he leaves, hopefully we'll learn from United's mistakes.

http://twentyminutereads.com/2015/04/02/le-professeur/
Have a look through this if you haven't already, top read which always gets me a little sentimental.
Education needed FFS.

Egypt are in civil war, and its not going to end soon.

Benboy
Egypt are in civil war, and its not going to end soon.

Benboy

So? Does that mean that Egyptians from all corners of the earth should return to Egypt to fight? FGS can't even believe I'm having this conversation.

Listen mate don't tire your brain out thinking of these scenarios, I think the Arsenal management would have thought of these silly situations before they offer a huge contract to someone.
So? Does that mean that Egyptians from all corners of the earth should return to Egypt to fight? FGS can't even believe I'm having this conversation.

Listen mate don't tire your brain out thinking of these scenarios, I think the Arsenal management would have thought of these silly situations before they offer a huge contract to someone.

Well, if he is Muslim and Egyptian, surely he would want to fight for his country. Masculinity and war are at the forefront of Islam.
Well we're buying an Egyptian whose last club was in Switzerland, and he only joins up with his national team in his country four times a year?
Point is Wenger could have signed a Catholic holding midfielder, a Hindu ball-winner, a Sikh box-to-box or a Jewish orthodox defensive midfielder, but he purchases a Muslim DM which raises questions given the circumstances.
Well, if he is Muslim and Egyptian, surely he would want to fight for his country. Masculinity and war are at the forefront of Islam.

I'm not sure if you're trolling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you're very ignorant. Islam is about peace but that's for another thread. Unbelievable really, Islamic hate is now creeping into football threads haha just when I thought I got away from it all.

Also, you do realise Arsenal have employed a lot of Muslims in the past right? Not to mention our best player is also a Muslim. I don't think these are problems that the Arsenal management consider when deciding who to give a contract to.

some players cba even turning out in friendlies for their country when they are earning £70k a week in the west, never mind going to get shot at by jihadis
Point is Wenger could have signed a Catholic holding midfielder, a Hindu ball-winner, a Sikh box-to-box or a Jewish orthodox defensive midfielder, but he purchases a Muslim DM which raises questions given the circumstances.

amazing
I'm not sure if you're trolling but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you're very ignorant. Islam is about peace but that's for another thread. Unbelievable really, Islamic hate is now creeping into football threads haha just when I thought I got away from it all.

Also, you do realise Arsenal have employed a lot of Muslims in the past right? Not to mention our best player is also a Muslim. I don't think these are problems that the Arsenal management consider when deciding who to give a contract to.

If he was Turkish muslim like Ozil, I wouldn't be concerned. But he's from Egypt, the country is in turmoil, he probably knows jihadis or assad supporters, I don't know if its true but obviously a possibility.
Reply 2359
Original post by al_94
City have the winners in their team they have players who have led them to league titles twice like Yaya, Aguero & Kompany. Wenger should have bought established players in the summer yes he bough Petr but it's not enough our team does not have many real winners.

Alexis? Ozil?
They have both won stuff better than the PL. Smae with Petr.

Latest