The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joddcfc
Fantastic game and performance, whole team played brilliantly and Novak got his first career hat-trick. Danny Wilson having a great start to his time at Chesterfield, although worth noting that Shrewsbury were awful just like in the reverse fixture in August.

For what it's worth, that was never a penalty! Felt bad for the dismissed Shrews player. You fully deserved the romping victory, though.
Original post by Midlander
Just about got a ticket for today's game at Crewe and suffice to say I am happy to have done so. After some unconvincing performances of late this brings us back into contention with style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Mackay
What a performance from Coventry yesterday, by the way. They've had some questionable results in recent weeks, too, but Armstrong really rose to the fore (on the day his loan extension was confirmed, no less!) and they seem to be getting back into their stride.

Brilliant win after some poor results, last weeks last minute equaliser was disappointing to concede.

Armstrong signing til the end of the season is huge, his hatrick (should have been 4!!) shows his quality. The midfield looks solid with Vincelot and Fleck.
Original post by Icecream1
Brilliant win after some poor results, last weeks last minute equaliser was disappointing to concede.

Armstrong signing til the end of the season is huge, his hatrick (should have been 4!!) shows his quality. The midfield looks solid with Vincelot and Fleck.

Vincelot and Fleck are a heck of a duo in the middle of the park. They need to get Armstrong, Maddison and Murphy on the pitch as much as possible until May.
Original post by Mackay
Vincelot and Fleck are a heck of a duo in the middle of the park. They need to get Armstrong, Maddison and Murphy on the pitch as much as possible until May.

Madison has done really well since coming back, scoring the winner a few back. His movement and pace in behind is a threat and he could easily play in a higher division. Murphy, out wide can deliver the cross or come in and score with both feet, going either way past defenders. His decision making has rapidly improved.
Original post by Mackay
For what it's worth, that was never a penalty! Felt bad for the dismissed Shrews player. You fully deserved the romping victory, though.

Which one? I thought both were pretty soft tbh.

Wait, I thought it was us who conceded it, not you :biggrin:
Anyone see Ross Wallace's goal for Sheffield Wednesday, gotta be one of the goals of the season that.
Any other Blackpool fans like me on 'ere suffering from two years and likely more of torture?

Come sympathise, please :cry2:
Madison has done really well since coming back, scoring the winner a few back. His movement and pace in behind is a threat and he could easily play in a higher division. Murphy, out wide can deliver the cross or come in and score with both feet, going either way past defenders. His decision making has rapidly improved.

He's been linked with a £10m move to Arsenal and Liverpool, which is silly money to be honest, but I'd be amazed - if Coventry failed to get out of the third tier this year - he didn't follow Callum Wilson's precedent and move up a league.

Original post by Rock Fan
Anyone see Ross Wallace's goal for Sheffield Wednesday, gotta be one of the goals of the season that.

Unbelievable strike.
Original post by joddcfc
Which one? I thought both were pretty soft tbh.

Wait, I thought it was us who conceded it, not you :biggrin:

Sorry, I was thinking of the home game against Oldham.

We should have beaten you though, you scored from your only shot on target. The goal from Maddison was pretty sweet.
Sorry, I was thinking of the home game against Oldham.

We should have beaten you though, you scored from your only shot on target. The goal from Maddison was pretty sweet.

Fair enough but very much disagree with that, thought a draw was a fair result but a home win wouldn't be too undeserved. Could be because I'm used to defeat after defeat for the last two months but yeah can't deny that Maddison's goal was special
Great strike by Wallace, admittedly, but plenty of other great goals from around the grounds this weekend. Pick of the matches - aside from Chesterfield and Coventry's drubbings - seemed to be at Bramall Lane, where Peterborough (still the highest scorers in the third tier) put three past Sheffield United in a five-goal thriller.

The advantage of having him on loan is he can't be bought off us this month and it is up to Newcastle where he goes, I would expect him to stay here and continue to score goals before going to a Championship club or first team next season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

Cole had one of his strongest games on Saturday which suggests that he could be close to match fitness by now also. The promotion race will be wide open, all we need to do is remain in contention until April and then push on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cole had one of his strongest games on Saturday which suggests that he could be close to match fitness by now also. The promotion race will be wide open, all we need to do is remain in contention until April and then push on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Burton keep winning despite not boasting a great squad. They just keep on getting those clean sheets, and it's remarkable they've picked up this amount of points despite not playing well.
Original post by Mackay
Burton keep winning despite not boasting a great squad. They just keep on getting those clean sheets, and it's remarkable they've picked up this amount of points despite not playing well.

To think we could be playing them next season.

Walsall, Coventry, Wolves, Birmingham, Villa in one league.
Original post by Mackay
Walsall, Coventry, Wolves, Birmingham, Villa in one league.

And possibly throw in Sunderland and Newcastle, plus the likes of Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest, it will be one heck of a league next season, bit like the old first division back in the early 90s.
Original post by Mackay

They have benefitted greatly from being able to field a consistent team without major injuries so far (off the top of my head). But they are yet another example of just straightforward good management making the difference in a poor league.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair your budget will dwarf theirs by an obscene margin so you should come out on top there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be fair your budget will dwarf theirs by an obscene margin so you should come out on top there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I don't know, knowing Randy Lerner he won't give any money at all.

Quick Reply

Latest