The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

I don't think was a bad decision for the Patriots to kick first. Bill Belichick did the same thing in 2013 in Foxborough against Denver, won the toss, and got the advantage of the wind, in exchange for giveing Denver the first possession in overtime. It turned a would be long-Prater field goal if the wind was in favour, into a punt, and after a few exchanges, a muffed punt and a Pats recovery set up an easy Gostkowski field goal. Belichick is a defensive coach, and it makes sense to back the defense, and make Tommy only have to get to field goal range.

On this, Neil Payne's article on FiveThirtyEight.com is worth a good read.The call to defer was the right one. However, they needed to defer rather than saying they 'want to kick,' to get the advantage of the wind. Sometimes Coach Belichick out coaches himself, but the reasoning was solid. None of this ultimately matters if Slater defers the decision, or the defense does its job. Ryan Fitzpatrick and that Jets offense needs to be given some serious kudos. They executed on every single snap in that overtime.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bill-belichick-patriots-call-wasnt-entirely-stupid/

Regarding Chip Kelly, I'm not surprised that he was sacked. Just, surprised that it came at this time. He wanted more responsibility with personnel, and he got it; and as such had to take responsibility as such roster moves failed spectacularly. I mean, he lets significant veterans on the league's best o-line walk (sorry, Dallas...Philly had the better o-line in 2014); let McCoy go for Kiko Alonso; brought in Byron Maxwell and had his defensive coordinator set him up for a failure; brings in Murray and hardly uses him because he's a bad scheme fit, and the o-line was so bad; brings in Sam Bradford for Nick Foles, as he's a "better" scheme fit, and subsequently has a bad season adjusting, and being injured for a good chunk of it; hardly used Ryan Mathews despite him being a better scheme fit, and healthy. All in addition to forcing out Deseasn Jackson in 2013, only to see him go to a divisional rival, and roast his old team in Philly no less. It's not necessarily a case of another loss in a lost cause season, but the scale of the defeat on Saturday, meant that Chip's position was untenable. If he had a traditional GM, it could be put down as a blip, given his two previous seasons, or a lack of quality, and they would have probably been fired for the moves that haven't worked out.

Chip will be back in work soon. The good college positions have gone so far, but some other coveted positions may open up. Just got to wait until Black Monday. There's a lot of GMs and coaches who will have to clear out their lockers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
I don't think was a bad decision for the Patriots to kick first.
Agreed but it's the way they phrased it.

You can either choose:

Kick/Receive and opponent chooses sides

Defer to opponent and you choose sides

They chose to kick which literally nobody would ever do, so that meant the Jets got to pick the side. In the spirit of the game the refs should have given them an opportunity to correct that, just like they give coaches an opportunity to correct declined/accepted penalties in complex situations.
With Chip I guess they're acknowledging that it was a mistake to give him full control, and if that's how they feel I suppose this is the right choice.

I think with Demarco Murray, Shady and DJax it's starting to feel like there's no smoke without fire on his man management issues.

Speaking of no smoke without fire, let's talk HGH:

An unknown but significant percentage of people are almost certainly using it in the league.
That percentage probably goes up as players develop more contacts throughout their career.
It probably goes up among players who perform at a high level into their 30s.
It probably goes up among players who perform at a high level after a serious injury.
It definitely goes up among people who have a definite source for it.
It almost certainly goes up when a massive amount of money is on the line.

So while I would never cast aspersions and accuse a guy who made a Pro Bowl at 38 after recovering from a serious injury and becoming one of the highest paid players in the league and then was accused of being supplied with the drug by a drug dealer... let's just say I'm hesitant to rule it out.

Also you know how Clay Matthews looks more muscular than most NFL players (who are already really ****ing jacked)? That's because there is absolutely no way he is using PEDs, nor has he ever done that. Take that to the bank.
Can't remember if I posted it here already but bought a season ticket for the international series next year when they came out a few weeks ago.

Paying the same price per ticket as I did this year and in massively better seats. I

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't believe it's week 17 already. Where does the time go.
This Patriots team is a one and done. Has that written all over it. Even getting Edelman back can't help this O-line. Worst in the nfl.
Bills fan setting himself on fire: https://twitter.com/boxxa/status/683699507238965248
Giants against Rams next year in London. Watching odell Beckham junior will be great. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malevolent
This Patriots team is a one and done. Has that written all over it. Even getting Edelman back can't help this O-line. Worst in the nfl.

You do love a moan. Watch them step it up for the playoffs.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You do love a moan. Watch them step it up for the playoffs.

Its not a moan they are awful right now
Reply 1890

Jags O-Line checking in!
Giants are coming to London next season?

I'M THERE!
Gonna get beat by Washington, i can see it....
Playoff Predictor Inbound!

NFC: Greenbay @ Washington
Seattle @ Minnesota

Seattle @ Carolina
Washington @ Arizona

Washington @ Carolina

AFC: Chiefs @ Texans
Steelers @ Bengals

Steelers @ Broncos
Chiefs @ Pats

Steelers @ Chiefs

Supa Bowl Steelerz vs Panthers

Laugh away.
Reply 1894
Wild Card Weekend is my absolute favourite! Its always craziness. But seems my team and half of you other people's didn't make the playoffs, who do you want in the draft? I'll take Ramsey or Hargreaves CB for the Jags at #5 please. We need a real defence.

I'll take on the playoff predictor too:

AFC Wild Card Game 1: Kansas City Chiefs vs. Houston Texans
AFC Wild Card Game 2: Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cincinnati Bengals
Sunday, Jan. 10

NFC Wild Card Game 1: Seattle Seahawks vs. Minnesota Vikings
NFC Wild Card Game 2: Green Bay Packers vs. Washington Redskins

Saturday, Jan. 16

AFC Divisional Round Game 1: New England Patriots vs. Kansas City Chiefs
NFC Divisional Round Game 1: Arizona Cardinals vs. Washington Redskins

Sunday, Jan. 17

NFC Divisional Round Game 2: Carolina Panthers vs. Seattle Seahawks
AFC Divisional Round Game 2: Denver Broncos vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

Sunday, Jan.24

AFC Championship: Kansas City Chiefs @ Pittsburgh Steelers
NFC Championship: Arizona Cardinals @ Carolina Panthers

Sunday, Feb. 7

Super Bowl 50: Kansas City Chiefs v Carolina Panthers

Defence wins Championships apparently.

Edited due to Dalton being out.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm plumping for a Carolina SB win too.

Shame that we couldn't do much with the season when the SB is being hosted in our stadium this year :frown: But hey, number 7 pick in the draft, hopefully a better off season than last, and hopefully someone with a bit more drive than Tomsula.

All in all I do feel somewhat sorry Tomsula had to be the fall guy for Jed York and his nonsense.
Its not a moan they are awful right now

They'd be awful in the NFC playoffs, in the AFC they are average to good.
My picks?

Wildcards
Washington (4) over Green Bay (5)
Seattle (6) over Minnesota (3)
Houston (4) over Kansas City (5)
Cincinnati (3) over Pittsburgh (6).

Although I have a dog in this fight,
Denver (1) to beat Houston (5).
Cincinnati (3) to beat New England (2)

AFCCG: Denver (1) to beat Cincinnati (3).

On the NFC side:

Carolina (1) to beat Seattle (6)
Arizona (2) to beat Washington (4)

NFCCG: Arizona (2) to beat Carolina (1).

Superbowl 50, homer pick, extraordinaire: Denver (1) to beat Arizona (2).
Superbowl 50, head pick, Arizona (2) to beat Denver (1).
My wildcard picks.

Green Bay (5) to beat Washington (4)
Kansas City (5) to beat Houston (4)
Pittsburgh (6). To beat Cincinnati (3)

Anyone else planning on staying up till 4am ish to watch the games tonight?
Original post by Motorbiker
My wildcard picks.

Green Bay (5) to beat Washington (4)
Kansas City (5) to beat Houston (4)
Pittsburgh (6). To beat Cincinnati (3)

Anyone else planning on staying up till 4am ish to watch the games tonight?

Depends how the second game goes but yeah that's the plan

Does anyone know what happened to Kevin cadle??

Quick Reply

Latest