The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forum User
Given that it says 23 Jan 2015 as the deadline, I'd guess they just haven't updated their website yet.

Fair enough. They're definitely cutting it a bit late though - all the other sets with Jan/Feb deadlines (that I'm interested in anyway) have already updated their info.

Speaking of deadlines, I can't believe how early the Atkin deadline is this year. Coupled with their shiny new pupillage award and promise to make offers by the end of Feb, aggressive new recruitment policy much?!
Original post by LadyLaw23

Speaking of deadlines, I can't believe how early the Atkin deadline is this year. Coupled with their shiny new pupillage award and promise to make offers by the end of Feb, aggressive new recruitment policy much?!

I guess it's nice that it spreads the burden a bit at least. I don't like that there's a massive cluster in January. It'll get a bit frantic, I think.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I guess it's nice that it spreads the burden a bit at least. I don't like that there's a massive cluster in January. It'll get a bit frantic, I think.

Very true, though for those fortunate enough to be interviewed, it sounds like the interviews will be taking place exactly during that frantic Jan period :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Interview invites for Reeds solicitors out yesterday by email.

I get the feeling that they haven't been impressed with the calibre of pupillage applicants they've been getting in recent years. I know that in one year recently they didn't take on any pupils because they didn't think anyone was good enough.

Presumably they think that by upping the award and getting in ahead of everyone else they'll get the best candidates.

I have applied there in the past but won't be applying again. They'll be expecting doctorates from Harvard now.
I need to sort my Atkin application out this weekend. It will be my first ever pupillage application so I'm not expecting much.
Original post by Radebe91
I get the feeling that they haven't been impressed with the calibre of pupillage applicants they've been getting in recent years. I know that in one year recently they didn't take on any pupils because they didn't think anyone was good enough.

Presumably they think that by upping the award and getting in ahead of everyone else they'll get the best candidates.

I have applied there in the past but won't be applying again. They'll be expecting doctorates from Harvard now.

Sounds logical enough. I'll apply, but not expecting much for the same reasons you mentioned.

I need to sort my Atkin application out this weekend. It will be my first ever pupillage application so I'm not expecting much.

Same here and good luck!

So it begins...

Snap on all counts.

At least it will be a bit of practice.
Reply 48
Saw that Parklane gave out their pupillages for next year without sending rejections. Complete joke that chambers would do that
Atkin application sent, and so it begins... Good luck all!
any fellow Falconers on here? application deadline today ... good luck!
@ LadyLaw23 and ForumUser: New Square Chambers' deadline is 22 Jan

@ Lawuntomyself: all done. Interview timetable is very brisk - wouldn't want to have to do the sift myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Best guppy
@ LadyLaw23 and ForumUser: New Square Chambers' deadline is 22 Jan

Thanks, thought it would be (the corresponding Friday this year).

Original post by lawuntomyself

Original post by Best guppy
all done.

Finishing it up now - good luck :smile: What type of topic did you guys go for in the Advocacy section (ie. legal, debate, work-related, other, etc)?
(edited 8 years ago)

Yeah, sent it a few days ago.
Finishing it up now - good luck :smile: What type of topic did you guys go for in the Advocacy section (ie. legal, debate, work-related, other, etc)?

i spent a not inconsiderable amount of time agonising over what to write, and in the end settled for something relating to equality; though i think i would have preferred to be given a title ... what route did you go down?

i find the time-frame slightly unnerving - having been conditioned to expect a response from chambers, in respect of mini-pupillages, long after i can even remember applying, it's somewhat scary to think that we'll be hearing back within two weeks!

happy new year all :smile:
i spent a not inconsiderable amount of time agonising over what to write, and in the end settled for something relating to equality; though i think i would have preferred to be given a title ... what route did you go down?

i find the time-frame slightly unnerving - having been conditioned to expect a response from chambers, in respect of mini-pupillages, long after i can even remember applying, it's somewhat scary to think that we'll be hearing back within two weeks!

happy new year all :smile:

Happy New Year!

I know what you mean re time frames! And same here re agonising over what to write - for most other places that have that kind of question, I've done a mini there so have asked whether they have any preferences, but not Falcon. So in the end, I went with current events.

Having said that, it was all for nothing because my computer crashed as I was putting the final touches on and never actually got to send it (only just got the damn thing fixed!) At least I backed up...

Good luck!

4 New Square tomorrow anyone?

Already in, did a bunch between xmas and new year.

Decided against -- I didn't see the update to their deadline early enough.

Next for me is Radcliffe on the 8th.
Does anyone know where to find a comprehensive list of deadlines? I had no idea Radcliffe had changed to 8 Jan and Pupillage Portal never seems to reveal these things either. It's really frustrating.

edit ... or at least a comprehensive list of commercial/chancery sets.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Radebe91
Does anyone know where to find a comprehensive list of deadlines? I had no idea Radcliffe had changed to 8 Jan and Pupillage Portal never seems to reveal these things either. It's really frustrating.

edit ... or at least a comprehensive list of commercial/chancery sets.

No, all the ones I've seen are lacking and/or inaccurate. (Law Careers, Chambers Student, Target Jobs.)

In my mac notes I have upcoming:

8th: Radcliffe
14th: Quadrant
15th: Wilberforce, Serle, XXIV Old Buildings, 5SB, Maitland, 4 Pump
18th: Ten Old Square
19th: Erskine
20th: Stone Chambers
22nd: 3SB, New Square, South Square
1st Feb: Selborne

Have I missed any, anyone?

I checked most of these yesterday, after finding I hadn't noticed 4 New Square.

edit: verified them all just now

edit 2: I'll try to assemble a comprehensive list in OP if people contribute, since as far as I know there isn't one elsewhere. I don't know really anything other than chancery/commercial myself, though.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending