The Student Room Group

Should we abolish the Monarchy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sw651
I lived in India for five years pal, I know all about poverty. I was born on a council estate to a druggie and an alcoholic, and then I was adopted into an upper class family. Welfare gives nothing back to the country. The monarchy does. Perhaps you need to stop insulting people and acting like you know the way the world works.

Well that's terribly sad and I'm sorry about that but you can't go around TSR not allowing other people to have their own opinions. I respect your opinion and see your point but I'm sticking to mine.
Reply 361
Original post by Jammy Duel
Dodging so much tax that her tax rate is 100% with an effective rate of 85%.

Out of curiosity does she have an official salary?
Original post by sw651

The has no official salary, however she has an income that is surrendered in its entirety to the treasury.
Reply 363
Original post by xoweeknd
Well that's terribly sad and I'm sorry about that but you can't go around TSR not allowing other people to have their own opinions. I respect your opinion and see your point but I'm sticking to mine.

I see your opinion too, let's avoid insults and stick to proper debate?
Original post by sw651

Original post by Jammy Duel
The has no official salary, however she has an income that is surrendered in its entirety to the treasury.

By and large all expenses are paid, including maintenence of property and travel costs it amounts to around £40 million P/A.
Original post by sw651
I see your opinion too, let's avoid insults and stick to proper debate?

Indeed!:biggrin:
Reply 366
Original post by drumsticks
By and large all expenses are paid, including maintenence of property and travel costs it amounts to around £40 million P/A.

Not that much really then, considering how much she gives to Britain?
TBH is see them as quite irrevelant, they hardly affect my daily life, and I dont really care about them. Overall, there so pointless and contary to democarcy they may as well go.
But Hey heritage and they're good for tourism

Which is the same as what is dished out for the Prime Minister, or for foreign Heads of State in their own countries. She's not unique in that regard.
Original post by Soontobesuper
TBH is see them as quite irrevelant, they hardly affect my daily life, and I dont really care about them. Overall, there so pointless and contary to democarcy they may as well go.
But Hey heritage and they're good for tourism

If the monarchy is so contrary to democracy, then why do nations with constitutional monarchies like ours- such as Norway, Sweden and New Zealand- always top the rankings of the most democratic nations? How could you possibly hold a view so contrary to the actual evidence?
Original post by Milzime
I really don't think so...

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
x

Nope, because money.

As usual, CGP Grey comes to the rescue with a beautifully informative video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

Nonsense video, as the video below demonstrates.

Original post by sleepysnooze
seen that video and billion times, child. it's mostly ill-informed improper-ganda.

Agreed.

Brilliant take-down:
[video="youtube;_2IO5ifWKdw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IO5ifWKdw[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Nonsense video.

^ Nonsense post. See, I can do it too.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
^ Nonsense post. See, I can do it too.

Well, if you bothered to watch the video I posted, you'd see a complete tear-down of everything said in the first video.
Well, if you bothered to watch the video I posted, you'd see a complete tear-down of everything said in the first video.

Don't want to get involved in this argument, but the sheer number of dislikes on the video you posted (plus the reasons for them, explained in the comment section) makes me doubt the validity of it.
Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 5.17.13 pm.png
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Don't want to get involved in this argument, but the sheer number of dislikes on the video you posted (plus the reasons for them, explained in the comment section) makes me doubt the validity of it.
Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 5.17.13 pm.png

There were no reasons in the comment section, just a bunch of fools posting "hurr durr, your arguments are dumb". Cgpgrey has a boatload of dick suckers who probably came over to this video and disliked without even watching, or watching without an open mind.
Brilliant take-down:
[video="youtube;_2IO5ifWKdw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2IO5ifWKdw[/video]

Actually, this is the nonsense video. It makes no attempt to explain 'loss through inflexibility', and it smacks of being an entirely made-up category. It also assumes the absolute worst result for the security cost. In any case, I consider security costs as much as it needs to be to keep the subjects safe. The amount spent is not decided by the monarch, but is based on assessments by the experts.
There were no reasons in the comment section, just a bunch of fools posting "hurr durr, your arguments are dumb". Cgpgrey has a boatload of dick suckers who probably came over to this video and disliked without even watching, or watching without an open mind.

Ah, yes, the old 'I'm open-minded, my opponents are sheep! ploy. Classic.
Nope, because money.

As usual, CGP Grey comes to the rescue with a beautifully informative video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

The video is slightly out of date, being from before the Sovereign Grants Act 2011, although by coincidence the cost given in the video is accurate for this financial year, although based on growth in the revenues from the Crown Estate over the last few years, the revenues are likely to be about £300m this year from the estate rather than the £200m in the video, which would be an accurate value for the time it was made.
Nonsense video, as the video below demonstrates.

Agreed.

Brilliant take-down:

You see, I got one minute into that video and rejected it for the usual republican "let's throw out the law and history to justify our views" and then claim that the conclusions of arguments are wrong through mere statement of their falsehood rather than challenging the logic or premises used.
Original post by gladders
Actually, this is the nonsense video. It makes no attempt to explain 'loss through inflexibility', and it smacks of being an entirely made-up category. It also assumes the absolute worst result for the security cost. In any case, I consider security costs as much as it needs to be to keep the subjects safe. The amount spent is not decided by the monarch, but is based on assessments by the experts.

Not to mention that the security costs would largely be maintained in a republic, even if we had a unified head of government and state

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending