The Student Room Group

What level should you be at in year 9?

In ENGLISH, MATHS and SCIENCE. By level I mean stuff like 5c,5b,6c,6a or 1,2,3,4,5 in the new GCSE GRADING STRUCTURE.

Scroll to see replies

There's not many people here on TSR that are familiar with the new grading system. So I'm sorry it's unlikely you'll find an adequate response here. Your best bet is to ask your teacher.
Reply 2
I'm in Y9 and I'm currently a:
7a in English
6b in Maths
7c in Science
I'm above average in English and Science but around average in Maths. I'd guess the average would be:
6a/6b in English
6a/6b in Maths
6a/6b in Science
I'm not 100% sure though, they're just what I'd assume.
Reply 3
Original post by Questions27168
There's not many people here on TSR that are familiar with the new grading system. So I'm sorry it's unlikely you'll find an adequate response here. Your best bet is to ask your teacher.

Aha ok thank u
8a
Reply 5
At the beginning of year 9, I was an 8a in maths and science and an 8b in English - but in the 7s and 6s for every other subject! I think I may have been a level 4 for music!

I remember being told a level 8 is the equivalent of a C at GCSE, which would be a 5 on the new system - but don't worry - you've got ages to go before then! :smile:
Original post by 11ahf
At the beginning of year 9, I was an 8a in maths and science and an 8b in English - but in the 7s and 6s for every other subject! I think I may have been a level 4 for music!

I remember being told a level 8 is the equivalent of a C at GCSE, which would be a 5 on the new system - but don't worry - you've got ages to go before then! :smile:

I think it's more approximately a level 7 for a C at GCSE, at least that's what my school says on their sheets for those in KS3 Art.

Some reasons your level means nothing as long as it's at least 6/7:

- levels don't translate well to GCSE grades due to progress over 2 years (which varies)
- while GCSE has A*/A to show differences, EP/Level 9 is generally just considered A/A* grade and there's no way of showing a major difference there
- EPs/level 9s are SO rarely given out by schools, they're really hesitant to give them out.

For instance as well:

My English teacher gave me a level 7 in English at the end of Year 9, got just shy of 90% in my end of year 10 exam. My Computing teacher gave me an EP in Computing at the end of year 9, also got just shy of 90% in my end of year 10 exam. 2 levels of difference, yet a similar result. Levels mean nothing, what you get in your exams is what matters.
Reply 7
JEEZ!!!!!!!
Reply 8
Original post by CloakedSpartan
I think it's more approximately a level 7 for a C at GCSE, at least that's what my school says on their sheets for those in KS3 Art.

Some reasons your level means nothing as long as it's at least 6/7:

- levels don't translate well to GCSE grades due to progress over 2 years (which varies)
- while GCSE has A*/A to show differences, EP/Level 9 is generally just considered A/A* grade and there's no way of showing a major difference there
- EPs/level 9s are SO rarely given out by schools, they're really hesitant to give them out.

For instance as well:

My English teacher gave me a level 7 in English at the end of Year 9, got just shy of 90% in my end of year 10 exam. My Computing teacher gave me an EP in Computing at the end of year 9, also got just shy of 90% in my end of year 10 exam. 2 levels of difference, yet a similar result. Levels mean nothing, what you get in your exams is what matters.

You make me feel dumb lol xD
Reply 9
Original post by 11ahf

I feel dumb now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by hasfaz

No, don't. Not to blow my own trumpet but as I'm at the top end of a grammar school I don't particularly represent the average person going to school in the UK. XD

Neither does the average TSR person, though.
Reply 11
No, don't. Not to blow my own trumpet but as I'm at the top end of a grammar school I don't particularly represent the average person going to school in the UK. XD

Neither does the average TSR person, though.

wait where year r u in looool im just in an average high school xD
Reply 12

It varies-
Drawing ability at level 7 is a C/5 at GCSE art
If you can get a level 8 in maths, that's a B/6 at GCSE maths
If you can get a level 8 in English, that's a C/5 at GCSE English
I think for most subjects (history, geography...) ability shown at level 8 is a C.

Science papers are in a completely different format so it's impossible to tell. You also need completely different knowledge!
Original post by hasfaz
wait where year r u in looool im just in an average high school xD

11, that's why I referred to my end of year 10 exams. :P Though I've gotten my mock GCSEs back now, except for English.
probs not much help BUT when I was in year 9 I was in set 7/10 for maths and set 6/10 for sciences and 5/10 for everything else. Wasn't regarded as smart at all and got picked on quite a bit. Came out with 4A*s 3 As and 3 Bs. Not quite oxbridge but higher than some of those set 1s! Hard work pays off guys, and never listen to a sixth former saying "GCSEs, what a doddle!"- GCSEs were my first stress hurdles :h:
Reply 15
Original post by hasfaz
In ENGLISH, MATHS and SCIENCE. By level I mean stuff like 5c,5b,6c,6a or 1,2,3,4,5 in the new GCSE GRADING STRUCTURE.

Every student are at a different academic level. Focus in trying your best and getting the highest grade you can achieve with your abilities.

You can walk off with 5cs during yr9 and still manage to get A/A* at GCSE if you keep trying.
Reply 16
11, that's why I referred to my end of year 10 exams. :P Though I've gotten my mock GCSEs back now, except for English.

That proves how dumb I am :frown: xD Well good luck for everything. Im in year 9 so I have to do the new GCSE :frown:
Reply 17
Original post by kkboyk
Every student are at a different academic level. Focus in trying your best and getting the highest grade you can achieve with your abilities.

You can walk off with 5cs during yr9 and still manage to get A/A* at GCSE if you keep trying.

awh aha thank u for that positiveness xD
Reply 18
Most of mine where 7s in year 9 with a 6A in English and a 8c in maths (our school was very reluctant to give out 8's) highest was a 8A in textiles. I went to a state school (sports college) and ended up with 7 A*s at GCSE expressive arts I think are much harder to get a good grade in and most people got 4c-5a in my year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by hasfaz

Don't:
Like cloakedspartan, I am also top end grammar school (lmao feel so lame saying that).
Also, I was an early achiever: about as clever now as I was in year 8!

I'm in year 11. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest