The Student Room Group

Miserable at uni but too scared to quit.... what do I do?

Im a first year at uni. My flat in halls had 8 people in it at the start but only 3 including me remain, the rest have quit (which doesn't help as its knocked my confidence). I live about 2 hours away from uni and go back every few weeks as I've always been a homebird. My parents are very supportive of me and im not under any pressure to stay from them but my parents have rightfully warned me that 'if you leave university, it will be great for a few weeks/months, However in a few years you will regret it'. I know this is true but im really sad at uni.

I intended to live with my flat next year, but because 5 of us left, the ones remaining are starting to wobble. I enjoy my course but I wouldn't say I love it. The problem is is that my course is quite a rare one, so no local unis close to home do it. The best scenario possible would me commuting to uni, but sadly that's not possible as its too far and in all honesty im not ready to do any other course than the one im on because although this course really is the one for me, the learning is quite boring.

If 1 was me literally quitting and 10 was me definately staying I would say im on about 3/4.

Im worrying like mad about not having anyone to live with next year and the whole accomodation thing as I wont live with my flatmates next year.

I want to just leave, I dont want to be miserable for 3 years but I know that in life, a degree is so stupidly important. What can I do? Im scared to leave uni because I dont know what Ill do with my life as my job that I want has to have a degree behind it.
Why are you so miserable exactly?
What exactly do you not like? That your flat mates are gone? You really have not specified why you don't like uni.
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Why are you so miserable exactly?

The uncertainty of spending 3 years here

The Homesickness

The fact that im so close to quitting makes me miserable. I know that if I quit I will get grief from my friends back home and I don't want to lose friends (my parents told me that if I quite uni, my friends from home who are still at their unis will lose interest in me and will move on to new people while im stuck behind, and I know this is true no matter how harsh it is)

Im in limbo as im not honestly enjoying myself here, yet deep down I know I cant leave as a degree is needed now for a good job

My dad told me that spending 3 years in misery is better than spending the rest of my life in misery as I wont be able to find a good job without a degree and again this is so true but I really cant face spending let alone another year here I cant even image spending 2 1/2 more here.
Reply 4
Original post by loveleest
What exactly do you not like? That your flat mates are gone? You really have not specified why you don't like uni.

My flatmates leaving did shake me as I intended these people to be the people I would live with for the next three years. I just really hate it here I cant describe exactly why buy id much rather be at home.
Original post by Student8787

The Homesickness

The fact that im so close to quitting makes me miserable. I know that if I quit I will get grief from my friends back home and I don't want to lose friends (my parents told me that if I quite uni, my friends from home who are still at their unis will lose interest in me and will move on to new people while im stuck behind, and I know this is true no matter how harsh it is)

Im in limbo as im not honestly enjoying myself here, yet deep down I know I cant leave as a degree is needed now for a good job

My dad told me that spending 3 years in misery is better than spending the rest of my life in misery as I wont be able to find a good job without a degree and again this is so true but I really cant face spending let alone another year here I cant even image spending 2 1/2 more here.

So your miserable because your homesick and the uncertainty :l , not sure what advice to give to that tbh :L
My flatmates leaving did shake me as I intended these people to be the people I would live with for the next three years. I just really hate it here I cant describe exactly why buy id much rather be at home.

You decided to quit a bit too late I think. You can drop out and maybe do an apprenticeship/internship if you feel it fits your course or if there are any even available.

The Homesickness

Do you have a plan? I don't think it is wise to just quit without having some idea of what it is you want or hope to do after. I'm miserable on my course too and planning on changing uni and course next school year, so I'm just sticking to my current course until I get offers for the course I want to change too.
Can I ask what you ended up doing after??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending