The Student Room Group

Drawing optical isomers question?!

Hi, I just had a quick question about convention really with drawing out optical isomers.

This is my working for a question which asked for the optical isomers of 1,2-dichloropropane. It first asked me for the fully displayed formula which starts my working, then the two optical isomers. This is my answer:

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

My concern is that the answer in the mark scheme is slightly differently laid out. Is my answer still correct? Is there a convention I should be following?
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Hi, I just had a quick question about convention really with drawing out optical isomers.

This is my working for a question which asked for the optical isomers of 1,2-dichloropropane. It first asked me for the fully displayed formula which starts my working, then the two optical isomers. This is my answer:

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

My concern is that the answer in the mark scheme is slightly differently laid out. Is my answer still correct? Is there a convention I should be following?

No, your answer is fine. As long as it is correct, it doesn't have to be laid out in exactly the same orientation
Original post by Funky_Giraffe

MY WORKING:

MARK SCHEME LAY-OUT

The layout is fine, the only issue is that on your right molecule you've written CH2Cl-C which sort of implies the chiral carbon has bonded to Cl rather than C. Write ClH2C-C instead.
Original post by Laurasaur
No, your answer is fine. As long as it is correct, it doesn't have to be laid out in exactly the same orientation

Original post by Plagioclase
The layout is fine, the only issue is that on your right molecule you've written CH2Cl-C which sort of implies the chiral carbon has bonded to Cl rather than C. Write ClH2C-C instead.

Yes! @Plagioclase figured that after I posted but thanks for flagging it up again. Many thanks to you both for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Your answer is perfectly fine - I would just say to make sure you always get the marks is to make sure you always draw the bonds to the right atoms, On the second one you've made it look like the chiral carbon is bonded directly to the Cl in CH2Cl, Some mark schemes allow it and some don't so I would just be sure and have it so the C is bonded to the chiral carbon!

Quick Reply

Latest