The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year and reapplying to universities- stuck with which ones to choose!

I started University this year with grades BBC (was expecting ABB, badly mucked up my psychology), even though my requirement was ABB, and I also got into my insurance choice (BBB offer). Due to problems at home and generally realising I made the wrong choice with my University, I decided to leave my current University. I'm reapplying for next year, but I'm confused as to where to apply to. Should I apply for places that want ABB-BBB even though I have BBC? I have strong GCSE'S, a good reference, and good employment and work experience. I know it would seem silly to apply somewhere that is above my grades, but I know that clearing often allows people in who have missed a grade or two? Very confused, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
Thank you :smile:
I think you'd find it useful if you resat some exams, BBC can be brought up to ABB through resitting 2-3 modules. I don't think you should rely entirely on clearing seeing as you're already a year behind.
Reply 2
Oh I wouldn't be relying on clearing, i would be applying now and accepting offers now. I don't really have the time this year to resit anything, maybe one module maximum (my dad is really unwell).
Reply 3
P.S thanks for your reply
Reply 4
omg I have literally been looking for so long to find somebody in this situation! I was predicted AAB but got BBC but still got into my insurance. However I don't like my insurance uni so want to reapply for 2016. I know the ucas deadling is very soon but I don't know what unis to apply to as my grades aren't enough to get into most very good unis! Neither do I want to rely on clearing as it is very risky, such a tricky situation! Tomorrow I am going to ring up some ABB-BBB unis and see if they will consider me and ask if there is anything course related I could do on my gap year that I could put on my personal statement which would maybe make them give me an offer! I really don't know what I am doing atm, have you made any decisions/had any luck?
Reply 5
I applied to Reading Kent Brunel Essex and Southampton, still waiting for Southampton and have an interview for Essex but unconditionals from the rest! I'd say most ABB places are happy with BBC if you already have your grades, as long as they don't ask for an A in a specific subject and you only have a B!
Reply 6
aaah thats great! thanks so much for the quick reply! were those unis you applied to above your bbc?
Reply 7
Yep reading and Kent ABB, Southampton ABB/AAB, Essex and Brunel BBB 😌
Original post by E2626
Yep reading and Kent ABB, Southampton ABB/AAB, Essex and Brunel BBB 😌

Hello,
I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex so thought I'd reply to this. I think you should still apply for those universities. You've got a good chance of getting into one. I know that Essex will take a look at your personal statement as well as your grades and it's good that you are applying for a wide range of universities :smile:
If you have any questions about the University of Essex feel free to ask,
Natalie.
With ACHIEVED grades there is no flexibility - ie. no question of you getting higher grades in August - so, for anywhere asking A grades, its almost certain that with BBC you will get a straight rejection, as that sort of Uni doesnt need to be 'kind' to anyone with a grade below in all 3 A levels. You might get an offer for a course asking BBB but make sure you also apply for tat least 3 asking BBC.

Psychology is very competitive so its likely that Unis will not be dropping grades at Clearing and you'll probably only get offered places at Unis you could have applied to anyway (ie. asking BBB or BBC) or for unusual subject combinations (Psychology with .....).

Grade ranges (ABB-BBB) usually mean that the first grade set is the standard offer and the second one only for 'contextual offers' (those from disadvantaged backgrounds, low performing schools etc). So do not assume you would be considered for the lower requirements - check with the Uni exactly what the criteria for the lower offer actually is.

Don't get obsessed with 'grade requirements'. A Uni asking for higher grades doesn't mean that its a 'better' course or that you will enjoy the course or the Uni more. Instead, look at the course content - what optional units are available in each year of the course, what really interests you and which ones would you actually choose, are there any opportunities for study aboard, work placements etc). This is all far more important for your enjoyment of the course, and therefore degree result, than the brand name of the Uni (employers are actually far less impressed wit this than many school leavers assume).

It IS worth looking at courses beyond just 'Psychology' as all joint subject courses have a higher application/offer ratio meaning are far more likely to get an offer even for those asking BBB. As examples : - Applied Psychology and Criminology at Brighton (BBB), Psychology with a whole range of 2nd subjects at Keele (BBB), Philosophy and Psychology at Aberdeen (BBB), Psychology with Developmental Disorders at South Wales (BBC), International Relations and Psychology at Plymouth (260 points), Education Studies and Psychology at Oxford Brookes (BBC). What Uni (http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/psychology-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/r/5973/page.html) is a good place to look for appropriate courses as it has a 'grade filter'.
Reply 10
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I currently study Psychology at the University of Essex so thought I'd reply to this. I think you should still apply for those universities. You've got a good chance of getting into one. I know that Essex will take a look at your personal statement as well as your grades and it's good that you are applying for a wide range of universities :smile:
If you have any questions about the University of Essex feel free to ask,
Natalie.

Hi Natalie, I have already applied to those universities and I have uncondtionals from Kent, Reading and Brunel and an interview at Essex. However as I want to go to reading over Essex I wont be attending my Essex interview.
Thanks for your reply!
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
With ACHIEVED grades there is no flexibility - ie. no question of you getting higher grades in August - so, for anywhere asking A grades, its almost certain that with BBC you will get a straight rejection, as that sort of Uni doesnt need to be 'kind' to anyone with a grade below in all 3 A levels. You might get an offer for a course asking BBB but make sure you also apply for tat least 3 asking BBC.

Psychology is very competitive so its likely that Unis will not be dropping grades at Clearing and you'll probably only get offered places at Unis you could have applied to anyway (ie. asking BBB or BBC) or for unusual subject combinations (Psychology with .....).

Grade ranges (ABB-BBB) usually mean that the first grade set is the standard offer and the second one only for 'contextual offers' (those from disadvantaged backgrounds, low performing schools etc). So do not assume you would be considered for the lower requirements - check with the Uni exactly what the criteria for the lower offer actually is.

Don't get obsessed with 'grade requirements'. A Uni asking for higher grades doesn't mean that its a 'better' course or that you will enjoy the course or the Uni more. Instead, look at the course content - what optional units are available in each year of the course, what really interests you and which ones would you actually choose, are there any opportunities for study aboard, work placements etc). This is all far more important for your enjoyment of the course, and therefore degree result, than the brand name of the Uni (employers are actually far less impressed wit this than many school leavers assume).

It IS worth looking at courses beyond just 'Psychology' as all joint subject courses have a higher application/offer ratio meaning are far more likely to get an offer even for those asking BBB. As examples : - Applied Psychology and Criminology at Brighton (BBB), Psychology with a whole range of 2nd subjects at Keele (BBB), Philosophy and Psychology at Aberdeen (BBB), Psychology with Developmental Disorders at South Wales (BBC), International Relations and Psychology at Plymouth (260 points), Education Studies and Psychology at Oxford Brookes (BBC). What Uni (http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/courses/degree-courses/psychology-degree-courses-united-kingdom/m/united+kingdom/r/5973/page.html) is a good place to look for appropriate courses as it has a 'grade filter'.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I'm not taking psychology, I'm taking english. And I already have uncondtionals from unis above my BBC grades (ABB requirements).
But thank you for your advice anyway, I'm sure it'll be beneficial to someone else in a gap year position.

Quick Reply

Latest