The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Hello guys,

I would like to ask you a question about the GRE requirement at Cambridge.

I am a Polish undergrad that has already applied to UK unis for Bachelor's but destroyed a year of stress and work (including an offer from UCL) during one 3-hour exam.
This year I am planning to apply for graduate courses in Economics. At many universities in many countries - which will be a headache.

It seems that Cambridge has the earliest deadline for applications (28 Jan, and references within two weeks, it seems).

Now, I have to take the GRE and send the scores. But the problem is that now I have the biggest load of work I ever had at the uni (the grande finale of this will be 3 exams in the exam session from 18 Jan - don't know the exact dates yet)
From what I understand, in GRE you get the unofficial score right away, the official scores in up to two weeks and about 4-6 weeks after the exam the universities get the report.

I want to write the GRE as late into January as possible, but I get lost in all these deadlines. Which scores does Cambridge want and when (28th or maybe together with the references)?. Do you know the answer to the question?

I will be very grateful for every hint that will save me hours of going through a caleidoscope of uni websites and internet forums.

I tried to be as concise as I could :biggrin:
Thanks in advance!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 741
Original post by HOBIX
X

Take a gap year and apply next year. You'll have your results and the time to make a strong application.
Reply 742
Original post by omoz
The personal statement for the Cambridge Trust was quite difficult to write. I wrote about the significance of my research. Plus I sprinkled some of my academic achievements in the statement. All in all, I have no idea what the trust will be looking out for.

Thanks! I find that the application form is much more demanding at Cambridge than at Oxford. So many textboxes to fill - with almost no information on what they want to know. :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 743
Original post by HOBIX
Hello guys,

I would like to ask you a question about the GRE requirement at Cambridge.

I am a Polish undergrad that has already applied to UK unis for Bachelor's but destroyed a year of stress and work (including an offer from UCL) during one 3-hour exam.
This year I am planning to apply for graduate courses in Economics. At many universities in many countries - which will be a headache.

It seems that Cambridge has the earliest deadline for applications (28 Jan, and references within two weeks, it seems).

Now, I have to take the GRE and send the scores. But the problem is that now I have the biggest load of work I ever had at the uni (the grande finale of this will be 3 exams in the exam session from 18 Jan - don't know the exact dates yet)
From what I understand, in GRE you get the unofficial score right away, the official scores in up to two weeks and about 4-6 weeks after the exam the universities get the report.

I want to write the GRE as late into January as possible, but I get lost in all these deadlines. Which scores does Cambridge want and when (28th or maybe together with the references)?. Do you know the answer to the question?

I will be very grateful for every hint that will save me hours of going through a caleidoscope of uni websites and internet forums.

I tried to be as concise as I could :biggrin:
Thanks in advance!

They'll be fine with the unofficial score in assessing your application, if you get an offer then one of the conditions will be the official score. As they wont assess your application until you get the references you'll probably be ok submitting it within the 2 weeks, but you may want to confirm that with the graduate admissions secretary in your faculty. (From what I recall the deadline was for the application itself and the references and all other supporting documentation like transcripts etc had to be in within 2 weeks, but it was a while ago...)
Original post by sj27
They'll be fine with the unofficial score in assessing your application, if you get an offer then one of the conditions will be the official score. As they wont assess your application until you get the references you'll probably be ok submitting it within the 2 weeks, but you may want to confirm that with the graduate admissions secretary in your faculty. (From what I recall the deadline was for the application itself and the references and all other supporting documentation like transcripts etc had to be in within 2 weeks, but it was a while ago...)

I think you are right, deadline is for an application with all of the supporting documents with references included. References can be sent up to 14 days after application submition but before course deadline.
Reply 745
Original post by Broyo
Yeah, particularly because of the nature of development studies. I suspect you will wait longer to hear department decisions but your other stages should be the same.

What do you mean by "the nature of development studies"? I applied for the same programme and have the same situation as @elenahoyy
Reply 746
Original post by miiru
What do you mean by "the nature of development studies"? I applied for the same programme and have the same situation as @elenahoyy

I have friends who study DS at ox and sussex and the procedure is more complicated than for say history because it isn't as much about'on paper'. It takes more time to make decisions becuase of assesment and cohort variance.
when are the people at cambridge back into action for this term?
Reply 748
Original post by LingHin
I think you are right, deadline is for an application with all of the supporting documents with references included. References can be sent up to 14 days after application submition but before course deadline.

That is not what is said here:
http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/faqs/applicant/do-i-have-upload-supporting-documents-funding-or-course-deadline

"You have 14 days from the date you submitted your application form to upload all the required supporting documents regardless of how close to the deadline you submitted the form."
Original post by Young Oldman

Graduate Admissions opened again yesterday (January 4, 2016).
Are there any MPhil Finance & Economics offer given out recently? Have been waiting for years...
Hi Young Oldman, any updates to your application status? Mine remains being "under consideration by department". I wonder if anyone applying for the Engineering Department has found a change to his/her status.

Original post by Young Oldman
Reply 752
Original post by Broyo
I have friends who study DS at ox and sussex and the procedure is more complicated than for say history because it isn't as much about'on paper'. It takes more time to make decisions becuase of assesment and cohort variance.

I see. I didn't know about that! Do you have any idea what particular things/ aspects they look for if they don't focus so much 'on paper' then?
Reply 753
Original post by miiru
I see. I didn't know about that! Do you have any idea what particular things/ aspects they look for if they don't focus so much 'on paper' then?

Not going to preach gospel but I think the admissions lot have longer discussions about your off-degree experience. It's also a bit more about which students will benefit from the programme (as many non-stem seem to be) which means they look at the cohort more conclusively.

At least, that's how i understand it. Mike waited until april for ox acceptance last year and he applied i think just before christmas.
Original post by neverbegin
Are there any MPhil Finance & Economics offer given out recently? Have been waiting for years...

Mine has been put on hold :frown:
Do you mind sharing your background?
Reply 755
Original post by neverbegin

A friend of mine at uni was given an offer around two weeks ago just before christmas. 70% average in final year.
Anybody in the POLIS department received any offers (for PhD)?
:hi:

Gad this thread exists :biggrin:

I'm on the verge of submitting an application for MASt, myself. :woo: It'd be interesting to hear about what you guys are up to; more specifically, if there are any other mathmos on here :colone:

How long do they take (on average) to get back to you once you've submitted an application? Also, I can't be the only one who's applying to both Cambridge and Oxford? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 758
Original post by Indeterminate
:hi:

Gad this thread exists :biggrin:

I'm on the verge of submitting an application for MASt, myself. :woo: It'd be interesting to hear about what you guys are up to; more specifically, if there are any other mathmos on here :colone:

How long do they take (on average) to get back to you once you've submitted an application? Also, I can't be the only one who's applying to both Cambridge and Oxford? :smile:

No. :biggrin:
Original post by Josb
No. :biggrin:

Any particular reason? :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply