The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5700
Original post by velvetsky
Does anyone own a bible?
Earlier I realised that I don't own a bible and I really need to get one ASAP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a few, although that includes a children's one and a couple of new testaments and just individual Gospels.

The main two I use are a confirmation gift that's a pretty one, and a bigger (now) tattier one that's full of highlights and underlines and page markers.

Just make sure you get a good translation. I don't remember what denomination you are, but if you're Catholic I can make some recommendations. If not I'm sure someone else can suggest some :cute:
Reply 5701
Original post by TitanCream
Oooo, why so may I ask?

Hey! It was good! I got an offer from my dream university!!

That's awesome! Well done! Where/what for?! (Obvs you don't need to answer if you don't want to though)

Original post by Cato the Elder
Is it me or is the Islamic Society so much more popular?

Does seem to be, but I think it's partly that they seem to be more vocal. A lot of the old regulars have gone now too, and they haven't been replaced in the same way :frown:

Original post by Joannywhite
Yes all is going well we thank God for being faithful.
How have you been? :smile:

Awesome. Glad you're enjoying it! (Although every time I see you posting it reminds me that I've kinda completely abandoned my blog... Oops :colondollar:)

I'm okay. Enjoying my job, and have just found out that my contract has been extended to June, so that's nice, and gives me longer before I have to work out/think about what to do next.

Original post by Scrappy-coco
I don't post here often but I have to shout out to TLGH, Racoon and Aula who keep this thread going and are always here. Well done guys God bless.

Aww thanks :blush:
Does anyone own a bible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I recently bought one in a translation I like (NIV for me) and realised how much of a difference it makes to have one to keep near you! Reading the Word every day has helped me so much in growing as a Christan this year... Definitely make sure you choose it well and like it :smile:
Original post by mazzaion
I'm so happy that this is a positive place! It's nice to come here during the stressful week of Oxford decisions... please pray for me tomorrow and wednesday, that I will be content with whatever God has in store for me! :biggrin:

Praying :hugs:

Does anyone own a bible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a few but I never really use any of them - I tend to Google stuff instead :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's our thoughts on natural theology? Anyone interested in philosophical arguments for God or have favourite ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aula
That's awesome! Well done! Where/what for?! (Obvs you don't need to answer if you don't want to though)

Does seem to be, but I think it's partly that they seem to be more vocal. A lot of the old regulars have gone now too, and they haven't been replaced in the same way :frown:

Awesome. Glad you're enjoying it! (Although every time I see you posting it reminds me that I've kinda completely abandoned my blog... Oops :colondollar:)

I'm okay. Enjoying my job, and have just found out that my contract has been extended to June, so that's nice, and gives me longer before I have to work out/think about what to do next.

Classical Civilisation at Warwick!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Glad to hear you are happy! Praise the Lord! :jebus:
Thank you! :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Scrappy-coco
I get lazy when it's dark out :tongue:

And congrats! What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Politics, History and English Literature! But I've just realised you mean which course I have been accepted for :colondollar: That would be Classics!
Does anyone own a bible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love the Life Application bible. It's an NIV translation.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Application-Study-Bible-Niv/dp/0854769463
(82 x 5* reviews:smile:)

It seems to vary in price so not quite sure what that's about but I find it a great bible because it has lots of additional stuff in it like each book has an introduction, there are helpful notes on each page etc.

But it is heavy and not pocket size.
Does anyone own a bible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have two, a NKJV thimslim/ultraslim bible and a cool souvenir edition bible which is NIV :smile: definately get one quick, i like actually having one than an app or something
I have one ;O
Original post by Aula

Haha it is a real struggle running a blog so I totally understand.
Awwww glad to hear your job is going well. Im sure youl'll think of something when time comes.
Hello, everyone! I haven't posted in here for a while because I got a voluntary ban (over a year ago :shock:) but I was thinking about this thread in particular the other day and decided to reverse the ban because I really did enjoy coming here when I needed to find a sense of peace in this overwhelming Internet world. Some of you might remember me, some might not, and others will be new here, but regardless of whether you know me or not I'm saying hi and hoping you all had a good/bearable Christmas season.

At the moment I'm still at home most of the time (agoraphobia, yay!) but I did move house recently which makes me more central and more able to get out (with family) on my better days. I was going to start an Open University course because I've been waiting to go to a physical university now since 2009 and it's getting a bit boring having to face up to not being ready for it whenever another summer rolls around. I thought studying for a degree from home would give me a sense of purpose, but I ended up cancelling it because I wasn't 100% convinced that the subject material was right for me and I want to give myself another chance to get to Nottingham (where I really want to join in with their Catholic society/faith community - I think I've mentioned that before here - anyway, they seem to have a great community and my lonely soul would enjoy being around people again if at all possible).

I'm still not making it to Church because of the agoraphobia, although my sister's old vicar and his wife visited yesterday out of the blue and have made it clear we'd be welcome at the Church if we wanted to go. I know I should make an effort but when I last tried going to Church I just felt panicky throughout the service and I couldn't connect with what was being said at all because of how I felt. I have trouble staying un-panicky even when people visit the house, so staying un-panicky when I'm out of my comfort zone is a bit terrifying.

Even though I'm probably doing a good job of making my life sound very depressing, I'm actually feeling quite hopeful right now and I'm definitely doing more with my life (albeit at home) than I was a year or two ago. I'm reading a lot more and thinking about God and basically feeling a bit more like me than I used to. You don't have to respond to my life story, it's just good to offload sometimes - and I'm always open to having other people offload on me if that's anything any of you need in the future.
Original post by mscaffrey
Hello, everyone! I haven't posted in here for a while because I got a voluntary ban (over a year ago :shock:) but I was thinking about this thread in particular the other day and decided to reverse the ban because I really did enjoy coming here when I needed to find a sense of peace in this overwhelming Internet world. Some of you might remember me, some might not, and others will be new here, but regardless of whether you know me or not I'm saying hi and hoping you all had a good/bearable Christmas season.

At the moment I'm still at home most of the time (agoraphobia, yay!) but I did move house recently which makes me more central and more able to get out (with family) on my better days. I was going to start an Open University course because I've been waiting to go to a physical university now since 2009 and it's getting a bit boring having to face up to not being ready for it whenever another summer rolls around. I thought studying for a degree from home would give me a sense of purpose, but I ended up cancelling it because I wasn't 100% convinced that the subject material was right for me and I want to give myself another chance to get to Nottingham (where I really want to join in with their Catholic society/faith community - I think I've mentioned that before here - anyway, they seem to have a great community and my lonely soul would enjoy being around people again if at all possible).

I'm still not making it to Church because of the agoraphobia, although my sister's old vicar and his wife visited yesterday out of the blue and have made it clear we'd be welcome at the Church if we wanted to go. I know I should make an effort but when I last tried going to Church I just felt panicky throughout the service and I couldn't connect with what was being said at all because of how I felt. I have trouble staying un-panicky even when people visit the house, so staying un-panicky when I'm out of my comfort zone is a bit terrifying.

Even though I'm probably doing a good job of making my life sound very depressing, I'm actually feeling quite hopeful right now and I'm definitely doing more with my life (albeit at home) than I was a year or two ago. I'm reading a lot more and thinking about God and basically feeling a bit more like me than I used to. You don't have to respond to my life story, it's just good to offload sometimes - and I'm always open to having other people offload on me if that's anything any of you need in the future.

Hey :biggrin: :wavey: :ahee: :hi: :hat2:

Welcome back! I remember you! :biggrin:

I'm glad you are generally feeling more hopeful - that is very promising. Sorry to hear about the agoraphobia though - that sounds very difficult.

Many Catholic priests do home visits to those who cannot get to church (for whatever reason) and there is a special condensed Mass that can be done in people's homes. I think they call it Communion for the Sick but not sure. I've not had a priest come around to my house coz my dad won't allow it (my dad is very weird, so don't ask :tongue: ), but just before Christmas I managed to see the priest who ministers to my secondary school at HIS house, and he did this special mini-Mass for me, in case I couldn't make it to church at Christmas. (Dunno if you remember but churches and other religious buildings are a trigger for my psychosis. That's sadly still an ongoing problem for me, so I rarely go to church and when I do, it can be disastrous! :frown: )

So maybe if you are wanting to go to Mass but can't leave the house, you could enquire about weekly/fortnightly visits, if you feel you might benefit from that? I would love to have home visits but sadly for as long as I live with my dad, that won't happen :frown:

I don't remember the Nottingham thing - but will pray that you get a place and that you can manage to go! It's got a beautiful main campus (my younger sister went there to study medicine) and the Jubilee campus is quite cool! (Never been to the other campus where the vets go.)

May God bless you and keep you well :lovehug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hey :biggrin: :wavey: :ahee: :hi: :hat2:

Welcome back! I remember you! :biggrin:

I'm glad you are generally feeling more hopeful - that is very promising. Sorry to hear about the agoraphobia though - that sounds very difficult.

Many Catholic priests do home visits to those who cannot get to church (for whatever reason) and there is a special condensed Mass that can be done in people's homes. I think they call it Communion for the Sick but not sure. I've not had a priest come around to my house coz my dad won't allow it (my dad is very weird, so don't ask :tongue: ), but just before Christmas I managed to see the priest who ministers to my secondary school at HIS house, and he did this special mini-Mass for me, in case I couldn't make it to church at Christmas. (Dunno if you remember but churches and other religious buildings are a trigger for my psychosis. That's sadly still an ongoing problem for me, so I rarely go to church and when I do, it can be disastrous! :frown: )

So maybe if you are wanting to go to Mass but can't leave the house, you could enquire about weekly/fortnightly visits, if you feel you might benefit from that? I would love to have home visits but sadly for as long as I live with my dad, that won't happen :frown:

I don't remember the Nottingham thing - but will pray that you get a place and that you can manage to go! It's got a beautiful main campus (my younger sister went there to study medicine) and the Jubilee campus is quite cool! (Never been to the other campus where the vets go.)

May God bless you and keep you well :lovehug:

Thank you! :hugs:

I do remember your struggles with going to Church, too. It's such a sad situation when you feel as though you want to be in contact with the faith and all that worshipping/being part of a community entails but you just can't access it. I'm so glad you managed to get your mini-Mass before Christmas. I'm not actually a confirmed Catholic - I'm looking to convert from my Anglo-Catholicism to Roman Catholicism so I'm not sure whether a Priest would be willing to visit me to do the non-Mass things or not. It's something I've never thought of asking about, though, so thanks for the suggestion. I might email my local Church (unfortunately the Catholic Church nearest to me is the furthest away of the 4 local Churches - if it was on the next street I might be able to build myself up to it, although sitting in a service would still be quite difficult right now) and see what they say to me. It's strange because I always think of Priests visiting the elderly who can't get to Church and never really thought of asking for myself. In our old flat I wouldn't have been able to have a Priest visit, though (shared with my weird mum and sister :tongue: who I still live with now, but it was so small I didn't really have my own space and they both have a dislike of visitors), so I guess the suggestion has come at just the right time.

Thank you for the prayers! I'll be praying for you too.
Original post by mscaffrey
Thank you! :hugs:

I do remember your struggles with going to Church, too. It's such a sad situation when you feel as though you want to be in contact with the faith and all that worshipping/being part of a community entails but you just can't access it. I'm so glad you managed to get your mini-Mass before Christmas. I'm not actually a confirmed Catholic - I'm looking to convert from my Anglo-Catholicism to Roman Catholicism so I'm not sure whether a Priest would be willing to visit me to do the non-Mass things or not. It's something I've never thought of asking about, though, so thanks for the suggestion. I might email my local Church (unfortunately the Catholic Church nearest to me is the furthest away of the 4 local Churches - if it was on the next street I might be able to build myself up to it, although sitting in a service would still be quite difficult right now) and see what they say to me. It's strange because I always think of Priests visiting the elderly who can't get to Church and never really thought of asking for myself. In our old flat I wouldn't have been able to have a Priest visit, though (shared with my weird mum and sister :tongue: who I still live with now, but it was so small I didn't really have my own space and they both have a dislike of visitors), so I guess the suggestion has come at just the right time.

Thank you for the prayers! I'll be praying for you too.

I don't think not quite being a Roman Catholic would prevent a priest from coming, though it would of course have to involve a blessing rather than communion :smile:

High five for weird families! :five: And thanks for your prayers, which are very much aappreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so happy that this is a positive place! It's nice to come here during the stressful week of Oxford decisions... please pray for me tomorrow and wednesday, that I will be content with whatever God has in store for me! :biggrin:

Best of luck! I jumped for joy when I got an offer from Warwick!

How did it go?!
Jonah 1-4 New International Version (NIV)

1 The word of the Lord came to Jonah son of Amittai:
2 “Go to the great city of Nineveh (in Iran, cities that were at the centre of Assyria's power) and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me.”

8.Let everyone call urgently on God. Let them give up their evil ways and their violence.
9 Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish.”
10 When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, he relented and did not bring on them the destruction he had threatened.

I think the story of Jonah is as relevant today as it was when it was written:smile:. Its an interesting book and well worth studying as its full of many layers.

You can read it just as it it a story about someone being told to do something by God, rebelling and trying to run away from God, everything in their life goes wrong so they have to turn to face God and carry out his request, like a parable.

Or see in it Jesus referring to Jonah and Nineveh relating it to his own death, resurrection, and judgement.

Matthew 12:39-41

39 He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgement with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.

and

Luke 11:29-32

The Sign of Jonah29 As the crowds increased, Jesus said, “This is a wicked generation. It asks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah. 30 For as Jonah was a sign to the Ninevites, so also will the Son of Man be to this generation.
Interesting either way.:h:
Original post by TitanCream
How did it go?!

I didn't get in which has actually opened more doors for me than I thought, after the initial disappointment. In the end I might defer university places and take a gap year doing my old church's bible study program! So I'm really quite undecided, working through that at the moment :smile:
Posted this in the atheism soc too, interested to read what you guys have to say about this article:

Chief Rabbi: atheism has failed. Only religion can defeat the new barbarians
"Future intellectual historians will look back with wonder at the strange phenomenon of seemingly intelligent secularists in the 21st century believing that if they could show that the first chapters of Genesis are not literally true, that the universe is more than 6,000 years old and there might be other explanations for rainbows than as a sign of God’s covenant after the flood, the whole of humanity’s religious beliefs would come tumbling down like a house of cards and we would be left with a serene world of rational non-believers getting on famously with one another."

"I submit, for readers of The Spectator, because religion has social, cultural and political consequences, and you cannot expect the foundations of western civilisation to crumble and leave the rest of the building intact. That is what the greatest of all atheists, Nietzsche, understood with terrifying clarity and what his -latter-day successors fail to grasp at all."
Full article: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/06/atheism-has-failed-only-religion-can-fight-the-barbarians/
Original post by JasonGenova
Posted this in the atheism soc too, interested to read what you guys have to say about this article:

Chief Rabbi: atheism has failed. Only religion can defeat the new barbariansFull article: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/06/atheism-has-failed-only-religion-can-fight-the-barbarians/

This is probably better suited to the 'Ask a Christian' thread rather than this thread, which is a Chat thread :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending