The Student Room Group

What does standardise mean?

In the markscheme the answer to suggest why people who had not had stroke or heart attack where selected for this study

to (help) standardise health of sample group / eq

ORto (help) standardise risk of {CVD / stroke / heart attack / eq} in sample group /
eq

OR
I've looked up what standardise mean and it said
Evaluate by comparing with a standard

So does that mean that those selected are compared to someone who already had a stroke?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump.. Bump...bump!:smile:
Original post by Adorable98

To put it simply, 'standardise' just means to make the same. So to standardise the risk of CHD in the sample group means to make the risk of each participant getting CHD as level as possible - if some of the participants had experienced CHD in the past it is more likely that they will do again, so their relative risk would be higher than the other participants

To make it in clearer, in psychology we say, for example 'standardised procedure'. This means that, in a study, everything is done in a controlled manor, only one variable is changed at one time and the variables are always changed consistently. i.e. everything is done/kept the same so that other researchers can easily replicate the study and recreate the same conditions

Hope that makes sense :h:
Reply 3
Original post by rileystringer1
To put it simply, 'standardise' just means to make the same. So to standardise the risk of CHD in the sample group means to make the risk of each participant getting CHD as level as possible - if some of the participants had experienced CHD in the past it is more likely that they will do again, so their relative risk would be higher than the other participants

To make it in clearer, in psychology we say, for example 'standardised procedure'. This means that, in a study, everything is done in a controlled manor, only one variable is changed at one time and the variables are always changed consistently. i.e. everything is done/kept the same so that other researchers can easily replicate the study and recreate the same conditions

Hope that makes sense :h:

I see.. thanx!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending