The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Still would've been my second choice after Klopp.

Not sure where his career goes now. I feel like he can't do much more in Italy after the failed Inter Milan and half decent Napoli stints. He's done Valencia and attempted Real Madrid now in Spain. He's had Liverpool and a short spell at Chelsea in England. Can't see anyone in Germany or France appointing him.

Might be time he goes into international management? Shame really, I think he has an unfair reputation.

He would've thrived under FSG had he been able to survive H&G reign instead of that fraud Woy bloody Hodgson.

Benitez has always screamed 'international management' at me, anyway.

His defensive solidity, his pragmatism, his ability to carve out a result when all is lost. He would be great in an international tournament - but I'm unsure what the feeling is towards him in Spain, and whether they'd accept him.

Obviously, he's adored in Valencia, but what would the likes of Marca make of him managing Spain?

It says a lot that Benitez is questioned for his ability in Spain, really. If he was English, he'd have a knighthood by now. We have to make do with Hodgson, and probably Pardew next.
Original post by Mackay
Benitez has always screamed 'international management' at me, anyway.

His defensive solidity, his pragmatism, his ability to carve out a result when all is lost. He would be great in an international tournament - but I'm unsure what the feeling is towards him in Spain, and whether they'd accept him.

Obviously, he's adored in Valencia, but what would the likes of Marca make of him managing Spain?

It says a lot that Benitez is questioned for his ability in Spain, really. If he was English, he'd have a knighthood by now. We have to make do with Hodgson, and probably Pardew next.

I don't think Rafa would currently get the Spain job - the squad is still in good shape so plenty of managers will put their hat into the ring you imagine. Rafa's reputation with the biggest names isn't really there and with half the squad being Real Madrid, it won't go down well at the moment.

England would do well to appoint Rafa tbh. They've been crying out for a manager with a bit of intelligence and tactical awareness while he actually has some PL experience compared to someone like Capello.

England would do well to appoint Rafa tbh. They've been crying out for a manager with a bit of intelligence and tactical awareness while he actually has some PL experience compared to someone like Capello.

Unsure Rafa would take it, really. His relationship with the press in this country - outside of Merseyside - is probably worse than Mourinho's, you'd imagine.

Anyway, team for tonight? I'd be amazed if it wasn't Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Benteke.

I wouldn't mind seeing Allen, though, if I'm honest.
Original post by Mackay
Unsure Rafa would take it, really. His relationship with the press in this country - outside of Merseyside - is probably worse than Mourinho's, you'd imagine.

Anyway, team for tonight? I'd be amazed if it wasn't Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Sakho, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Benteke.

I wouldn't mind seeing Allen, though, if I'm honest.

Yea that's a good point. The media would be on his back from day one clamouring for a Pardew :rolleyes:

I think Milner might be back? Hard to disagree with that when most other players are injured. Firmino and Milner are the only options we have I think. The rest of the bench will be youth like in the last game.
The rest of the bench will be youth like in the last game.

Yeah, I'd expect the bench to be Bogdan, B. Smith, Brannagan OR Randall, Allen, Milner, Kent, Firmino.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, I'd expect the bench to be Bogdan, B. Smith, Brannagan OR Randall, Allen, Milner, Kent, Firmino.

Everyone seems pretty pessimistic about this game. I wonder if we'll have better success now that Stoke play a different style? I don't expect their front 3 to play so many direct balls.
Everyone seems pretty pessimistic about this game. I wonder if we'll have better success now that Stoke play a different style? I don't expect their front 3 to play so many direct balls.

If they arn't as direct and physical as West Ham then we will fare a bit better. We have to turn up ourselves though, would take a draw today.

We certainly don't like directness, so that could potentially play into our hands. I'm worried about our confidence being low, though, while Stoke's is at a season zenith.

It should be remembered that - while they have impressed - Mark Hughes' side have only scored 21 (one less than us) all season, but have made up for that by conceding the same amount.

Only Swansea and Villa have netted fewer.
Original post by samir12
If they arn't as direct and physical as West Ham then we will fare a bit better. We have to turn up ourselves though, would take a draw today.

Their front 3 now is Arnautovic, Shaqiri and Bojan. Also have Afellay there too. Only Arnautovic is above 6 ft. Expect pace and direct running rather than direct balls to a big man.

I'd take anything up to or better than a 1-0 loss (i.e. so long as we stay in the tie for the return leg..)

Original post by Mackay
We certainly don't like directness, so that could potentially play into our hands. I'm worried about our confidence being low, though, while Stoke's is at a season zenith.

It should be remembered that - while they have impressed - Mark Hughes' side have only scored 21 (one less than us) all season, but have made up for that by conceding the same amount.

Only Swansea and Villa have netted fewer.

I think we'll impose ourselves on the game so long as we don't concede in the first 20 minutes.

Interestingly I don't think we face a big strong target man until we play Everton at the end of February? I guess Norwich have a big lad and Man Utd may opt for Fellani..

I think we'll impose ourselves on the game so long as we don't concede in the first 20 minutes.

I think Klopp will definitely want this.

His Pokal record says it all:

2011-12: Winners
2012-13: QF
2013-14: Runners-up
2014-15: Runners-up
0-2 defeat tonight.

That said, I still I wanna see Ryan Kent play. He is our Mini-Reus.
Original post by Mackay
I think Klopp will definitely want this.

His Pokal record says it all:

2011-12: Winners
2012-13: QF
2013-14: Runners-up
2014-15: Runners-up

Well our side looks like it's lacking some confidence so what better way to improve other than win a trophy? We could draw the next 3 league cup games and come away as winners..

I managed to watch our last 2 losses but missed our 2 wins. Maybe I shouldn't watch tonight? :colondollar:
@Zerforax @Mackay

PSG/Lyon or one of the big German clubs (not Bayern) would be a pretty straight forward and plausible next move for Benitez imo.

As far as international teams go, he could go down the Hiddink route of looking for an obscure team or left field choice like Russia or Korea. He's got, at most, two more club jobs till he 'has' to look at international ones. I agree that Spain wouldn't be a good choice for him right now (or for the foreseeable duration of his career, to be honest).
Well our side looks like it's lacking some confidence so what better way to improve other than win a trophy? We could draw the next 3 league cup games and come away as winners..

I managed to watch our last 2 losses but missed our 2 wins. Maybe I shouldn't watch tonight? :colondollar:

Maybe you shouldn't! Ha.

I actually have more confidence tonight than if it was in the PL, to be honest.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
@Zerforax @Mackay

PSG/Lyon or one of the big German clubs (not Bayern) would be a pretty straight forward and plausible next move for Benitez imo.

As far as international teams go, he could go down the Hiddink route of looking for an obscure team or left field choice like Russia or Korea. He's got, at most, two more club jobs till he 'has' to look at international ones. I agree that Spain wouldn't be a good choice for him right now (or for the foreseeable duration of his career, to be honest).

PSG seem pretty happy with Laurent Blanc? I thought they would've sacked to try and appoint Mourinho (maybe they have tried).

I'm not sure Lyon is big enough to match Rafa's ambitions? I know they finished 2nd last season but it was probably an over achievement. They move into a new stadium soon which might affect their ability to compete in the transfer market too.

Dortmund will probably stick with Tuchel for a few years. Wolfsburg might be pretty good for him?

Atletico would probably suit Benitez but I'm not sure how they would take to him after Simeone..
Prediction:

Bogdan, Randall, Toure, Lovren, Smith, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Firmino, Teixiera, Benteke
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Prediction:

Bogdan, Randall, Toure, Lovren, Smith, Lucas, Allen, Lallana, Firmino, Teixiera, Benteke

For tonight? No chance..

I expect us to go full strength tonight and then play a side like that against Exeter on Friday.
Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino

Subs: Bogdan, Milner, Benteke, Brannagan, Ibe, Smith, Randall
Mignolet, Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino

EDIT: Damn.
Sakho injured.