The Student Room Group

Is feminism sexist?

Hear me out, this is the dictionary definition of sexist: prejudice or discrimination based on sex.
So if feminism is for the rights of ONLY women, does that make it sexist as their is a prejudice against the rights of men?

Scroll to see replies

The theory isn't but its proponents sometimes are.
Reply 2
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The theory isn't but its proponents sometimes are.

Part of my opinion is formed where I think that a lot of feminists are sexist, but the principal isn't. Wouldn't equalitist be a better word?
Original post by sw651
Part of my opinion is formed where I think that a lot of feminists are sexist, but the principal isn't. Wouldn't equalitist be a better word?

Idk, I'm one of those much derided people who think egalitarianism is a better idea than just looking out for a particular section of society. That's just me though. People are free to fight for whatever they hold most dear and I certainly don't blame anyone for only having the energy to fight against what affects them directly.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Idk, I'm one of those much derided people who think egalitarianism is a better idea than just looking out for a particular section of society. That's just me though. People are free to fight for whatever they hold most dear and I certainly don't blame anyone for only having the energy to fight against what affects them directly.

stop being sensible, we are online
not inherently, every feminist I know wants gender equality not gender superiority. It'd be like calling black rights movements racist for ignoring white people or other racial groups.
However, I do see how people could think it verges on having an agenda for the superiority of women. Feminists need to keep themselves in check from time to time
Feminism isn't sexist. It is topic specific. Feminists are equalists but are topic specific to females. The same way you can be a scientist but specific to biology.
Reply 7
Original post by picklescamp
not inherently, every feminist I know wants gender equality not gender superiority. It'd be like calling black rights movements racist for ignoring white people or other racial groups.
However, I do see how people could think it verges on having an agenda for the superiority of women. Feminists need to keep themselves in check from time to time

I think the issue is the majority of leading feminists are a bit extreme. Look at the likes of Anita Sarkeesian
Reply 8
Original post by allycollett
Feminism isn't sexist. It is topic specific. Feminists are equalists but are topic specific to females. The same way you can be a scientist but specific to biology.

But would it not be more fair to say equalitist.
Original post by sw651
Hear me out, this is the dictionary definition of sexist: prejudice or discrimination based on sex.
So if feminism is for the rights of ONLY women, does that make it sexist as their is a prejudice against the rights of men?

Proper feminism is not. The seemingly modern radicalisation of it can be percieved, validly, as sexist.

Feminism seeks gender equality, not female equality. Men had the rights women did not. That's why it's called feminism because it is a fight to progress the rights of women in the name of gender equality. It doesn't, however, try and crush the rights of men.
Original post by sw651
But would it not be more fair to say equalitist.

Perhaps but that's just pedantic. The actual purpose of the group is what matters when asking this question.
Sure it would, but how can you distinguish between equalists if no one is topic specific? It's like the BlackLivesMatter campaign, it would be fairer to say AllLivesMatter but that wasn't the topic of the campaign
Reply 12
Original post by ivybridge
Proper feminism is not. The seemingly modern radicalisation of it can be percieved, validly, as sexist.

Feminism seeks gender equality, not female equality. Men had the rights women did not. That's why it's called feminism because it is a fight to progress the rights of women in the name of gender equality. It doesn't, however, try and crush the rights of men.

The bold text I quoted it what I feel is the problem with a lot of modern feminism. I want the old feminism back, where we want equal rights for everyone.
Original post by sw651
The bold text I quoted it what I feel is the problem with a lot of modern feminism. I want the old feminism back, where we want equal rights for everyone.

I agree and thank God you recognise the difference.
Reply 14
Original post by ivybridge
Perhaps but that's just pedantic. The actual purpose of the group is what matters when asking this question.

The fact that feminism seems to have two factions is the issue. We have the radical feminist who shouldn't really be called a feminist. And we have the moderate feminist who wants equal rights.
Original post by sw651
The fact that feminism seems to have two factions is the issue. We have the radical feminist who shouldn't really be called a feminist. And we have the moderate feminist who wants equal rights.

I wouldn't even say it has two factions. I'd say its feminist and radical feminist. There shouldn't be 'radical' and 'moderate'. One is feminism and the other is something different.
Original post by sw651

No, it's pushing for equality. The fact that women are generally more disadvantaged in society than men means their aim is on empowering women. Calling the majority of feminists "sexist" is as absurd as calling the US civil rights movement "racist". It doesn't mean they're trying to achieve superiority for women, nor does it mean they only care about the rights of women. Of course you will get nutcases who act in contrast to this but they're not in the majority.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sw651
I think the issue is the majority of leading feminists are a bit extreme. Look at the likes of Anita Sarkeesian

I don't think the majority of feminists are a bit extreme, but there's such a spectrum I understand that there are definitely extreme ones.
Most want gender equality in my experience.
Reply 18
Original post by allycollett
Sure it would, but how can you distinguish between equalists if no one is topic specific? It's like the BlackLivesMatter campaign, it would be fairer to say AllLivesMatter but that wasn't the topic of the campaign

Very true
Reply 19
Original post by picklescamp
I don't think the majority of feminists are a bit extreme, but there's such a spectrum I understand that there are definitely extreme ones.
Most want gender equality in my experience.

I said leading feminists, the main majority are for equality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending