The Student Room Group

Drama and theatre studies applicants 2016 entry!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PAStudent1996
I've got so many questions, most that I know will go unanswered here... but it's worth a shot.

Can anyone tell me anything about the audition process for American Theatre Arts at Rose Bruford?

Also, I see a lot of people only applying for 5 or 6, I've been told to go for 10. What do people think of this? I'm currently applying for 7 Drama Schools and 1 University.

It's completely up to you how many you apply for! I'm applying for 2 drama schools and 5 universities, simply because I cannot afford to live in London, yet being an actor for a living is the way I want to live my life. So yeah I think everyone has their own reasons for the amount of drama schools they apply for :smile: good luck!
Anyone got an Arden audition tomorrow?
This question has been on my mind for a while, so I thought I'd ask it here. Would it be perfectly acceptable to work a part-time job while at university/drama school?

I'm currently looking for scholarships/loans/jobs to help provide for drama school, and I know that when I get there I will have to use the bulk of funds for school fees, living arrangements, and other necessities. I just hope that if I do end up working part-time in England it won't affect my studies.

Anyone else in this same boat as I am?
Original post by cytja_0288
This question has been on my mind for a while, so I thought I'd ask it here. Would it be perfectly acceptable to work a part-time job while at university/drama school?

I'm currently looking for scholarships/loans/jobs to help provide for drama school, and I know that when I get there I will have to use the bulk of funds for school fees, living arrangements, and other necessities. I just hope that if I do end up working part-time in England it won't affect my studies.

Almost everyone I know works part time at drama school / university. I will have to also if I get accepted.
Reply 304
Original post by Samrivers
Almost everyone I know works part time at drama school / university. I will have to also if I get accepted.

I'm with you. Looking for a job right this moment, actually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Samrivers

Original post by BruB
I'm with you. Looking for a job right this moment, actually.

I've heard stories of students working in class from 9am - 11pm though at some of the top drama schools? I'd've thought it depends largely on where you end up going, what their schedule is like and how they accommodate (or don't) students doing part time work.
Reply 306
Original post by streether
I've heard stories of students working in class from 9am - 11pm though at some of the top drama schools? I'd've thought it depends largely on where you end up going, what their schedule is like and how they accommodate (or don't) students doing part time work.

True. I'll just work until I get in, I think, to try and save enough to at least help with expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm a drama school applicant and I auditioned last year, but it wasn't the right time or place for me to go! I'm looking for a couple of contemporary monologues and I'm struggling, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm auditioning for MT at Chichester, Trinity and Central and World Perf at East 15, and if anyone is doing something similar and needs advice for songs or something just shout!! Thanks x
Hey all! Was wondering if anyone had any advice for when the motivation just isn't there?
I've been applying to schools a few years now....few final rounds....few waiting lists, but never the final place! I have some auditons coming up and the motivation just isn't there - I want to do well and give myself a great chance but the minute I sit down to learn a monologue- zap- It's all gone.

Please don't anyone reply with "you must not want it enough" that's not helpful, or nice. I'm motivated in other areas like trying to find acting jobs and learning lines - but the whole drama school process is getting me down! would appreciate some tips on how to beat the blues!

X
Original post by sophi94
Hey all! Was wondering if anyone had any advice for when the motivation just isn't there?
I've been applying to schools a few years now....few final rounds....few waiting lists, but never the final place! I have some auditons coming up and the motivation just isn't there - I want to do well and give myself a great chance but the minute I sit down to learn a monologue- zap- It's all gone.

Please don't anyone reply with "you must not want it enough" that's not helpful, or nice. I'm motivated in other areas like trying to find acting jobs and learning lines - but the whole drama school process is getting me down! would appreciate some tips on how to beat the blues!

X

It's all in your mind, some of the most successful people made it because they didn't give up!
image.jpeg
Original post by sophi94

X

Wow as a first year auditionee you scared the s**t out of me with your first few sentences :P What is it exactly? The fear of not getting in again or that you can't learn your lines so they come out naturally ? Unless you're not sure you like the monologues you picked...

I believe the way you should think of it is that you will go there and show them that you've grown and that you've learned from your previous experiences and that you want this more than ever. Be real, take risks and be open to suggestion/redirection (please don't think im trying to play smart - I'm hell scared but I'm trying to keep positive thoughts)
Reply 311
Original post by sophi94

X

I have the same problem, actually. For me, the trick is to learn the lines inside and out without rehearsing or anything. I do my research and character analysis, all of that, but I only really get up and rehearse the day or two before the audition. That way, when it's actually happening, it feels exhilarating rather than old.

Now, if the problem is with learning lines specifically, what I would do is go to wherever you do that best, leave anything that can possibly distract you outside that area, and force yourself to start because after that's done the rest should follow. I learn lines by writing them down repeatedly and writing the emotions to every thought in between, you probably do it some other way. No matter your technique, getting started is usually the hardest part when you're blocked like that. Another thing that helps me is to think of the audition as just a chance to act. That's what you want to do, there's an audience who wants to listen, just act because you love it as you would if you were onstage or in front of a camera. Those are some of the things that help me, I hope they can do the same for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha that picture is amazing Samrivers

I can't do quotes! But thank you all for the advice -thanostsar don't worry about being a first time auditonee I know loads of great people who have got in first time round! Plus I only got into acting at the age of 17, so I didn't have much experience! And ooh that's a good tip with the lines, I'll give that a try BruB :smile:
I don't know if this is harder for me to say, or harder to hear...

Due to the difficult circumstances at home and lack of funds and employment, I won't be able to apply for entry this year. It crushes me because I had my heart set on it this year, but the need for a job to help provide the finances and savings for graduate school is a must for me.

I've enjoyed talking to all of you and seeing your messages about the application/audition process, and I hope you will do well wherever you end up!
I don't know if this is harder for me to say, or harder to hear...

Due to the difficult circumstances at home and lack of funds and employment, I won't be able to apply for entry this year. It crushes me because I had my heart set on it this year, but the need for a job to help provide the finances and savings for graduate school is a must for me.

I've enjoyed talking to all of you and seeing your messages about the application/audition process, and I hope you will do well wherever you end up!

Hi there, I was in a very similar situation last year. I'm based in New Zealand but would like to go to drama school in the UK. I wanted to audition last year, but I couldn't even afford the trip. I only managed to audition for Central because they came to Sydney so the flight was a bit more manageable for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get in. However, I just kept working and saved enough to go audition this year.

Good luck to you and hopefully you will be back in the game next year!
Original post by sophi94

X

Just remember that drama school is not the only way into the industry. Remember that drama school entry is based on far more than whether or not you're the best they've seen. Do you match what they need for the shows they have planned? Do they already have enough people like you that they liked? Rejection is not necessarily personal to you or your talent. It could be, but quite possibly not. Remember that all you can do is go in there, give it your best, and then it's out of your control, so focus on getting into the industry while you wait for the result. It could be drama school just won't happen for you - not because you're not talented, just because you don't fit what any of them want. In that case, be ferocious on pursuing opportunities elsewhere. Create your own work. Create a network of contacts with other actors, producers, directors, writers. Take opportunities doing small plays and films, and work your way up. And if you get into drama school anyway, then jackpot :wink:
Original post by James Ragen
Hey XElizzaX Sorry to jump in on this thread My name is James and i am currently in my second year at university (BA Acting).

Thanks for your posts and also everyone else :smile:)))

I am just curious in what your thoughts are on studying furthermore after a BA, especially when we run out of funding on our 5th year?

See i am auditioning for year 2016 (so like now) as i don't want to continue training at uni for my last year. I have auditioned before and funny enough last year i was on a waiting list for East 15, and some other auditions were alright too, but of course, not good enough

Like yourself, having come from a uni institution, then heading to a drama school to study for another 2 years or so, it is financially draining right?I would leave uni at 2nd year to go and start a three ba acting course at a school (that is unless i change my mind due to financial reasons and do a 2 year course instead which only some schools do). just would love to hear your thoughts

Thank you again.

James

Hi, may I ask, where do you study? And are you not satisfied with it? Is there a big difference between studying acting at a uni and at a drama school?

By the way, I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about BA Acting programmes at universities, e.g. Arts University Bournemouth, Northampton etc. thanks x
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knows when the last ish audition days are- as I keep putting off payment for Central/Rose Bruford to give myself enough time to prep????
Original post by terri5999
Hey all,
Just wondering if anyone knows when the last ish audition days are- as I keep putting off payment for Central/Rose Bruford to give myself enough time to prep????

Considering both of those are through UCAS it's hard to tell, not sure of the last 'audition days'. I'd expect you'd get an audition 3 weeks to 2 months from the date of your application. February - April are prime time for first round auditions for most.
Fellow auditionees I need your help and opinion !

I plan to send my applications tomorrow. I am from another EU country and will have to travel to London for the auditions. It would be desirable (and cost effective) to have all of the first round auditions spread over a two week time. How can I avoid the risk of having some audition dates overlapping ? Do I contact the schools straight after I submit my applications and ask for specific dates ? Because they might take some time to inform me back about my audition date as well as give me some time notice for the actual audition...Anyone facing the same problem ? Please help !
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending