The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Three wickets in four overs is good reason for excitement. Need to skittle out the tail now, though. Stokes is clearly trying to take the 'rough' route to Bavuma. He's firing bouncer after bouncer.

Yup, I was definitely giddy after Amla and FDP went, but I think reasonably the only route to a win was by being back in at tea, which is now clearly not going to happen. I think this 50 partnership has nailed the draw even further in.
Reckon SA should have a go here. If they can get close to England's score and then declare. With England out in the field for 200 overs and a well rested bowling attack there's potential for an England collapse.

Not saying it would definitely happen, especially on this road, but in my opinion they've got nothing to lose.
Reply 442
Original post by The Wavefunction
Reckon SA should have a go here. If they can get close to England's score and then declare. With England out in the field for 200 overs and a well rested bowling attack there's potential for an England collapse.

Not saying it would definitely happen, especially on this road, but in my opinion they've got nothing to lose.

Depends if they're brave enough having lost the first Test. I agree, they definitely should and I'd love to be in the crowd if that happens (Newlands looks a remarkable place to watch cricket), but they are a team under pressure and would surely rather a draw than another defeat, which could be easily avoided.
Original post by Mackay
Depends if they're brave enough having lost the first Test. I agree, they definitely should and I'd love to be in the crowd if that happens (Newlands looks a remarkable place to watch cricket), but they are a team under pressure and would surely rather a draw than another defeat, which could be easily avoided.

I don't think the defeat for SA is on the cards anymore. Cook will just shut up shop when they go in. There's no way on earth he'll just say "go out and score a quick 220 so we can have 40 overs at them tomorrow."

Newland's is a beautiful place. Can't wait to go there one day! My brother is going there on a rugby tour in June and he's been winding me up all through this test.

Also, how aesthetically pleasing is Bavuma's stroke making? Even his forward defence looks superb.
Reply 444

Also, how aesthetically pleasing is Bavuma's stroke making? Even his forward defence looks superb.

He drives through the off-side so, so well. But, the most pleasing shot he has played all day is that swivel to pummel Stokes away for four on the leg-side. He's a very pleasing batsman to watch, and you imagine he's a coach's dream.
Morris was chosen because 'he could bat a bit' so at least he has proven this.

Amla :adore:

Don't think there's much of a chance of a SA win despite the odds slashing down to 15/1 or whatever it is now. We're about 20 overs from stumps on day 4, so SA will have to really start hitting it to get a substantial lead. If there is any sort of resistance likeable to Amla's or Stokes's (if you can call Stokes's knock "resistance") I fear they won't have enough time to make up the deficit when they bat again. If SA are any less than 100 ahead by the time Cook comes out again then I doubt SA will make it up unless they start smashing it, get skittled and end up 99/9 and win by one wicket. Though I doubt England's total will be very impressive if we do get bowled out tomorrow.
Well it will be a draw now.
Original post by Zerforax
Well it will be a draw now.

The more the teams shuffle toward equality the more I fear a potential loss. Cook's now got to do everything he can to halt the run rate without bringing our innings closer. Though as said I think it's unlikely we'll lose as I think we'll have enough to hold them off before they start chasing, I think it's also clear that SA will be bowling tomorrow morning. Amla must fancy something here, especially at 1-0 down.
This innings is proof of catches win matches

Posted from TSR Mobile
18 overs left. 108 dot balls please lads. Cheers
Original post by rockrunride
The more the teams shuffle toward equality the more I fear a potential loss. Cook's now got to do everything he can to halt the run rate without bringing our innings closer. Though as said I think it's unlikely we'll lose as I think we'll have enough to hold them off before they start chasing, I think it's also clear that SA will be bowling tomorrow morning. Amla must fancy something here, especially at 1-0 down.

You really think SA can take 10 wickets in 3 sessions and get the runs needed to chase down the lead?

Is the pitch even doing that much?
Don't think there's much of a chance of a SA win despite the odds slashing down to 15/1 or whatever it is now. We're about 20 overs from stumps on day 4, so SA will have to really start hitting it to get a substantial lead. If there is any sort of resistance likeable to Amla's or Stokes's (if you can call Stokes's knock "resistance":wink: I fear they won't have enough time to make up the deficit when they bat again. If SA are any less than 100 ahead by the time Cook comes out again then I doubt SA will make it up unless they start smashing it, get skittled and end up 99/9 and win by one wicket. Though I doubt England's total will be very impressive if we do get bowled out tomorrow.

My thinking was more of a radical declare when still 30 or so behind. Skittle England out for <180 and then chase down 210. Too late for that now, but I think maybe a McCullum type captain would have considered it.
My thinking was more of a radical declare when still 30 or so behind. Skittle England out for <180 and then chase down 210. Too late for that now, but I think maybe a McCullum type captain would have considered it.

I think they'll declare at stumps whatever the score, perhaps before if a wicket falls [one just has] or they get 50 or so in front. They have to now. They've already started smacking it.

We just need to survive.

You really think SA can take 10 wickets in 3 sessions and get the runs needed to chase down the lead?

Is the pitch even doing that much?

Don't think so, but they might bring us in before stumps, in which case they have more than three sessions. Unlikely but still possible enough to fear it.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think they'll declare at stumps whatever the score, perhaps before if a wicket falls [one just has] or they get 50 or so in front. They have to now. They've already started smacking it.

We just need to survive.

Don't think so, but they might bring us in before stumps, in which case they have more than three sessions. Unlikely but still possible enough to fear it.

Still impressed they managed to chase down such a huge score.
Still impressed they managed to chase down such a huge score.

Massively so. A draw is by far the fairest result here, I think SA deserve the win slightly more though.
Cook should bring himself on. Man's got solid bowling average iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Massively so. A draw is by far the fairest result here, I think SA deserve the win slightly more though.

Interesting to see if all of the time in the field has tired England out.

10 overs left which probably means not enough time for a switch over even if SA declared now?
Original post by Angry cucumber
Cook should bring himself on. Man's got solid bowling average iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile

That ball to Ishant Sharma :lol:

10 overs left which probably means not enough time for a switch over even if SA declared now?

They've just done it. Game on.

They should have a couple overs at them today.

Massive congratulations to Temba Bavuma!

Quick Reply

Latest