The Student Room Group

Teach First or PGCE

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone was considering these 2 options. If so, which option do you prefer and why?

Any advice welcome from those that are on/have already done one of the above too.

Thanks
Original post by Nightwing_
Hi,

I just wondered if anyone was considering these 2 options. If so, which option do you prefer and why?

Any advice welcome from those that are on/have already done one of the above too.

Thanks

Try the PGCE forum- plenty of NQTs and current PGCEers in there
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Try the PGCE forum- plenty of NQTs and current PGCEers in there

Thanks for the response, though I kind of wanted to hear specifically from people who were considering both options, the pgce page mainly seems to be those who never really considered Teach First.
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks

Hiya, I am in the same position. I have offers from both but am really struggling to make up my mind, so I'd be really grateful for any opinions from people who have already done them!
Reply 4
Original post by alice1812
Hiya, I am in the same position. I have offers from both but am really struggling to make up my mind, so I'd be really grateful for any opinions from people who have already done them!

Hey, I was under the impression that you couldn't apply for bot in the same year, is this wrong then? I have an AC for Teach First, but have kind of had a bit of a last minute panic as to whether a PGCE could be better maybe. But I have no idea really, My partner has done a PGCE, but not having done Teach First she can't really help too much. Also I'm interested in the Leadership Development part, which I don't think you would get through the conventional pathway.

In some sense I like the idea of being thrown in at the deep end, but then not having taught before I could be seriously underestimating it!!

Also I can't be based in London where a lot of placements seem to be taking place, I just wondered if others that have done Teach First outside of London felt they had the same level of support, or if they felt somewhat isolated?
Reply 5
Hey, I was under the impression that you couldn't apply for bot in the same year, is this wrong then? I have an AC for Teach First, but have kind of had a bit of a last minute panic as to whether a PGCE could be better maybe. But I have no idea really, My partner has done a PGCE, but not having done Teach First she can't really help too much. Also I'm interested in the Leadership Development part, which I don't think you would get through the conventional pathway.

In some sense I like the idea of being thrown in at the deep end, but then not having taught before I could be seriously underestimating it!!

Also I can't be based in London where a lot of placements seem to be taking place, I just wondered if others that have done Teach First outside of London felt they had the same level of support, or if they felt somewhat isolated?

Well done on getting the AC :smile:

I think Teach First don't want you to apply to PGCE, but I haven't had a problem doing so - I wanted to keep my options open, so if you're unsure I'd say just fill out a UCAS :smile:

I think the LDP sounds great, but from the people I know doing Teach First, lots of people don't actually complete the original 6 weeks training - as the demand causes them to drop out, a statistic that TF skim over.

I feel really conflicted, although I will say, I don't think being placed outside London would be too much of a problem. I asked for NE and they were positive that would be ok. I feel also, that it's probably hard to get a good objective opinion, as people will have either done one or the other :|
Reply 6
Well done on getting the AC :smile:

I think Teach First don't want you to apply to PGCE, but I haven't had a problem doing so - I wanted to keep my options open, so if you're unsure I'd say just fill out a UCAS :smile:

I think the LDP sounds great, but from the people I know doing Teach First, lots of people don't actually complete the original 6 weeks training - as the demand causes them to drop out, a statistic that TF skim over.

I feel really conflicted, although I will say, I don't think being placed outside London would be too much of a problem. I asked for NE and they were positive that would be ok. I feel also, that it's probably hard to get a good objective opinion, as people will have either done one or the other :|

Cheers, good advice there. I didn't even realise you could drop out of the 6 weeks training and still continue with the teaching part. Interesting to know. Cheers.
Reply 7
Cheers, good advice there. I didn't even realise you could drop out of the 6 weeks training and still continue with the teaching part. Interesting to know. Cheers.

Sorry I think I've worded that really badly. They drop out of the six week training and do not go into the teaching part - essentially putting them back to square 1 - needing to reapply for the following year if they still want to teach. TF's figure of about 50% of our teachers are still teaching after 5 years, is taken only from the number that completes the training, not counting those that drop out! Super good luck!
Reply 8
Sorry I think I've worded that really badly. They drop out of the six week training and do not go into the teaching part - essentially putting them back to square 1 - needing to reapply for the following year if they still want to teach. TF's figure of about 50% of our teachers are still teaching after 5 years, is taken only from the number that completes the training, not counting those that drop out! Super good luck!

Ah right, sorry, yeah I guess that makes more sense!! Hmmm, doesn't seem great really does it.
Reply 9

Hi, I was wondering which offer you decide to accept in the end?

I have offers through UCAS and I have an Assessment Day invitation from Teach First. TF say you can't have accepted offers when applying to TF and if they find out, they will withdraw the application/ rescind any offers. So, I haven't accepted any UCAS offers yet but I know I will have to by the time I have my TF interview...
(edited 8 years ago)
It's a tough choice! I didn't avtually apply for a PGCE this year. I'm going to go to the assesment centre and if I get on I think I'll go with that rather than a PGCE, just because it would be able to start this year. I also have a couple of other options outside of teaching I'm considering, so ill have to see how they go!!
Reply 11
It's a tough choice! I didn't avtually apply for a PGCE this year. I'm going to go to the assesment centre and if I get on I think I'll go with that rather than a PGCE, just because it would be able to start this year. I also have a couple of other options outside of teaching I'm considering, so ill have to see how they go!!

Good luck with the Assessment Centre! What are your subject and location preferences?

If you apply for a PGCE, the courses start this year too (in September/October).
Original post by znh
Good luck with the Assessment Centre! What are your subject and location preferences?

If you apply for a PGCE, the courses start this year too (in September/October).

Science, southwest, how about you? Oh yeah, had just kind of assumed they'd be booking up by now!
Reply 13
Science, southwest, how about you? Oh yeah, had just kind of assumed they'd be booking up by now!

Primary, North East! There's still quite a lot of places left! Hopefully you'll get TF and not have to apply through UCAS :smile:.
What a levels r suitable

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Habina786xx
What a levels r suitable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, here's the information from the Teach First website about their subject requirements:

http://graduates.teachfirst.org.uk/application-selection/requirements/teaching-subject-requirements

Hope that helps!
Original post by AsandaLFC
How old are you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just wondered why this might change anything?
Reply 18

Hi, I was wondering what you chose in the end as I am in the same position!

Quick Reply