The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Just heard from Sheffield and I have an interview for next Tuesday! They are my only choice and seem perfect for me so hopefully it will go well! Whatever the outcome, I'm glad I'm getting along in the process!
Reply 221
Gosh, that's not much notice! Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it xx
Original post by Jo-sie
Gosh, that's not much notice! Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it xx

It isn't really, but I didn't send my application until just before Christmas and honestly I'm glad for less waiting and stressing haha! Thank you!
Original post by RowanB
Just heard from Sheffield and I have an interview for next Tuesday! They are my only choice and seem perfect for me so hopefully it will go well! Whatever the outcome, I'm glad I'm getting along in the process!

Hey, congratulations! I sent mine just before Christmas as well and I've got an interview for the Monday after (18th). I'm really scared though, have you got any idea on what to expect?
Original post by Sukirtha
Hey, congratulations! I sent mine just before Christmas as well and I've got an interview for the Monday after (18th). I'm really scared though, have you got any idea on what to expect?

Congratulations to you too! =D I really havn't! I'm nervous haha!
Original post by minhayashi
Hi all, any international students here? Been lurking around here for a while :smile:
I am from Singapore, but I hold an American high school diploma, and I took SAT I and II. Now I'm awaiting my SAT II results.
I visited UK a month ago and checked out quite a few schools. I'm thinking of applying to Sheffield, Reading, and Newcastle - I really like Sheffield's and Reading's environment, but didn't get to see Newcastle... I'm feeling quite worried because I don't know what my chances are :/
I do have some experience - I've been working with children, some with special needs, as a teacher-aide for the past 1.5 years (I graduated from high school early hence started working for a bit), and have also shadowed a few speech therapists.
I'm going for the Jan 15 deadline. Was wondering if there's anyone here in a similar situation! Trying not to let the anxiety get to me!

Hey, I'm international too. I'm from India but I'm doing my a levels in the UK now. I have applied to Sheffield, Reading, Newcastle, City and DMU. These are the only 5 that allow internationals on the course so there isn't much choice. I've got an interview for Sheffield coming up. Try to get your application in as soon as possible and good luck! And Newcastle is lovely by the way :smile:

I'm so excited/nervous too (mine is not on this date though)
I just hope other people kind of are too, and there's not loads of overly confident interview experts there, lol. Apparently they could ask something completely unrelated SLT too so I guess you can never really truly prepare completely. The only thing I can guess is issues such as someone's relative/spouse not wanting them to have treatment and how you would deal with this. Or budget cuts on the NHS is a massive issue ...but I'm not sure how I would personally deal with this, as I do think it's completely bad, but I have no idea where they could cut more funding from instead .....as I am not exactly very well versed on politics.
Original post by Galaxies
I'm so excited/nervous too (mine is not on this date though)
I just hope other people kind of are too, and there's not loads of overly confident interview experts there, lol. Apparently they could ask something completely unrelated SLT too so I guess you can never really truly prepare completely. The only thing I can guess is issues such as someone's relative/spouse not wanting them to have treatment and how you would deal with this. Or budget cuts on the NHS is a massive issue ...but I'm not sure how I would personally deal with this, as I do think it's completely bad, but I have no idea where they could cut more funding from instead .....as I am not exactly very well versed on politics.

Oh wow, those are hard questions. I was thinking more like 'Why SLT?' 😂
Hi again everyone, I hope all your interviews and offers are going well! Well done to people getting interview invites through! If anyone has any questions about UoM and SLT course in general then I am happy to answer! I am currently in my second year. Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gscott10
Hi again everyone, I hope all your interviews and offers are going well! Well done to people getting interview invites through! If anyone has any questions about UoM and SLT course in general then I am happy to answer! I am currently in my second year. Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I was wondering if you have any advice on how to prepare for an interview?

Thank you! :smile:
Does anybody know how many places Cardiff Met , Leeds Beckett and MMU have to offer for 2016 entry?
Oh wow, those are hard questions. I was thinking more like 'Why SLT?' 😂

Don't worry I don't think they will expect us to know about politics, or hopefully anyway, it has nothing to do with what I am studying ATM.
Hi,

I am currently in my final year at uni of Leeds doing English, Language and Education, I am graduating in June/July and have applied to do Speech and Language Therapy at MMU, UoM, Leeds Beckett and UoSheffield. I have received interviews from all of my choices but unfortunately was unsuccessful in my interview at MMU. I have been racking my brains as to why and trying to work out if I maybe said something wrong or didn't mention something they were looking for. I felt like both parts of the interview went really well, so I'm stumped.

My first choice is Leeds Beckett and I have my interview there on the 18th of this month, so I was just wondering if anybody had any advice for this interview! I really want to go here as I live in Leeds and love the uni so really can't afford to mess it up. Any comments here would be really helpful!
Hi :smile:
I was wondering if there were any books about SLT that anyone would recommend?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by lottieviolet
Hi,

I am currently in my final year at uni of Leeds doing English, Language and Education, I am graduating in June/July and have applied to do Speech and Language Therapy at MMU, UoM, Leeds Beckett and UoSheffield. I have received interviews from all of my choices but unfortunately was unsuccessful in my interview at MMU. I have been racking my brains as to why and trying to work out if I maybe said something wrong or didn't mention something they were looking for. I felt like both parts of the interview went really well, so I'm stumped.

My first choice is Leeds Beckett and I have my interview there on the 18th of this month, so I was just wondering if anybody had any advice for this interview! I really want to go here as I live in Leeds and love the uni so really can't afford to mess it up. Any comments here would be really helpful!

idk this is what I'm scared of at all interviews. But maybe it was just one of those random things where they just had to cut people out for completely no reason. I wonder if you get more priority if you live in the area though? At least you got an interview there so you must have been good enough for them. Honestly I loved MMU too (yet to have my interview) but they want even higher grades (for access students) than the red brick/rg universities!!! I think you can ask for feedback eventually but I'd kind of be a bit angry if they had none whatsoever, or nothing that sounded logical anyway.
I think in my leeds interview I have to write a piece of writing and meet service users. Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, I know when I am it makes it worse so I'm just trying to think of them as an experience in my life rather than some major thing.
Original post by Becky.May
Hi :smile:
I was wondering if there were any books about SLT that anyone would recommend?
Thank you :smile:

"A Career in Speech therapy" (Wright & Kersner) it can be expensive-ish on Amazon but you could order it from a library. It's the most comprehensive and simple one for applying and giving an idea of everything in the job that they will probably expect you to know in interview.
I read it a while ago and now I've forgotten it ...so having to go over it ASAP!!!!!
Original post by Galaxies
"A Career in Speech therapy" (Wright & Kersner) it can be expensive-ish on Amazon but you could order it from a library. It's the most comprehensive and simple one for applying and giving an idea of everything in the job that they will probably expect you to know in interview.
I read it a while ago and now I've forgotten it ...so having to go over it ASAP!!!!!

Thank you so much! I will see if I can get hold of that book ASAP too!
Becky :smile:
Reply 237
Has anyone had an interview at Leeds Beckett or have an interview I've not heard from them yet and applied just before Christmas
Hey, I'm international too. I'm from India but I'm doing my a levels in the UK now. I have applied to Sheffield, Reading, Newcastle, City and DMU. These are the only 5 that allow internationals on the course so there isn't much choice. I've got an interview for Sheffield coming up. Try to get your application in as soon as possible and good luck! And Newcastle is lovely by the way :smile:

Hi! Thanks for replying. I sent in my application on Jan 4! I applied to Sheffield, Reading, Newcastle, and City University London. How long did they take to get back to you? All the best for your interview!
Original post by minhayashi
Hi! Thanks for replying. I sent in my application on Jan 4! I applied to Sheffield, Reading, Newcastle, and City University London. How long did they take to get back to you? All the best for your interview!

Thanks :smile: Well, I sent mine just before Christmas and Sheffield replied with the interview on 5th Jan and on 8th I revieved a questionnaire from Reading. I haven't had any other replies. I think it's because the process for international applicants is probably different 😕

Quick Reply

Latest