The Student Room Group

Science degree for Engineering?

Hello,

I'm currently doing engineering but I'm stuck in a position where a science degree (geology or computer science) is much more suited to me and all my credits will transfer.

Can I go complete BSc Geology, then do MSc Petroleum Engineering?

I know that the universities accept Geology majors, but can I actually do a job with the above? I heard something like "professional engineer" in the US or "chartered engineer" in the UK which only allow Bachelors in Engineering.

Will going that route hurt me in any way?
As a separate question: Will Computer Science also allow me to go that route?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by PineappleThief
Hello,

I'm currently doing engineering but I'm stuck in a position where a science degree (geology or computer science) is much more suited to me and all my credits will transfer.

Can I go complete BSc Geology, then do MSc Petroleum Engineering?

I know that the universities accept Geology majors, but can I actually do a job with the above? I heard something like "professional engineer" in the US or "chartered engineer" in the UK which only allow Bachelors in Engineering.

Will going that route hurt me in any way?
As a separate question: Will Computer Science also allow me to go that route?

Thanks!

You're better off doing whatever course you're on at the moment if it's accredited by the appropriate institutions. Also you can probably switch if you're in your first year but you won't be recognised by any institutes obviously... because you did Geology... If you're more interested in Geology though by all means go for it and I wouldn't imagine it affecting your chances for petroleum engineering, I will say that you'd probably have a better chance having a BEng in Mechanical or Chemical though, since they're accredited and you'll probably have quite a big project in your 3rd year that will be useful for your MSc is you pick it correctly.

Why do you want to do Computer Science and then an MSc in Petroleum Engineering? You'll have to email the universities you're interested in and find out. You'd almost definitely be at a slight disadvantage though, it's completely unrelated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sae.HH
You're better off doing whatever course you're on at the moment if it's accredited by the appropriate institutions. Also you can probably switch if you're in your first year but you won't be recognised by any institutes obviously... because you did Geology... If you're more interested in Geology though by all means go for it and I wouldn't imagine it affecting your chances for petroleum engineering, I will say that you'd probably have a better chance having a BEng in Mechanical or Chemical though, since they're accredited and you'll probably have quite a big project in your 3rd year that will be useful for your MSc is you pick it correctly.

Why do you want to do Computer Science and then an MSc in Petroleum Engineering? You'll have to email the universities you're interested in and find out. You'd almost definitely be at a slight disadvantage though, it's completely unrelated.

Thanks for the reply. I actually study in Australia, I can transfer completely to Science degrees without losing credits. Reasons.. I can graduate 2.5 years earlier! (I have already wasted time) + I get much better GPA.

The thing is, the Universities state they accept "relevant" degrees, Imperial even accepts Economics for Petroleum Engineering.

But will I get caught up later on in career due to no bachelors in engineering (hence no accreditation)? That is the question
Reply 3
Original post by PineappleThief
Thanks for the reply. I actually study in Australia, I can transfer completely to Science degrees without losing credits. Reasons.. I can graduate 2.5 years earlier! (I have already wasted time) + I get much better GPA.

The thing is, the Universities state they accept "relevant" degrees, Imperial even accepts Economics for Petroleum Engineering.

But will I get caught up later on in career due to no bachelors in engineering (hence no accreditation)? That is the question

If you want to go into the Petroleum industry it won't hold you back, if you suddenly decide you want be a Mechanical of Chemical Engineer you won't be able to enter those fields. It's that simple! So pick wisely, just do what you feel passionate about and you'll be alright, don't think about Petroleum right now, 2 years ago I wanted to do Civil Engineering, now I'm doing Electronics with the hope of working on defence technology or research. You WILL change your mind about the MSc, that's almost a fact, the more you learn the more you'll realise. :smile:
Original post by Sae.HH
If you want to go into the Petroleum industry it won't hold you back, if you suddenly decide you want be a Mechanical of Chemical Engineer you won't be able to enter those fields. It's that simple! So pick wisely, just do what you feel passionate about and you'll be alright, don't think about Petroleum right now, 2 years ago I wanted to do Civil Engineering, now I'm doing Electronics with the hope of working on defence technology or research. You WILL change your mind about the MSc, that's almost a fact, the more you learn the more you'll realise. :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty set on this, I have already passed through that mind game phase! I will be graduating this year with Geology OR 2.5 years after for Engineering.

I just want to make sure if Science degrees dont hurt later in career.
Reply 5
You can do the PetEng MSc with a degree in Geology in most unis (I know Heriott Watt accepts geologists for their MSc as well) and I reckon it won't hurt your chances career wise. As was mentioned above though it is very possible you will change your mind about the MSc in the time to come, I wanted to do PetEng for years and I finally chose to study Materials Eng for my MSc (with a BSc in Geology as well)

Στάλθηκε από το LG-D855 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Do what you want to do, a Geologist usually does not want to work as an engineer and if, then it will be as difficult as for everyone changing career. Doing a degree you don't want to work in is always a disadvantage, how big, depends. Only you will know. To find out, whether you can get chartered or not, you can write directly to the professional bodies, who are the only one, who can tell you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply