The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are Amazon selling discount football teams?
Good victory but at the expense of 3 hamstring injuries. Will we actually have a fit CB for our next few games?

Arsenal are going to absolutely tear us apart.
Jeez looks like Toure has also picked up an injury..

Are we going to have any CBs fit for Friday?
Reply 3243
So Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Toure and Gomez all out. Looks like it will be Lucas and Can at CB from now on lol. Arsenal will be loving this.
Regardless of the ridiculous injuries, I must say that Allen and Toure were absolutely outstanding tonight. Absolutely outstanding.

Special mention to Lovren too - he was flawless before he got injured and it's pretty much the only time I've ever been disappointed to see him walk off the pitch. Great transformation.
No fit CBs. Ilori on his way back, thank god.

Really need to buy for Jan though, though Klopp may not do it.

Nice 1-0 lead to take to Anfield. Away goals don't come into it until AET.
Reply 3246
Are short term loans a possibility or is that only allowed for lower league clubs? Like maybe we could pinch a half decent CB who isn't playing from a top European club for a month or so... like Vermaelen from Barca or whatever.
Glad we won. Although for the most part we were very sharp and had created a fair few chances I was always worried about Stoke. Nice to see we were defensively solid enough to keep them out. Such a shame about the injuries as Coutinho looked really good today, linking up well with Lallana and Firmino. Also, Lovren has been absolutely solid over the past few weeks, I'm incredibly glad his form has picked up as I've always wanted to see him succeed at Liverpool. I'm gutted about our injury list though, surely we'll see one or two new faces in this window?
Reply 3248
Original post by mr tim
No fit CBs. Ilori on his way back, thank god.

Really need to buy for Jan though, though Klopp may not do it.

Nice 1-0 lead to take to Anfield. Away goals don't come into it until AET.

Didn't realise Ilori was coming back.. where has he been out at? Could be ideal timing for him because he will surely get a chance now.
Klopp saying Toure has a cramp. Hopefully true with other CBs out.
Reply 3250
Toure apparently only cramp so he should be okay
Original post by cBay
Didn't realise Ilori was coming back.. where has he been out at? Could be ideal timing for him because he will surely get a chance now.

Was at Villa where he didn't get any games. Wisdom going on loan was also a mistake considering he can cover RB and CB.
Klopp saying Sakho is unlikely to feature v Exeter.
I'm not that surprised we looked better today. It was for 2 reasons - Benteke didn't play so our front 3 or 4 players were all able to press high and quickly. Most of our chances came from pressure high up the pitch.

However that only really worked because Stoke wanted to play out from the back and didn't have an outball up front.

Not sure it will work against every team but a good lead to bring back to Anfield.
Reply 3254
Original post by Zerforax
Was at Villa where he didn't get any games. Wisdom going on loan was also a mistake considering he can cover RB and CB.

Wisdom is nowhere near good enough tbh. We couldn't predict things like Gomez being out for the year, theoretically 4 CB's and 2 RB's should be enough.
Original post by cBay
Wisdom is nowhere near good enough tbh. We couldn't predict things like Gomez being out for the year, theoretically 4 CB's and 2 RB's should be enough.

We came into the season with 4 CBs and 3 FBs which is probably one short.

It's a shame we're terrible at loans. We don't need to buy for some positions right now but a half a season loan would really help.
A win's a win. I'd have taken it before the game, and I'll certainly take it given the fact we saw Coutinho and Lovren both limp off, and Toure look like a dead man stumbling by the end of the 90.

Stoke were disappointingly blunt going forward tonight, but that's to be expected. Without those four goals at Goodison Park two weeks ago, they'd be on the same amount of goals scored as Villa. For all Arnautovic's worth and brilliance against the big sides in front of the TV cameras, he needs more consistency and cutting edge. I'd have been more worried had Crouch (if fully fit) or Walters had started, in truth.

Again, a 1-0 win proves good enough. That's fine for a first-leg advantage to take back to Anfield in a few weeks time, but our lack of a gunslinging centre-forward is still prevalent. We relied on Ibe tonight - somebody who, along with Lallana and Firmino - hasn't plundered enough goals for us thus far this campaign. It proved Klopp was right not to bring in Benteke for the injured Coutinho, though.

We harried and hassled really well tonight. Stoke's best outlet was clearly Glen Johnson - some indictment - and the much-talked about three-pronged attack was surprisingly blunt. I felt we got really close to Bojan, but he was brilliant and just wasn't offered enough help. Thankfully, Stoke's end product was even worse than outs has been during 2015/16, and Hughes was clearly bereft of magic when he opted to introduce Walters and revert to a traditional target man set-up.

The lack of composure and solidity we have when facing long balls is so, so obvious. No wonder Stoke started hoofing it late on.

Maybe one day we'll be able to put a game to bed and not ride out the last quarter of an hour with me on the brink of a heart attack, but that would be too simple. At least we proved we could do it on a cold, rainy Tuesday night in Stoke. I thought the three lads in the middle - Allen, Can and Lucas - were great, especially with the latter filling the void in the heart of the defence post-Lovren's hamstring injury.

Let's pray neither injury is too serious. Our injured XI could now be: Bogdan, K Toure, Lovren, Sakho, Gomez, Flanagan, Henderson, Coutinho, Origi, Ings, Sturridge. Christ almighty.
Reply 3257
In brighter news injury wise, Flanagan played 45 minutes for the U21's today. He could be the guy to kick start our season, people think we relied on Suarez, but really it was all about Flanagan. On a serious note, I wonder what our win percentage is with him in the team, his two proper runs in the team have coincided with KD's best run of form and BR's best run of form, it must be at least 80%.
Great to see him back. I think Flanagan is exactly the type of player Klopp will love, in all honesty. Just hope he's at least 90% of what he was in 2013-14. It has been such a lengthy lay-off.
I'd be surprised if we saw Flanagan before April/May? Don't forget his contract will expire this summer - hard to judge what the club will do. Might be in all parties best interest if we gave him another one year deal?

Latest