The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Most wide balls bowled in an innings by England:

11 today v South Africa

10 v India in Calcutta back in 1993
Some impressive batting there, and incredible fielding (incredibly bad, that is).
Is JP Duminy not considered black, then? Gower saying Bavuma's the first black African to score a test century.
Original post by rockrunride
18 overs left. 108 dot balls please lads. Cheers

Doesn't quite work like that... :biggrin: Hales will atleast open the shackles a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Doesn't quite work like that... :biggrin: Hales will atleast open the shackles a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I can say is thank **** we haven't lost a wicket yet.

Original post by The Wavefunction
Is JP Duminy not considered black, then? Gower saying Bavuma's the first black African to score a test century.

I think Duminy, in South African terms, is of ancestry commonly categorised by a certain word beginning with C that is derogatory everywhere else in the world except South Africa. Benedict Cumberbatch recently put his foot in it using the word.
Original post by rockrunride
All I can say is thank **** we haven't lost a wicket yet.

I think Duminy, in South African terms, is of ancestry commonly categorised by a certain word beginning with C that is derogatory everywhere else in the world except South Africa. Benedict Cumberbatch recently put his foot in it using the word.

Is coloured not black though? Can only assume Duminy is of mixed race.

It baffles me that the term coloured is deemed derogatory, but that's for another thread and not the cricket forum.

It baffles me that the term coloured is deemed derogatory, but that's for another thread and not the cricket forum.

No and yep - "Coloured" is the neutral term for people of mixed background in SA, especially in the Western Cape. They usually speak Afrikaans and English and have British, Afrikaans or Huguenot surnames. I suspect Duminy is at least of partial Huguenot descent, especially with a name like Jean-Paul.

Racist!

:colondollar:

If someone comes from a mixed background then logically they must be as part of one as the other (i.e. if he had one white parent and one black parent then he'd most likely be described as coloured but he'd be as white as he is black).

South Africa haven't had many ethnically 100% black players. Ntini is the main one that comes to mind.
Original post by usycool1
Some impressive batting there, and incredible fielding (incredibly bad, that is).

I thought you were talking about a match in Mumbai where Pranav Dhanawade scored 1,009 runs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-35230388

I thought that if then the opposition had been bowled out cheaply, Alistair Cook still would not have enforced the follow-on!

He's mixed race. Same as guys like Alviro Petersen and Ashwell Prince who've scored tons for them.

The SA quota target system aims for 4 non-white players in the side, 1 of whom is black African. So Amla/Duminy/Philander/Piedt would count as the former but not the latter. As far as I know Rabada and Bavuma are the only realistic options to fill the latter atm.
Fair enough. Cheers for the education, gents.
I listened to a podcast discussing race in South African cricket the other day, it was really interesting. As an outsider it's so hard to genuinely understand how influential race is to SA.
Even though this test is beginning to look like a guaranteed draw, it was a good test and I enjoyed watching it. Both teams deserve the win. Amla rediscovered his class and I hope his form continues for the rest of this series.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations to Bavuma too, family looked soo proud! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dale Steyn apparently could be fit for the 3rd test match. Will be a massive boost for SA, especially given their batting performance in this test. Their main players have got some runs (especially Amla) and the next two test matches could be tight.
I saw a clip during the day with Stokes sledging Bavuma who went onto hit a century - former's sledging needs bit of work!
Reply 476
Original post by moment of truth
Dale Steyn apparently could be fit for the 3rd test match. Will be a massive boost for SA, especially given their batting performance in this test. Their main players have got some runs (especially Amla) and the next two test matches could be tight.

Certainly hope so. Steyn/Philander/Morkel vs. Anderson/Broad/Finn is mouth-watering.

Huge congratulations to Bavuma today. He's diminutive in stature - akin to Taylor or Root - but so impressive, and it's a watershed moment for SA cricket.
Reply 477
Also, I've got to be honest, I feel a little for England with the backlash they are getting with this sledging.

They had been out in the field for 200 overs, and received the THIRD new ball. That's a ridiculous amount of time, and Broad became disillusioned and took a hack at the wicket as a result. He wasn't doing an Afridi and trying to wreck the track, after all.

Remember, too, that England have played ten days of cricket in the last 12. That's a preposterous amount. They are tired and frustrated. There was no malice in it.
Original post by Mackay

Huge congratulations to Bavuma today. He's diminutive in stature - akin to Taylor or Root - but so impressive, and it's a watershed moment for SA cricket.

Isn't Root north of 6ft?
Reply 479
Isn't Root north of 6ft?

Holy ****. You're right. That's mad.

1.83m = 6 foot bang on.

Always thought he was smaller.

Quick Reply

Latest