The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Holy ****. You're right. That's mad.

1.83m = 6 foot bang on.

Always thought he was smaller.

I think it's a pretty common misconception. Sure he's been referred to as 'Little Joe Root' before.
Reply 481
Original post by The Wavefunction
I think it's a pretty common misconception. Sure he's been referred to as 'Little Joe Root' before.

It's his youthful face and cheeky chappy nature.
Original post by Mackay
Certainly hope so. Steyn/Philander/Morkel vs. Anderson/Broad/Finn is mouth-watering.

Huge congratulations to Bavuma today. He's diminutive in stature - akin to Taylor or Root - but so impressive, and it's a watershed moment for SA cricket.

I heard that Philander will most likely not make it, but getting Steyn back would be massive.
Reply 483
Meanwhile, in the Big Bash, Australia’s 13-man squad for the five-match ODI series against India has cost the Melbourne Stars key players James Faulkner, Glenn Maxwell and Scott Boland.

Jayawardene hit 57 to lead Adelaide Strikers to victory over Perth Scorchers yesterday.
Original post by Mackay
Certainly hope so. Steyn/Philander/Morkel vs. Anderson/Broad/Finn is mouth-watering.

Huge congratulations to Bavuma today. He's diminutive in stature - akin to Taylor or Root - but so impressive, and it's a watershed moment for SA cricket.

I always thought Joe Root was diminutive too, until I saw him in person. He's easily 6ft! James Taylor is a shorty though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 485
Original post by gavin_1980
I always thought Joe Root was diminutive too, until I saw him in person. He's easily 6ft! James Taylor is a shorty though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye. JT is pint-sized.
Need a century stand NOW or we're ****ed here. Or maybe one of the England players could go missing during the next innings break..
Reply 487
SA fielders giving it plenty: "Come on, boys. This is what pressure does."

Morris is bowling well - not with any real pace, but he's line and length every time and making Compton think. It's at times like this that I love having Compton at three, to be honest.

Root made Morris' delivery to him look far better than it was, though, in truth. Looked to have great movement at first glance, but the replays showed it only boasted a little.
87/4 after the first session.

Could be pretty close if SA get a couple of early wickets in the next session.
Good thing the batting lineup is deep. Would like us to get to 160.
Reply 490
Broad duly fined 30% of his match fee for that aforementioned hack at the wicket yesterday. Seems really harsh to me, and seems pretty farcical that he's been fined for 'excessive appealing'. Ha.
A part of me wants to see SA back batting attempting the chase. Not too early, but not too late either.
Reply 492
Floodlights coming on at Newlands...

30 minutes until tea, folks. If England go in six down still, with Bairstow and Moeen at the crease, I'd be incredibly confident.

Actually, even another wicket and I'll probably be calm and collected.
(edited 8 years ago)
Light taken. This is over now. Apparently the match will be declared a draw if conditions don't improve by half past 2 (half 4 their time). Absolutely no chance of four wickets and 160 runs in 90 minutes (if that) of play though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 494
Game ends in a draw.
Amla steps down as captain. ABDV to be captain for the remaining two tests. I think a lot of people probably saw this coming, but fair enough to Amla.
Reply 496
Feel for Amla - but he will thrive without the captaincy. He was never a natural leader, and his decision making in this series has been plagued with indecision, and a lack of a clinical edge. Giving the new ball to anybody but Morkel was farcical, and he took the SA's foot off our throats today if we're honest.

ABDV is the natural long-term fit, and you assume he'll want the honour. He may have to stop stretching himself over three formats, though.

I guess he has opted to go out on a high. The India series put him on the brink, and then you have to say Durban was the tipping point. He made a remarkable double hundred here at Newlands, but he deserves to go out on his own terms. I think he went out as he plays: classy and gracefully.

I wish Amla all the best. Can't help but feel he's been let down by dissent among his insubordinates (namely ABDV himself). Replacing Smith was always a helpless task, in truth.

Very funny to see England force a SA captain to resign, though.
Original post by Mackay
Broad duly fined 30% of his match fee for that aforementioned hack at the wicket yesterday. Seems really harsh to me, and seems pretty farcical that he's been fined for 'excessive appealing'. Ha.

I don't think he was fined for excessive appealing. People reported it but the ICC changed their code/lawbook thing last summer- the number his offence doesn't mean excessive appealing anymore. Might be wrong though.

I think Stokes' innings was peak cricket. We've been **** since then. All downhill from here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louis.
I don't think he was fined for excessive appealing. People reported it but the ICC changed their code/lawbook thing last summer- the number his offence doesn't mean excessive appealing anymore. Might be wrong though.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he was fined for dissent for telling Aleem Dar "to get on with the game" when latter had a word with his captain about having a scrape on the pitch. Probably the tone wasn't helpful than the actual words.
Reply 499
Original post by Aky786UK
I think he was fined for dissent for telling Aleem Dar "to get on with the game" when latter had a word with his captain about having a scrape on the pitch. Probably the tone wasn't helpful than the actual words.

Cook was miming instructions to the field after the umpires told England to be quieter.

Quick Reply

Latest