The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Klopp hasn't ruled out drafting in defensive backup and new bodies to help the back-line in January, which is promising given our complete dearth of available players back there.
Original post by cBay
Are short term loans a possibility or is that only allowed for lower league clubs? Like maybe we could pinch a half decent CB who isn't playing from a top European club for a month or so... like Vermaelen from Barca or whatever.

The window is open so you can, any length of loan is allowed, if my Football Manager experience is anything to go by. It would only be an issue outside the window, in which case I think it's only keepers that can have emergency loans.
So we're going forward with no fit central defenders :frown:
We're being linked with Schalke centre-back Joel Matip, but I wonder if Klopp will recall Wisdom/Ilori first.

It's really amazing how many hamstring injuries we've had under Klopp - no wonder he said it was his "**** word" of the year! Origi, Skrtel, Lovren, Coutinho, along with Henderson's reoccurring heel problem, Sturridge's continued problems, Gomez/Ings ACL, Sakho's fragility in his legs.

It's enough to make you debate the fitness and conditioning levels of our players currently. Was the work they did under BR pre-season not enough to acclimatise them to the hard press and running Klopp is utilising?
It's not suprising, players arn't going to be used to Klopps training not having had a proper preseason with him.

Sturridge hasn't had an actual preseason for like 2 years if I'm right, that's a contribution to why he gets injured so frequently which is why Klopp has put him in a mini preseason.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samir12
It's not suprising, players arn't going to be used to Klopps training not having had a proper preseason with him.

Sturridge hasn't had an actual preseason for like 2 years if I'm right, that's a contribution to why he gets injured so frequently which is why Klopp has put him in a mini preseason.

Indeed. I remember watching that first game at White Hart Lane, and the players were huffing out of their arses by the mid-point of the first-half. A real shame, in truth. It just shows that Klopp needs time, though. Obviously, football is a short-term game with short-term ambitions, a need for immediacy and urgent success. But Klopp deserves time.
Original post by samir12

I don't think Klopp is actually doing any training at the moment? With so many injuries we've been using the same small set of players (around 15 perhaps) and playing games every 3-4 days. After match day they will have some rest and then perhaps some light training/tactics but I doubt he can do any extensive training? Not sure his training methods can be blamed yet.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think Klopp is actually doing any training at the moment? With so many injuries we've been using the same small set of players (around 15 perhaps) and playing games every 3-4 days. After match day they will have some rest and then perhaps some light training/tactics but I doubt he can do any extensive training? Not sure his training methods can be blamed yet.

That's true, I just read that Klopp did say his players arn't even training that much, we have so many games that there is only time for recovery. But the high pressing style he implements in those games surely must be a contribution as while Rodgers likes his players to press he doesn't make them press as intense as Klopp does and focuses on possession and so players arn't going to be prepared.

Didn't help that when Klopp first came in there was already a quite a few injuries and so players had to play extra games with no option to rotate. Possibily our preseason may have not been good enough. Hopefully when the summer comes, Klopp will get these guys into shape and ready for next season, get them into the gym too avoid getting bullied on the pitch so easily!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by samir12
That's true, I just read that Klopp did say his players arn't even training that much, we have so many games that there is only time for recovery. But the high pressing style he implements in those games surely must be a contribution as while Rodgers likes his players to press he doesn't make them press as intense as Klopp does and focuses on possession and so players arn't going to be prepared.

Didn't help that when Klopp first came in there was already a quite a few injuries and so players had to play extra games with no option to rotate. Possibily our preseason may have not been good enough. Hopefully when the summer comes, Klopp will get these guys into shape and ready for next season, get them into the gym too avoid getting bullied on the pitch so easily!

Yea agree. There will be some players who just don't fit Klopp's plans since they aren't athletic enough. You look at someone like Lallana who struggles to complete 90 minutes regularly - how's he going to manage with pressing hard too?

Original post by samir12

Yeah, we aren't training right now. That's why the festive period is so, so poor for teams when they lose momentum. They are coming into the training complexes to do warm downs, and muscle work, and recovery stuff. There's very little time actually on the training pitch, so you can kind of have sympathy for BR's plight last season (going from plenty of time at Melwood with the players during 2012-13 and 2013-14 to last season's chocka schedule). Interestingly, though, our hectic Christmas period correlated with an upturn in our form last season.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah, we aren't training right now. That's why the festive period is so, so poor for teams when they lose momentum. They are coming into the training complexes to do warm downs, and muscle work, and recovery stuff. There's very little time actually on the training pitch, so you can kind of have sympathy for BR's plight last season (going from plenty of time at Melwood with the players during 2012-13 and 2013-14 to last season's chocka schedule). Interestingly, though, our hectic Christmas period correlated with an upturn in our form last season.

Might be down to the extra work in games

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/06/liverpool-running-injuries-jurgen-klopp

Liverpool running 6km more per game under Jürgen Klopp than with Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool are also doing many more sprints per game, on average 548 compared to 474 under Rodgers

Also we've asked Villa to cancel Ilori's loan

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jan/06/tiago-illori-liverpool-aston-villa

Good news that, he looks depressed at Villa.
If Ilori can't get in a Villa side at the bottom of the table, does he honestly have a future with us?
Original post by Rumpelforeskin
Good news that, he looks depressed at Villa.

Turns 23 next month so I imagine he just wants to play.

Original post by Mackay
If Ilori can't get in a Villa side at the bottom of the table, does he honestly have a future with us?

Well our scouts must have bought him for a reason? Although it's mean 2.5 years with 3 different loans and he's only managed 24 appearances (not sure how many minutes).

I guess now is the time for him to prove himself when we have no other choices?

Well our scouts must have bought him for a reason? Although it's mean 2.5 years with 3 different loans and he's only managed 24 appearances (not sure how many minutes).

I guess now is the time for him to prove himself when we have no other choices?

If Sherwood had been in charge, I'd have suggested it was simply a misunderstanding/clash with the manager, but he hasn't even had a look-in under Garde.
Original post by Mackay
If Sherwood had been in charge, I'd have suggested it was simply a misunderstanding/clash with the manager, but he hasn't even had a look-in under Garde.

With Villa struggling, would any new manager considering a youngster with no premier league experience who probably won't even be there in 6 months?
With Villa struggling, would any new manager considering a youngster with no premier league experience who probably won't even be there in 6 months?

Richards is such a better right-back, though. They should be shifting him there, and dispensing with the farcically picked Hutton (bloke must be the worst PL footballer this season) and bringing in the youthful, pacy Ilori to partner an ageing, experienced Lescott. Happy days, surely?
Tbh you lot do realise you have a bunch of injury prone CBs and are currently in the deep midsts of a defensive crisis.

You'd do great to bring back Ilori and play him in your FA cup tie this weekend.
Original post by jam277
Tbh you lot do realise you have a bunch of injury prone CBs and are currently in the deep midsts of a defensive crisis.

You'd do great to bring back Ilori and play him in your FA cup tie this weekend.

To be fair, Skrtel isn't injury-prone. He has been a defensive staple since his lengthy lay-off in 2008-09. 25+ appearances every season since 2009 says it all, really.

Likewise, Lovren managed 31 for Southampton and clocked up 26 for us last campaign.

I get what you're saying, though. Sakho and and ageing Toure are hardly reliable if you want 30+ games.
Grujic confirmed, will be loaned back to Red Star for the rest of the season.

Latest