The Student Room Group

What to do with spare time between 23:00-03:00?

So with my sleeping pattern I will take a nap when I get home then only sleep for 2 to three hours at night which leaves a lot of time. Apart from studying how could I make best use of this time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rub one out
Reply 2
I have the exact same issue!

I enjoy watching repeats of TV shows I used to enjoy when younger. Same with reading.
Other than that try and change the way you think about your day. For example In a 'normal' routine someone might do work all day, eat and then relax, TV or anything leisure only after say 7pm, before sleep maybe 10-11pm.
Which is fine, if you then get up somewhere between 7-9am.

But if your like me and sleep somewhere like 4am - 12noon (or later I have been over Christmas!) then by the time you are out of bed, dressed, and eaten etc you don't have much time before the 'don't work after this time' of 7pm. I was finding I got so little done, and had so much free time I'm not sure what to do with.

So, if when in the 'wrong' sleeping pattern change all the times to be 'wrong' to match. So you get the same amount of work or active time as you should, then the same amount of relax or leisure time too. Even better it then seems to help you sleep because you've been busier in the 'day'.

I hope I explained this so you understand, if your unsure what I mean please ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Lucasium
So with my sleeping pattern I will take a nap when I get home then only sleep for 2 to three hours at night which leaves a lot of time. Apart from studying how could I make best use of this time?

Option 1. Read my short stories here on TSR and vote.

Option 2. Watch my travel video (on You Tube).

Option 3. [The best option]. Get (more) sleep.
Original post by Vlad83

Option 3. [The best option]. Get (more) sleep.

Truth.

Learn an instrument or language or something.
Reply 5
Original post by dipka
I have the exact same issue!

I enjoy watching repeats of TV shows I used to enjoy when younger. Same with reading.
Other than that try and change the way you think about your day. For example In a 'normal' routine someone might do work all day, eat and then relax, TV or anything leisure only after say 7pm, before sleep maybe 10-11pm.
Which is fine, if you then get up somewhere between 7-9am.

But if your like me and sleep somewhere like 4am - 12noon (or later I have been over Christmas!) then by the time you are out of bed, dressed, and eaten etc you don't have much time before the 'don't work after this time' of 7pm. I was finding I got so little done, and had so much free time I'm not sure what to do with.

So, if when in the 'wrong' sleeping pattern change all the times to be 'wrong' to match. So you get the same amount of work or active time as you should, then the same amount of relax or leisure time too. Even better it then seems to help you sleep because you've been busier in the 'day'.

I hope I explained this so you understand, if your unsure what I mean please ask.

I wake up at 7:30 and I work well past 19:00 without the quality of work being effected. Thanks for the idea anyway.
Reply 6
that moment when you're doing 2 months worth of work in one night ._.

Reply 7
Original post by Lucasium
I wake up at 7:30 and I work well past 19:00 without the quality of work being effected. Thanks for the idea anyway.

So your sleeping I assume from 3, only till 7:30?
so it's more of a lack of sleep issue rather than a sleeping pattern issue?

Don't really know what to suggest. I always foind that i'd never get more than a few weeks with 4 hours sleep a night before I slept for like 12 hours and was then still in the same routine but not tired, just repeated. So with 'spare' time just do whatever I want. or what needs doing.
Reply 8
Original post by dipka
So your sleeping I assume from 3, only till 7:30?
so it's more of a lack of sleep issue rather than a sleeping pattern issue?

Don't really know what to suggest. I always foind that i'd never get more than a few weeks with 4 hours sleep a night before I slept for like 12 hours and was then still in the same routine but not tired, just repeated. So with 'spare' time just do whatever I want. or what needs doing.

Pretty much but there is no lack of sleep, 4 and a half hours is overkill really
Original post by z33

sameee :frown: Good luck
I've been writing a novel, it is sh!t and probably won't be picked up by hachett or any of the other big publishers but yeah.. It's something..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Sunshine2305

thank you ;_; you too
Post on TSR?
Original post by z33

Original post by Sunshine2305

Jesus Christ.

Is it coursework?

I left mine with 5 days to spare. I thought that was bad.
Original post by adark876
I've been writing a novel, it is sh!t and probably won't be picked up by hachett or any of the other big publishers but yeah.. It's something..

Posted from TSR Mobile

[video="youtube;2INEVQ4jvUs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INEVQ4jvUs[/video]
Original post by Rumpelforeskin
[video="youtube;2INEVQ4jvUs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INEVQ4jvUs[/video]

You have made my night.... I've actually written 146 Chapters (it has taken me about 3 years) I just need to finish the book in 4 more chapters then it's done..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adark876
You have made my night.... I've actually written 146 Chapters (it has taken me about 3 years) I just need to finish the book in 4 more chapters then it's done..

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's it about?
Reply 17
Jesus Christ.

Is it coursework?

I left mine with 5 days to spare. I thought that was bad.

yeah it is :cry2: - computing
I'm so stupid :colonhash:
got 90% of it done by 6 am, fell asleep and couldnt get up to go hand it in -.-'
Original post by z33
yeah it is :cry2: - computing
I'm so stupid :colonhash:
got 90% of it done by 6 am, fell asleep and couldnt get up to go hand it in -.-'

You've missed the deadline too?
Reply 19
You've missed the deadline too?

Well the deadline was 2 weeks before christmas X'DD
but the final final deadline is in may obvvv

my teacher's gonna murder me T_T

Quick Reply

Latest