The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medical School Applicants - 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Glasgow don't use SJT though so it's not quite the same - having a good or bad SJT applying to SA could decide your fate with them.
Original post by Bogshed
Glasgow don't use SJT though so it's not quite the same - having a good or bad SJT applying to SA could decide your fate with them.

Good point but many people will have the same SJT score so it can't be a huge factor can't it? Since there are only four possible SJT scores !
Original post by muchensmile
Something changed in your tsr settings probs :P

Lol thanks your right. All threads are now reversed chronological order for me lol can't figure out what I've done :colondollar:
Reply 163
Original post by sunburner
Good point but many people will have the same SJT score so it can't be a huge factor can't it? Since there are only four possible SJT scores !

True that, most people I've seen got a band 2 including me, and fewer band 1s,3s
True that, most people I've seen got a band 2 including me, and fewer band 1s,3s

Really? I expected most people to get B1 ( it's because Medical applicants are so clever ) lol
Reply 165
Original post by sunburner
Really? I expected most people to get B1 ( it's because Medical applicants are so clever ) lol

Well I can't really conclude without stats, but that's just my conclusion from ukcat pages/friends. Could be wrong :P
"- Your interview score (including SJT) is what decides whether you get an offer - they will only use the UKCAT if you have the same interview score as someone else!" Hmm this part is slightly worrying, I applied thinking they somehow rank people with ukcat after interview. So this is basically the exact same as Glasgow selection process now :P

"Decisions to make offers will be based on the interview score and the global UKCAT score."

The website kind of leads you to believe that but it's vagueness allows it imo. My question is that have they changed this recently, I could have sworn it said 50:50 around october?
Reply 167
Original post by Docjones1
"Decisions to make offers will be based on the interview score and the global UKCAT score."

The website kind of leads you to believe that but it's vagueness allows it imo. My question is that have they changed this recently, I could have sworn it said 50:50 around october?

Yeah I agree its quite vague but oh well, and yes I think they have changed it to 100% ukcat weighing
Reply 168
Here is a cached version of their website from June 2015
https://web.archive.org/web/20150614153522/http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#
They said " Following assessment of personal statement and reference, suitable applicants will be ranked for interview on the basis of their academic performance and their UKCAT global score. Those ranked in the top 400 or so will be given an interview."
But now its:
"Applicants meeting these requirements will be ranked on the basis of their UKCAT global score"
Very subtle indeed.
Yeah I agree its quite vague but oh well, and yes I think they have changed it to 100% ukcat weighing

I meant after interview. It used to say something along the lines of interview score 50% ukcat 50%
Reply 170
Original post by Docjones1
I meant after interview. It used to say something along the lines of interview score 50% ukcat 50%

Oh yeah maybe that as well, check my cached web page to see whether it said that?
Reply 171
I got an interview whooooo
Hi guys does the sjt thing and interview score apply to international applicants as well?? also, any international students here got an interview?? Did u guys get a guideline on what kind of questions that will be asked during the interview?? thank you so much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi guys im new to this thread and im just concerned that is a sjt of band 3 practically means an immediate rejection? Im an international student and im shocked that they offered me an interview for such a bad result , and i just want to know my chance of getting an offer...
Has anyone heard back after interview yet? Had my interview last month 😬:smile:
Original post by Cocktailpeanuts
Hi guys im new to this thread and im just concerned that is a sjt of band 3 practically means an immediate rejection? Im an international student and im shocked that they offered me an interview for such a bad result , and i just want to know my chance of getting an offer...

HEY , me sjt band 4, also got interview, band 3 is fine, but band 4..... gg. anyways, where r u goin for the interview? hv u got the specific date and time?? lol im worried bout sjt......
SJT just counts as one station. You're obviously off to a bad start from that point of view but it's not the end of the world - there are 6 other stations.
Original post by glennfenix
HEY , me sjt band 4, also got interview, band 3 is fine, but band 4..... gg. anyways, where r u goin for the interview? hv u got the specific date and time?? lol im worried bout sjt......

I m going to attend the interview maybe mid feb at st andrews cuz they wont have skype interviews until early march, thats what they told me, and i cant do it in march. The sjt part is quite worrying and i'd really like to know if it has huge influence on the interview score or not, and whether they still consider academic when giving offers...
Original post by Cocktailpeanuts
I m going to attend the interview maybe mid feb at st andrews cuz they wont have skype interviews until early march, thats what they told me, and i cant do it in march. The sjt part is quite worrying and i'd really like to know if it has huge influence on the interview score or not, and whether they still consider academic when giving offers...

Oh i see. I wonder if we chose to do skype the sjt part will still be taken into account or not.
Reply 179
Original post by madmed16
I got an interview whooooo

Well done :biggrin: When is it?

I'm still waiting haha hopefully hear soon :P

Quick Reply

Latest