The Student Room Group

Who got a A* in History in GCSE?

Who got an A* in History and now doing history in A levels?
Reply 1
I did but I only did History AS
Reply 2
i got an A* BUT IT WAS VERY HARD IF NEED TIP TALK TO ME
me
Yep - I'm now doing AS history, it's very different. I would argue it does have some carry-over in terms of skills. If you do well at GCSE history you've either got a natural ability to remember dates and events or you've trained yourself. Either way, they are both useful at A-level. Essay and exam structure is very different, however and you're expected to talk about things on a much more analytical level than before.
Reply 5
Me, and doing A2 History now
Reply 6
Me, doing A2 now and applied for history at uni
Reply 7
You don't have to do particularly well in GCSE History to do A-Level.
Original post by Helpmepickone
Who got an A* in History and now doing history in A levels?

Got A* in OCR GCSE History

Now doing AS History
Reply 9
I got a* in the mocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got almost full marks at GCSE, AS, now doing A2 and doing it at uni.
I got 1 mark off an A* overall, still pisses me off to this day haha. I did do A level, though.
98 UMS - A* :smile: (not taking A-level)

U What M8?
Original post by nathnael
i got an A* BUT IT WAS VERY HARD IF NEED TIP TALK TO ME

how did you revise?
I did, I got it in all the units, I did Edexcel.
So the topics I did were:
Medicine
Surgery
American civil rights
American women's movement
Germany

And I'm doing A Level (OCR), I doing the new spec so my exams will be in 2017.
i made a timetable of the subjects i take and when i revise. so when it was history i bought a revision book and go through it. godd luck

Original post by D.SHA64
how did you revise?
Original post by D.SHA64
how did you revise?

I'm obviously not the person you asked but still.

For most of them I would make digital recordings for each unit and then put them on my mp3 and listen to them whenever. Listening to them was quite boring, but hey at least i got an A*. It also helps if you listen to them whilst trying to sleep, it can put you to bed and you will be learning as well. And when listening in the day you could write the stuff you're saying, such as facts, this means you will actually be concentrating on the stuff.

The only problem with this is that you have to motivate yourself to listen to them. I used a simple £7 Argos mp3 player.

Now, though, in A levels what I do is make booklets for each unit.
Original post by nathnael
i made a timetable of the subjects i take and when i revise. so when it was history i bought a revision book and go through it. godd luck

Original post by SaarahN
I'm obviously not the person you asked but still.

For most of them I would make digital recordings for each unit and then put them on my mp3 and listen to them whenever. Listening to them was quite boring, but hey at least i got an A*. It also helps if you listen to them whilst trying to sleep, it can put you to bed and you will be learning as well. And when listening in the day you could write the stuff you're saying, such as facts, this means you will actually be concentrating on the stuff.

The only problem with this is that you have to motivate yourself to listen to them. I used a simple £7 Argos mp3 player.

Now, though, in A levels what I do is make booklets for each unit.

thanks that was really helpful:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest