The Student Room Group

FP3 DEs by substitution question

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rabadon
Can anyone help me with this question? I can get as far as du/dx = u^3/(3x)-4u/(3x) but I'm not sure if it's correct up to here and if it is I'm struggling to integrate the separated variables.

Part D:
image.jpg

Could you post your working?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Could you post your working?

image.jpg
Original post by Rabadon
image.jpg

Just checking the end - can you collect the ln with the RHS?

You are making hard work of the partial fractions - why did you expand?

1 = A (u + 2)(u -2) + Bu (u - 2) + Cu (u + 2)

then subst in u = 0 then other sensible values - much quicker.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Just checking the end - can you collect the ln with the RHS?

You are making hard work of the partial fractions - why did you expand?

1 = A (u + 2)(u -2) + Bu (u - 2) + Cu (u + 2)

then subst in u = 0 then other sensible values - much quicker.

Yeah we've hardly covered partial fractions so my bad :tongue:. Anyway, they got the same as me in the back apart from a few questions I have.

I've integrated 1/3x incorrectly, but it's kind of confusing me. 1/3 could be taken out of the integrand and then it integrates to 1/3ln(X), however if the 3 is left in the integrand it integrates to 1/3ln(3x). Does the fraction have to be in its simplest terms to integrate like this idk.

Also, the attached answers aren't in the form y=f(X) which I thought was necessary. At what point is it ok to stop and not put it in that form? image.jpg
Original post by Rabadon
Anyway, they got the same as me in the back apart from a few questions I have.

I've integrated 1/3x incorrectly, but it's kind of confusing me. 1/3 could be taken out of the integrand and then it integrates to 1/3ln(X), however if the 3 is left in the integrand it integrates to 1/3ln(3x). Does the fraction have to be in its simplest terms to integrate like this idk.

Also, the attached answers aren't in the form y=f(X) which I thought was necessary. At what point is it ok to stop and not put it in that form?

What happens if you differentiate 1/3 ln(3x) .... you don't get 1/3x, so its best to take out the 1/3.

Once you subsitute back it usually easy to see if the answer can be given as y = f(x) and here it can't. So just tidy up as they have done.
Reply 6
What happens if you differentiate 1/3 ln(3x) .... you don't get 1/3x, so its best to take out the 1/3.

Once you subsitute back it usually easy to see if the answer can be given as y = f(x) and here it can't. So just tidy up as they have done.

ok awesome thank you!

Can I be cheeky and ask you what I've done wrong here too?? image.jpg(what looks like 1/(8p) is meant to be (1/8)p btw

edit: oh I need to take the 13/8 out before I use f'(X) rule
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rabadon
ok awesome thank you!

Can I be cheeky and ask you what I've done wrong here too?? image.jpg(what looks like 1/(8p) is meant to be (1/8)p btw

Of course!

Again, it's a slip I think - if you integrate 2dp you get 2p + c so if you integrate (1/8)dp you get (1/8)p not 1/8p.

I always suggest differentiating if you aren't sure or want to check.
Reply 8
Of course!

Again, it's a slip I think - if you integrate 2dp you get 2p + c so if you integrate (1/8)dp you get (1/8)p not 1/8p.

I always suggest differentiating if you aren't sure or want to check.

ah yes, I realised that pretty quickly. I also made another error integrating the other thing. I need to remember to take things out of the integrand before using that f(x) f'(x) rule :/

Quick Reply

Latest