The Student Room Group

Oxbridge USA Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hey all! Just your average Cincinnati kid applying to Oxford for History and Politics (my only international school). I applied to Wadham but was interviewed for Merton - doing a Skype interview facing four tutors is intimidating! Do you think Americans are at a disadvantage because we generally haven't specialized at all during high school? It might explain why the acceptance rate for international students is so much lower than for British students.
(edited 8 years ago)
I actually went to Oxford for my interview, and did not feel to be at any disadvantage as a result of my not having specialized. The Brits I met were at about the same level of preparedness as the international students. My interviews went alright, but I can't conclude anything about my chances of admission. I did, however, have an incredible time and am truly hoping to get in (though in the meantime, I got into Harvard EA so that's nice).
Original post by american_human
I actually went to Oxford for my interview, and did not feel to be at any disadvantage as a result of my not having specialized. The Brits I met were at about the same level of preparedness as the international students. My interviews went alright, but I can't conclude anything about my chances of admission. I did, however, have an incredible time and am truly hoping to get in (though in the meantime, I got into Harvard EA so that's nice).

Hey nice job on the Harvard EA! So many of my friends got rejected/deferred x_x

Good luck to everyone on January 6th! I'm sure Oxford will have some room for us yanks :smile:
Status report, fellow Americans!

I got rejected from Merton for chemistry this morning. I do, however, have an offer from Edinburgh and am awaiting decisions from Princeton, Cornell, UVA, and Michigan, but Oxford was my top choice. I hope the rest of you fared better than I did!
Accepted into St. Annes for PPE!

Congrats.

Harvard or Oxford, then?
Original post by djangosp2
Status report, fellow Americans!

I got rejected from Merton for chemistry this morning. I do, however, have an offer from Edinburgh and am awaiting decisions from Princeton, Cornell, UVA, and Michigan, but Oxford was my top choice. I hope the rest of you fared better than I did!

Hey, are all of those RD applications or did you get any deferrals?
Original post by Student403
Hey, are all of those RD applications or did you get any deferrals?

All RD; I was going to do EA for Princeton, but wasn't able to take SAT subject tests by November 1st. I probably would have been deferred anyways.

Congratulations! :smile:
All RD; I was going to do EA for Princeton, but wasn't able to take SAT subject tests by November 1st. I probably would have been deferred anyways.

Ah I see. Good luck - I've applied there RD too
Ah I see. Good luck - I've applied there RD too

Good luck to you as well! Out of curiosity, what do you want to study?
Good luck to you as well! Out of curiosity, what do you want to study?

Thank you :smile: Aero engineering! How about yourself?
Thank you :smile: Aero engineering! How about yourself?

Chemistry: I put chemical engineering as my second choice and Material Science as my "certificate program" choice.

Where else did you apply? Have you gotten any decisions yet?
Chemistry: I put chemical engineering as my second choice and Material Science as my "certificate program" choice.

Where else did you apply? Have you gotten any decisions yet?

Ah nice!

1st choice: Mechanical/Aerospace
2nd choice: Physics

1st choice certificate: Linguistics
2nd choice certificate: Robotics/Intelligence systems

Unfortunately rejected by MIT/Caltech EA (surprised @ MIT tbh, but ah well (I expected a deferral))
Admitted to Purdue, deferred by Michigan lol

Hbu?
Ah nice!

1st choice: Mechanical/Aerospace
2nd choice: Physics

1st choice certificate: Linguistics
2nd choice certificate: Robotics/Intelligence systems

Unfortunately rejected by MIT/Caltech EA (surprised @ MIT tbh, but ah well (I expected a deferral))
Admitted to Purdue, deferred by Michigan lol

Hbu?

Congrats on Purdue! Which was your originally your first choice?

I got rejected by Oxford, accepted by Edinburgh, and awaiting RD from Michigan, Virginia, Princeton, and Cornell. I expect to be rejected from Princeton though (along with about 5 others from my school who got deferred)
Congrats on Purdue! Which was your originally your first choice?

I got rejected by Oxford, accepted by Edinburgh, and awaiting RD from Michigan, Virginia, Princeton, and Cornell. I expect to be rejected from Princeton though (along with about 5 others from my school who got deferred)

Oh no! Sorry to hear - And thanks! Congrats on your acceptanced :smile:

So far I'm hearing from Cambridge on the 12th, have been given offers from Bristol, Bath, UCL and Imperial and am waiting for Cornell, Princeton and Stanford RD

My first choice was MIT
Congrats.

Harvard or Oxford, then?

Ask me on May 2nd haha

But in all seriousness, I have no idea. I never expected to be in a situation where I had this choice so I'm gonna take my time to figure out which one suits me better.
Ask me on May 2nd haha

But in all seriousness, I have no idea. I never expected to be in a situation where I had this choice so I'm gonna take my time to figure out which one suits me better.

Well congrats anyway. I don't think you can go wrong with either, although personally I'd be choosing Harvard in a heartbeat :wink: (tired of the UK system lol)
Oh no! Sorry to hear - And thanks! Congrats on your acceptanced :smile:

So far I'm hearing from Cambridge on the 12th, have been given offers from Bristol, Bath, UCL and Imperial and am waiting for Cornell, Princeton and Stanford RD

My first choice was MIT

Wow, you applied to a lot of schools! Congratulations on the acceptances! What were your qualifications, out of curiosity?
Wow, you applied to a lot of schools! Congratulations on the acceptances! What were your qualifications, out of curiosity?

Thanks! I did, yes haha. Hearing from GATech too in a couple of days.

Do you mean my American ones like SAT scores? Or British exam results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending