The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge 2016 Postgraduate Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Impune
I applied to POLIS (MPhil) and already have my offer and college assignment. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has already heard.

Oh, I should have mentioned that the trend applied to students who submitted their applications in mid-December or January. Those who applied early on tended to hear back before the holiday. If you haven't received notice yet, you probably won't until February.
(edited 8 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I seem to remember that someone had an interview today for MPhil psychology and education. I hope it went well for you? Did they give you any idea as to when you might here back!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 782
Original post by richarsl
Oh, I should have mentioned that the trend applied to students who submitted their applications in mid-December or January. Those who applied early on tended to hear back before the holiday. If you haven't received notice yet, you probably won't until February.

I applied in mid November for a MPhil at POLIS. I have not heard back but I don't expect to until Feb. Apparently US candidates - who faced an earlier deadline due to Gates-Cambridge will be ranked earlier. According to the Gates website, departments will only rank applicants from other countries (such as myself) in February (after the deadline). Anyone can corroborate?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 783
If it's of help for anyone, my timeline was (but your timeline will probably be different)

Application submitted: 21/11/15
Under consideration by department: 23/11/15
Application with Degree Committee: 09/12/15
Awaiting consideration by BoGS: 10/12/15
Under consideration by BoGS: 14/12/15
Conditional Offer Made: 17/12/15
College Offer: 18/12/15

I applied for a PhD in Physics.
Now waiting for funding...
Reply 784
Original post by richarsl

Um, yeah, because there have barely been any real work days since mid-December. Cambridge closes completely over year end. And Cambridge is very seldom quick with appications, anyway.

Original post by wchngw
I applied in mid November for a MPhil at POLIS. I have not heard back but I don't expect to until Feb. Apparently US candidates - who faced an earlier deadline due to Gates-Cambridge will be ranked earlier. According to the Gates website, departments will only rank applicants from other countries (such as myself) in February (after the deadline). Anyone can corroborate?

The far more likely explanation is simply that US Gates applicants apply earlier, so logically their applications get processed earlier. Not everyone who applies to Cambridge applies for Gates, and departments can and do give out offers (or rejections) to non-US applicants who applied early too, even if they didn't apply for Gates. Gates deadlines are not the criterion for which applications get reviewed when, as you seem to imply. (A department would presumably expect Gates candidates to apply in enough time that their applications would have been reviewed in time for the ranking deadline.)
Reply 785
Original post by tj23
If it's of help for anyone, my timeline was (but your timeline will probably be different)

That's pretty speedy for Cambridge! Did you have contact with the supervisor before applying?
Congrats on the offer, and good luck for funding.
Original post by tj23

That is indeed very fast. My entire experience took slightly longer (six weeks) but four is indeed very quick.

Well done and good luck with the funding!
Reply 787
Original post by sj27
That's pretty speedy for Cambridge!

Original post by Aceadria
That is indeed very fast. My entire experience took slightly longer (six weeks) but four is indeed very quick.

it would have been even faster if the department didn't reject my application due to an admin mistake after nearly two weeks...maybe the physics department just didn't have that many applications at the moment.

Original post by sj27

Did you have contact with the supervisor before applying?

yes, I also informed him when I submitted my application. He asked the department to forward the application to him asap

Original post by sj27
Congrats on the offer, and good luck for funding.

Original post by sj27
This. I forgot to change my photo and have the most terrible photo on my card :getmecoat:

I remember being convinced that you needed a somewhat passport-style photo, with a white/neutral backdrop, so I got a friend to take a headshot of me, and it's awful. But then when I saw other people's cards, they had just uploaded a nice photo of them - one even had her cat in the background :laugh:
Reply 789

wow, dude, you didn't meet the status called "awating consideration by the department"??? I have just been tied in this place for loooooong time!:frown:
Original post by runzhuo
wow, dude, you didn't meet the status called "awating consideration by the department"??? I have just been tied in this place for loooooong time!:frown:

I did but for two weeks.
Reply 791
Original post by runzhuo

What have you applied for?
For POLIS, the next Degree Committee meeting is January 21, which means all those who applied in December and right after the holidays, should expect to hear around early to mid-February.

http://www.student-registry.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/dc_meeting_dates_-_2015-16_v2.pdf
(POLIS: Human, Social, and Political Sciences)

Everyone else in other departments also in the "Under Consideration by Department" stage can take a look at the above link for when your Degree Committee will meet next. (Knowing helps to ease the pain of the looooooong wait!)
(edited 8 years ago)
My application was a bit rushed this year, now waiting to upload supporting documents. Do people think it will harm my application to apply again next year if I don't get it this year? Final year undergrad, applying for MPhil Political Thought/Intellectual History
Reply 794
Original post by dreambabydream
My application was a bit rushed this year, now waiting to upload supporting documents. Do people think it will harm my application to apply again next year if I don't get it this year? Final year undergrad, applying for MPhil Political Thought/Intellectual History

Why don't you wait and see about this year's application before premptively worrying about next year's.
Original post by Impune
Why don't you wait and see about this year's application before premptively worrying about next year's.

Wise words!
Original post by bobbypin
For POLIS, the next Degree Committee meeting is January 21, which means all those who applied in December and right after the holidays, should expect to hear around early to mid-February.

http://www.student-registry.admin.cam.ac.uk/files/dc_meeting_dates_-_2015-16_v2.pdf

Everyone else in other departments also in the "Under Consideration by Department" stage can take a look at the above link for when your Degree Committee will meet next. (Knowing helps to ease the pain of the looooooong wait!)

Ah, thanks for that link :biggrin:

At this point February seems to be an age away! :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a question re. funding: When the deadline states the 6th of January, is that when all supporting documents have to be uploaded by? Or just the initial application. Many thanks
Original post by bobbypin

Don't get your hopes up too much - unless departments state specific dates on their own websites, the dates of Degree Committee meetings don't really correlate with admissions decisions.

Original post by dreambabydream
I had a question re. funding: When the deadline states the 6th of January, is that when all supporting documents have to be uploaded by? Or just the initial application. Many thanks

Initial application. You then have two weeks for references, other supporting documents etc.
Has anyone who applied for Engineering (PhD) already seen any change to their application status?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending