The Student Room Group

Children's Nursing 2016

Scroll to see replies

Same here :yes: My tutor has jumped the gun a bit and sent her my grades today rather than wait until after the 29th Jan. In fairness, I've known my grades since October, they've just not had open awards in to sign them off officially.
Hello fellow applicants , I have repetitive strain injury in my hand from constantly checking my ucas updates lol so I've applied for child nursing at Huddersfield and Bradford . App went in mid dec and haven't had any invites for interview or anything yet . Where is everyone else at ?
Original post by ameychildnurse
Got an interview on the 12th January at dmu!! So excited as this is my first choice :biggrin:

Hi, I was just wondering when you sent your UCAS application off? I am still waiting to here back from DMU. I contacted them and they said they are still considering my application. I hope your interview goes well! :smile:
Original post by grayson1988
Hi, I was just wondering when you sent your UCAS application off? I am still waiting to here back from DMU. I contacted them and they said they are still considering my application. I hope your interview goes well! :smile:

I sent mine off on the 20th November and got an invite for a test day on the 10th December :smile: and thanks!
Hi all, hope you all had a lovely christmas and new year! I have an interview for Staffordshire Uni on the 19th and one for DMU on the 20th of jan. So m7ch stuff to go over. Has anyone else any interviews for gere? x
Hi I've applied for CN at Hallam, De Montfort, Cumbria and Hertsfordshire and not heard anything back, my grades for as weren't good but BBB is achieveable for me at A2, I've done quite a bit of work experience, I got a work placement on a children's ward in my local hospital, I've done charity work for a children's charity and I'm starting work experience at a sure start centre in a few weeks, I'm also a shift manager at McDonald's but reading this thread makes me so nervous, has anyone had any offers for my chosen Unis?
Original post by emmawebb
Hi all, hope you all had a lovely christmas and new year! I have an interview for Staffordshire Uni on the 19th and one for DMU on the 20th of jan. So m7ch stuff to go over. Has anyone else any interviews for gere? x

I've got an interview for DMU on the 12th :smile:

Original post by Laurengibson9
Hi I've applied for CN at Hallam, De Montfort, Cumbria and Hertsfordshire and not heard anything back, my grades for as weren't good but BBB is achieveable for me at A2, I've done quite a bit of work experience, I got a work placement on a children's ward in my local hospital, I've done charity work for a children's charity and I'm starting work experience at a sure start centre in a few weeks, I'm also a shift manager at McDonald's but reading this thread makes me so nervous, has anyone had any offers for my chosen Unis?

I have an interview for DMU on the 12th, and had my test day for them on the 17th December :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Hi, I'm a newly qualified children's nurse here. Happy to answer any questions you guys and girls have about applying or the course itself etc! :smile:

Hello, which University did you attend?
Original post by ameychildnurse
I've got an interview for DMU on the 12th :smile:
I have an interview for DMU on the 12th, and had my test day for them on the 17th December :smile:

That's brill, DMU looks so nice, it's definintly one of my first choices! I hope everything goes well for you! Would you be able to let me know how the interview is? 😁
Original post by Laurengibson9
That's brill, DMU looks so nice, it's definintly one of my first choices! I hope everything goes well for you! Would you be able to let me know how the interview is? 😁

Yeah it's definitely one of my first choices too! And thanks! Yeah I will :smile:
Original post by Anitadonkor
Hello, which University did you attend?

I'm sorry, I don't disclose that (Or the specifics of my workplace) due to confidentiality and professional reasons.

Is there anything I can help with?
Original post by PaediatricStN
I'm sorry, I don't disclose that (Or the specifics of my workplace) due to confidentiality and professional reasons.

Is there anything I can help with?

Sorry for the question.
I have an assessment at Lsbu .. I'm soo worried and I'm panicking 😭😭
Reply 652
Hi, has anyone else applied for University of the West of England, Bristol and not heard anything else back yet?
Reply 653
also I have an interview on the 13th and 21st for two other UNI's and I am worried about the maths and English tests? if anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated?
Reply 654
Original post by allym123
Has anyone not heard from Southampton yet? They received my application on the 11th November and I've heard nothing - it's stressing me out because I know there are people here who applied after me and have got dates for interview. Is no news good news? Do you think they would have already rejected me if they were going to? :frown:

Just a bit disheartening reading that people who applied after me have dates. Checking e-mails and track every day but nothing.

Hi, I got an interview for Southampton at the end of the month and I applied on the 27th November. I only found out because I logged onto their my hub thing and it said on there, just keep checking and something will happen eventually!:smile:
Original post by yana06
also I have an interview on the 13th and 21st for two other UNI's and I am worried about the maths and English tests? if anyone has any advice that would be much appreciated?

Dont worry. Honestly. They arent trying to trick you and the questions arent difficult. if you just read them carefully. the tests are gcse:maths, addition, subtraction, devision, multiplication, percentages, fractions and some unis do conversions as well. english will just test your writing, spelling etc. they are relatively straight forward. I was really worried about the maths and english tests at 3 of my uni interviews and they were fine! try some practice papers online to calm your mind, I know brighton and bcu definatley have some practice papers online if you just search "nursing interview uni maths and english tests". Hope this helps. I know how you feel though- just try and relax xx
Is anyone going to the London protest march on saturday against the government scrapping student loan bursaries for nursing students?
Reply 657
Original post by topdot12
Dont worry. Honestly. They arent trying to trick you and the questions arent difficult. if you just read them carefully. the tests are gcse:maths, addition, subtraction, devision, multiplication, percentages, fractions and some unis do conversions as well. english will just test your writing, spelling etc. they are relatively straight forward. I was really worried about the maths and english tests at 3 of my uni interviews and they were fine! try some practice papers online to calm your mind, I know brighton and bcu definatley have some practice papers online if you just search "nursing interview uni maths and english tests". Hope this helps. I know how you feel though- just try and relax xx

Thankyou so much was a big help having practise papers! x
Original post by Anitadonkor
Sorry for the question.
I have an assessment at Lsbu .. I'm soo worried and I'm panicking 😭😭

That's alright :smile:

You have nothing to panic about - although I know it doesn't seem that way. Remember that they aren't trying to trick you, they just want to give you a platform on which to showcase yourself.

Remember the standard interview techniques like to answer the question being asked, to speak clearly, sit upright etc etc.

Also, have a read of the NMC Code of Conduct (2015) and the NHS Constitution as often these specifically (Or more likely their principles) come up in interview questions. Make sure your answers are non-judgemental and non-discriminatory. Anything like that will lose you a place almost instantly.

Have different, but good examples ready for the common questions such as "Give us an example of a time where you have overcome a challenging situation". If you Google, then I think it's Studential provide a long list of questions used in nursing interviews. Have a think about answers to those and you won't go far wrong.

If it's a group interview, just make sure you get the balance right - don't say nothing, but don't say too much. Don't completely disregard other people's ideas, and show good team working and get others involved who aren't saying much. If it's a group with applicants for other branches of nursing, make sure you stick to things that are relevant to the field you have applied for (I'm assuming this is children's!)

For the maths tests, there are sample papers available on Brighton and Birmingham City universities websites. Although these won't be the exact same as LSBUs they are likely to be of a similar standard. Print them off and practice them. BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths is good for anything you need a recap on.

If you browse round some of the other threads, there'll be loads more stuff that may help you - from me and others too. Just remember we can't discuss specific interview details for certain universities here, as that gives others an unfair advantage. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by yana06
Hi, I got an interview for Southampton at the end of the month and I applied on the 27th November. I only found out because I logged onto their my hub thing and it said on there, just keep checking and something will happen eventually!:smile:

Was your interview for Southampton University or Southampton Solent as I have applied for Southampton as well but I haven't heard anything about the my hub site and just worried that i have missed a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending