The Student Room Group

KCL Postgraduate Applicants/Offer Holders 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michill
I got a conditional offer with War Studies with only one reference in. But you're definitely right it's probably different for each department.

Ooo, really? That makes me happy, yet again .. its holidays so I doubt they will really look at the applications before January.
If you don't mind me asking how long did it take for you to get the offer?
Reply 21
So did you guys stick to the word limit of 4000 characters?
Original post by ahllb

I did, and it was very hard since it included spaces too.
Reply 23
Original post by aipoissac
Ooo, really? That makes me happy, yet again .. its holidays so I doubt they will really look at the applications before January.
If you don't mind me asking how long did it take for you to get the offer?

Yeah no prob! Application sent Oct 25, first reference sent Nov 15, offer Nov 27
My final referee uploaded her reference today - let the wait begin! Applying for the MA in French.
Original post by ahllb

I called the admissions office and they said that they recommend staying within 4000 characters unless you really really cant (eg. if youve had loads of experience in a relevant field).
Original post by nattwinsor
I called the admissions office and they said that they recommend staying within 4000 characters unless you really really cant (eg. if youve had loads of experience in a relevant field).

Uhoh.
Original post by ggggg123
Mine definitely wasn't and I got an offer so I wouldn't stress.

Maybe you were an extraordinary candidate :smile:), I would kind of stress trying to stay within the limit unless you are an amazing candidate. I have heard from numerous admissions officers that they hate candidates that write long personal statements when they could be much shorter. I mean, it is hard to limit yourself, I know because I basically felt like I had to delete half of my essay, but better sure than sorry right?
Ahh I was just coming on here to ask about 4000 characters - I was slightly confused by them saying 4000 or if it's longer than that upload a separate document! I'll try to stick to it!

I graduated last year and there's a course here that I can't find anywhere else, but it only accepts 13FT and 5PT students! Applications for jobs have so far not been particularly successful, but I really really want this so am pretty nervous about writing my personal statement for it!
Fourth of January cannot come soon enough.
Reply 30
Just wanna check. Those who got offer(be it conditional or unconditional), does KCL request for deposit of £2000 for acceptance of their offer? :/
Reply 31
Original post by kokomdy
Just wanna check. Those who got offer(be it conditional or unconditional), does KCL request for deposit of £2000 for acceptance of their offer? :/

They request a deposit of £1000 in order to accept your place.
Original post by ahllb
I couldn't find one for PG 2016 KCL students, so here goes.

Anybody out there? Slightly early!

I got an unconditional offer for MA International Peace & Security. I still haven't decided whether I'll go or not...
Hey, does anyone know what steps the admission process goes through?
Since the time I submitted the application it is showing as "received and being processed" (19th of December). Does it goes straight to decision from there or are there any steps in between?
I tried to find it on the portal, but it is kind of confusing and not much information given..
Hey, does anyone know what steps the admission process goes through?
Since the time I submitted the application it is showing as "received and being processed" (19th of December). Does it goes straight to decision from there or are there any steps in between?
I tried to find it on the portal, but it is kind of confusing and not much information given..

I have the same question.

I have applied for a Research Master's degree in Philosophy. The application was completed on 10th of Dec (two references were submitted) and the status changed to 'received and being processed'.

The week before Xmas, the status of all documents were changed to either 'Document is OK', or 'Suitable for assessment', or 'Document Format OK for assessment', but the overall status is still 'received and being processed'.

Does anyone knows what happens next?
Original post by Herbert Hu
I have the same question.
Does anyone knows what happens next?

I think it is going to happen like that, I read again little further and it says in that long message "As soon as an initial decision regarding your application has been made, then this statement will be updated".
So I guess it is just going to stay like that until we have admission or rejection :frown:
I think it is going to happen like that, I read again little further and it says in that long message "As soon as an initial decision regarding your application has been made, then this statement will be updated".
So I guess it is just going to stay like that until we have admission or rejection :frown:

I applied KCL last year for a MA in Philosophy. The offer was made about 5 days after the status of all documents were changed.

I'm just not sure if a longer waiting = a rejection, because it has been about 5 days (excluding the holiday) after the document status has changed this time.
Original post by Herbert Hu

I'm just not sure if a longer waiting = a rejection, because it has been about 5 days (excluding the holiday) after the document status has changed this time.

Oh no, now you are scaring me! :frown:

I have just checked my last year's application. It actually took them 17 working days for the offer. So, I assume we will hear the decision on the 4th week after the application.

When did you complete yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending