The Student Room Group

GCSE french

my coursework is an A which is worth 60%, however i am really bad at the exams and i am considering doing foundation for the listening and higher for the reading will i be able to get a B overall?
Original post by ameenatariq
my coursework is an A which is worth 60%, however i am really bad at the exams and i am considering doing foundation for the listening and higher for the reading will i be able to get a B overall?

Is it worth doing foundation as the highest you can get is a C and you can get a C easily in the higher paper (I think it's 50%ish)?

Well done with your coursework! That can be your lifesaver if listening doesn't go to plan.
Original post by drapplepilot
Is it worth doing foundation as the highest you can get is a C and you can get a C easily in the higher paper (I think it's 50%ish)?

Well done with your coursework! That can be your lifesaver if listening doesn't go to plan.

when i mean im bad i mean grade D/E bad. Listening is 20%

All depends on the UMS you get and if it's a high or low A. I'd say that you should try your best to get a B in the exams as you have plenty of time to revise vocab and practice exercises till May. It's all about practice with languages - give it time to see your progress
Original post by h8skoooooool
All depends on the UMS you get and if it's a high or low A. I'd say that you should try your best to get a B in the exams as you have plenty of time to revise vocab and practice exercises till May. It's all about practice with languages - give it time to see your progress

do you really think i can get a B like, i get D and E's but i dont really try in the exams so, this time im defiantly going to try. But i feel like foundation is easier?
do you really think i can get a B like, i get D and E's but i dont really try in the exams so, this time im defiantly going to try. But i feel like foundation is easier?

Foundation is way easier, but harder to get a C I'd say. If you really want a B overall then put the work in and go for higher. My friend got an E in her listening but still ended up with a C overall due to a high A in coursework and a decent reading exam mark (can't remember the grade) - so it's worth the risk.

If you got 100% in your coursework, you would already have a C without taking any exam (as an overall, I know you got an A in your coursework)

therefore, since you did well in your coursework, if you get a C or a B in the real exam you'll probably get a B overall at foundation paper. Just remember that just because you want to do foundation, doesn't mean you'll get a C because you have your coursework there too to bump your grade up!
Reply 7

I was a high B/ low A in course work however my speaking and listening were U's...I know how you feel

I managed to get a tutor 4 weeks before the exam and she picked out my strangths and weakness and advised I should take foundation

I recommend you look on Tutorhunt or something have a good look around and then talk to you parents about it
Choose the type of teacher your comfortable with(for me it was a female teacher)

Hope this helps
Reply 8

Yeah you will.
Original post by Bains03
I was a high B/ low A in course work however my speaking and listening were U's...I know how you feel

I managed to get a tutor 4 weeks before the exam and she picked out my strangths and weakness and advised I should take foundation

I recommend you look on Tutorhunt or something have a good look around and then talk to you parents about it
Choose the type of teacher your comfortable with(for me it was a female teacher)

Hope this helps

no i dont want tuition. .
Original post by h8skoooooool
Foundation is way easier, but harder to get a C I'd say. If you really want a B overall then put the work in and go for higher. My friend got an E in her listening but still ended up with a C overall due to a high A in coursework and a decent reading exam mark (can't remember the grade) - so it's worth the risk.

no but i would like a B not a C

Quick Reply

Latest