The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DylanJ42
Hey guys, I hope FP3 is going good for everyone, I have a question about matrices and inverses;

I have a query about Question 1b

Here is my working (I am aware simult equations is the best method, however what is wrong with the method i used)

I am assuming, bar some silly arithmetic error, that this is wrong because the inverse of the inverse of a transformation doesn't give you the transformation itself ie (T1)1T (T^{-1})^{-1} \neq T , if this is the case, could someone please explain why

Sorry but that is true. Shud be equals not =/=
If T is a square matrix and not singular ofcourse.
(A)(A)^-1=A^-1(A)=I
Note (AB)^-1=B^-1A^-1 *

Now (AA^-1)^-1=I^-1=I
(AA^-1)^-1= (A^-1)^-1(A^-1)=I
(A^-1)^-1(A^-1)(A)=IA=A
(A^-1)^-1=A qed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Sorry but that is true. Shud be equals not =/=
If T is a square matrix and not singular ofcourse.
(A)(A)^-1=A^-1(A)=I
Note (AB)^-1=B^-1A^-1 *

Now (AA^-1)^-1=I^-1=I
(AA^-1)^-1= (A^-1)^-1(A^-1)=I
(A^-1)^-1(A^-1)(A)=IA=A
(A^-1)^-1=A qed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I originally assumed equals, but due to my answer being wrong and finding no mistakes in my workings I thought it must be "not equals", thank you for clearing it up though :biggrin:

Very impressive :chaplin:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I looked at the simultaneous equations and got to z coordinate -(15/4)t with that as well, maybe an error in the answers?

Let's go with that :laugh: Thank you for your help :biggrin:
Joining.
Reply 45
Joining for the banter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not looking forward to this :smile:
I'm noticing that on the edexcel website both the FP2 and FP3 papers from pre 2008/2009 have (legacy) beside them. What does this mean? thanks :smile:
I'm noticing that on the edexcel website both the FP2 and FP3 papers from pre 2008/2009 have (legacy) beside them. What does this mean? thanks :smile:

Probably that they are based on the old P5/P6 syllabus
Reply 49
Self teaching myself FP3. Anyone know of any good FP3 textbook? :tongue:
Original post by shamika
Probably that they are based on the old P5/P6 syllabus

Ah okay, how much of the p5/p6 content overlaps with the fp2/fp3 content? Is there enough of an overlap to use the legcay papers as proper past papers, or will it just be a case of picking the odd question from them?
Original post by kkboyk

can you make it Kel?
Ah okay, how much of the p5/p6 content overlaps with the fp2/fp3 content? Is there enough of an overlap to use the legcay papers as proper past papers, or will it just be a case of picking the odd question from them?

I believe it's nearly identical except P5 had intrinsic coordinates which was needed in M6. If you give me a link to the legacy papers I can tell you for sure.

I have the P5/6 books so.
P5
Hyperbolic functions(FP3)
Differentiation(hyperbolic FP3 stuff)
Integration (hyperbolic FP3 stuff)
Coordinate systems(FP3)(one extra thing is intrinsic coordinates and radius of curvature)
P6
Maclauring taylor(Fp2)
Complex numbers (FP2)
Matrix algebra(FP3)
Vectors(FP3)
Numerical methods(FP2)
Proof(induction etc)
So P5/6 extremely helpful for FP2/3. I woukd just do the 'Old papers pack' on physicsandmathstutor which have like 100 old questions. Then do all papers including R/IAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk

Edexcel one is really good tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Proxenus
can you make it Kel?

Almost finished with all my Mahs modules.

Edexcel one is really good tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I'll try it.
Just starting Fp3. Hopefully I can finish Matrices and make a decent start on vectors this week. I recall finding vectors difficult.

Hopefully it sticks.
Original post by shamika
I believe it's nearly identical except P5 had intrinsic coordinates which was needed in M6. If you give me a link to the legacy papers I can tell you for sure.

I think physicsmaths has cleared it up, thank you anyway :biggrin: Also M6 meaning mechanics 6? :eek: why was it removed?

I have the P5/6 books so.
P5
Hyperbolic functions(FP3)
Differentiation(hyperbolic FP3 stuff)
Integration (hyperbolic FP3 stuff)
Coordinate systems(FP3)(one extra thing is intrinsic coordinates and radius of curvature)
P6
Maclauring taylor(Fp2)
Complex numbers (FP2)
Matrix algebra(FP3)
Vectors(FP3)
Numerical methods(FP2)
Proof(induction etc)
So P5/6 extremely helpful for FP2/3. I woukd just do the 'Old papers pack' on physicsandmathstutor which have like 100 old questions. Then do all papers including R/IAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow they are almost identical :redface: Are the R papers more difficult or is that just a myth I've heard somewhere?

I would just do the 'Old papers pack' on physicsandmathstutor which have like 100 old questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be nice if physicsandmathstutor acknowledged the efforts of Graham from Edexcel in putting these packs together.

Likewise the Gold papers etc.
Reply 59
I haven't started on matrices yet, and I'll be needing to revise vectors as well. Can anyone tell me what the matrices chapter is like? Seems a little drab.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending