The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bj1
Anyone applying for Natural Sciences and heard yet? Haven't seen it mentioned on here very much if at all! I'm relying on them to get me over my Oxford rejection!

Also how easy is it to change the subjects you are doing for NatSci e.g. Changing a different subject or switching to a single subject? Just wondering!

I got rejected too, so now anxiously waiting for Durham decisions
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by bj1
Anyone applying for Natural Sciences and heard yet? Haven't seen it mentioned on here very much if at all! I'm relying on them to get me over my Oxford rejection!

Also how easy is it to change the subjects you are doing for NatSci e.g. Changing a different subject or switching to a single subject? Just wondering!

Hello! I am an ex natural scientist, now chemist at Durham. It depends on the subjects. At university, each module has a set of prerequisites. If you satisfy those you can transfer no questions asked. Otherwise you might have to seek a concession, where the department decides whether to take you, usually subject to additional work. At the offer holders open day there is a lecture on this.

What subjects are you considering taking? I may know further details :smile:
Reply 1162
Original post by a.j.lovett
Hello! I am an ex natural scientist, now chemist at Durham. It depends on the subjects. At university, each module has a set of prerequisites. If you satisfy those you can transfer no questions asked. Otherwise you might have to seek a concession, where the department decides whether to take you, usually subject to additional work. At the offer holders open day there is a lecture on this.
What subjects are you considering taking? I may know further details :smile:

Thank you so much for your quick reply, just as I was typing this I got an email - I just received an offer from Durham! To use some chemistry terms, it has pretty much almost neutralised the acid of the Oxford rejection! :biggrin:

I chose Biology and Earth Sciences. It would have been biology and chemistry (I applied for biochemistry elsewhere), however since I dropped maths after AS and I did ask about this on the open day and he said there'd be no point in applying for chemistry.

Since I do geography A Level as well and prefer the physical side and I am also interested in environmental science and that sort of thing, is why I chose ES.
However I wasn't so sure now because of two reasons:
I sometimes wondered if it was 'too much geology and rocks' (though I haven't seen the exact course modules or how many that I could choose) and the biology modules become more on ecology rather than cellular/genetics - but I think you can change this unless it 'clashes'?

And also the higher entry requirement, A*AA as opposed to normal Biology/MSc Biosciences, the 4 year one ( both AAA)

During the open day it was explained that you could choose various modules, a certain amount of credits each totalling to a certain number - unfortunately I've forgotten all the specifics but from what I understand would it be possible to do say 60:40, or 80:20 rather than 50:50 of each subject (if the total credits are 100, for example)

Since I now have an offer I think I'd stick with it - I'm not sure if it's wise for me to ask to switch to a single subject after receiving an offer - but what do you think?
I will certainly have to work extra hard this year, and to give 'earth sciences' a try, I'm sure it will be interesting and if I don't like it I guess I could drop it after the first year!
If I were you, I'd stick with your offer for now, worry about getting your grades. Chemistry is a problem subject at Durham because they have restrictions on the number of students that can be taken due to the size of the labs. As far as I am aware, that is not an issue for biology and Earth sciences.

If I were you, wait until you get your results. You can transfer courses after you have revieved your A levels but before you come to Durham. You will need to email the relevant people at the university (ie head of natural sciences) and they will sort it.

At Durham, the deadline for module choices is the 3rd week of first term. After that you cannot change modules. So if you were really undecided, you try the course for a week before deciding if you want to change.

Also I recommend looking at the modules on the university website. And not just the first year, look at second and third year modules. They will give you a better idea of what you can study.

Ps a typical degree consists of 120 credits per year of which 100 are fixed and 20 you can chose (known as an elective module). Your elective module can be from another department. The earth sciences department offer elective modules, which might interest you.

I hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got an offer for maths! (4 years):smile:
Original post by mhamill864
Still waiting on an offer for MMath (European Studies). Was really hoping to hear earlier than this as Durham is my first choice. Has anyone got an offer for this course yet? My grades are
GCSE: 11 A*s
AS: 4As
Predicted: 4A*s
I also applied for Cambridge and so my UCAS has been in since early October, I'm a bit worried because I've heard Durham are reluctant to give offers to people they think have applied to Oxbridge. Is there any truth in this?

I don't think it does because I applied to Oxford but got an offer for liberal arts from Durham on November 26 :smile: possibly how early or late they reply depends on the course but whatever the case I wouldn't worry as you have fantastic grades and predicted grades! :smile:
Original post by bj1

Usually very easy. I transferred from Natural Sciences to Physics about a week before arriving, and there were no issues with it :smile:
still waiting for IR.

Praying the next track email is an acceptance rather than a rejection. I'll start putting track on push notifications because this is stressing me out to the max
(edited 8 years ago)
Got an offer from Durham (law) an hour after being rejected by Oxford. What a nerve wracking day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leehoma
Got an offer from Durham (law) an hour after being rejected by Oxford. What a nerve wracking day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats on the offer!! :smile:
when did you send in your application and take the LNATs? i've been waiting for ages and it's killing me :frown:
Original post by ard1246
Has anybody received an offer from Durham for law? They're the last for me to hear back from!

I haven't either... which other unis did you apply to? :smile:
I applied in early Oct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who knows the details about applying liberal arts with foundation?!?!
Original post by qwertyasdfghj
Anyone got a history offer?

No not yet!! Applied 20th October, hopefully we will hear soon :smile:
Waiting on MMath (European Studies)
GCSE's: 10A*'s 2A's
AS: 5A's 1B
A2 (predicted): A*A*A

Does anyone else have an offer for Maths :s-smilie: I didn't apply to Oxbridge and this is my top choice so i'm really hoping for an offer. Do they tend to give them out after the 15th?
Has anyone heard anything back from Durham regarding English lit? It's my last offer to come through and I'm getting so nervous
Original post by KatMcG
Has anyone heard anything back from Durham regarding English lit? It's my last offer to come through and I'm getting so nervous

I'm literally in the same situation!!! Heard of no-one apart from joint lit courses! I'm so scared
Original post by emilyhaighjacobs
I'm literally in the same situation!!! Heard of no-one apart from joint lit courses! I'm so scared

So glad to find someone else in the same situation! I've seen people getting accepted for liberal arts but none for just straight english, though some of my friends have received offers from science departments- hoping English waits until the UCAS deadline to look at applications and that's why they take longer :smile:
Original post by KatMcG
So glad to find someone else in the same situation! I've seen people getting accepted for liberal arts but none for just straight english, though some of my friends have received offers from science departments- hoping English waits until the UCAS deadline to look at applications and that's why they take longer :smile:

I got an offer at 4.45 today for English lit so maybe they're starting to give out offers. I applied early, 12th Oct, which is why I've heard today...at the top of their pile? hope you hear back soon :biggrin:
Original post by georgiaf
I got an offer at 4.45 today for English lit so maybe they're starting to give out offers. I applied early, 12th Oct, which is why I've heard today...at the top of their pile? hope you hear back soon :biggrin:

Oh gosh congratulations!!! You must be so so happy!! Thanks, so do I! I hope you don't mind me asking but what GCSEs did you get? x

Quick Reply

Latest